Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 16:47   #1

pirate Sailing a 41 herreshoff, built 1929 from Maine to Australia, via Mediterranean

We are buying a classic 41 foot Herreshoff, built 1929 . the boat is in very good condition, being prepared for the voyage as we speak. The surveyor is very experienced and is waiting for the weather to warm for the final hull inspection.
I would like some input as to which route I should be planing for to the initial leg to Europe.

Thanks for any input.
Orsandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 20:16   #2

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner
Re: Sailing a 41 herreshoff, built 1929 from Maine to Australia, via Mediterranean

It would only be polite to post photos of your classic beast. I would presume there have been some updates since 29 so that you don,t need a large crew and a hold full of slaves to trade. Also without hearing your story to date would not a coastal cruise south be prudent before a long passage? The trades from June/ July to the Azores and then across to Portugal and into the Med or, as you are in Maine taking the iceberg route and a season in the UK. Fair Winds. Jim and Barbara
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 23:40   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailing a 41 herreshoff, built 1929 from Maine to Australia, via Mediterranean

Orsandro,

Pics would be nice.

Some of here have difficulty offering advice to people of unknown experience and fitness. So I'll keep quiet, and only question whether you then planned to leave the Med on the old sailing routes and head via Brazil to South Africa or if you plan to brave the canal and pirates?

Ann
Old 12-02-2015, 07:16   #4

am I right that her name is ALBACORE ?
She 's a really beauty - so you 're a lucky owner...
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Sailing a 41 herreshoff, built 1929 from Maine to Australia, via Mediterranean

While I am a tad light on offshore, my geography is pretty good.

Routing from the U.S. to Oz via the Med puts you going through the Red Sea - passing some of the most politically unstable areas in the world. I mean the CIA just pulled out of Yemen!

You sure you don't want to wait and round the cape???
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

I recommend you pick up a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes...Admiralty Charts and Sailing Directions and various other pubs.
Good Luck...
Mystktravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:06   #7

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

There's an old saying: "If there's anything wrong with your boat, the sea will find it out".

Personally, I'd do a season in Maine/ New England/ Bay of Fundy/ Nova Scotia etc. before doing a transatlantic on an unfamiliar 85 year old wooden boat. Test out the boat, test out your systems, equipment and test yourselves.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 17:05   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Here's an interesting way to visualize a route. It's the earth wind map.

earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 17:24   #9

Here's some pics of Albacore. Truly a beautiful & historic ketch.

“Albacore” – 41′ Herreshoff Auxiliary Ketch – 1929 – $239,000 | David Jones Yacht Brokerage
Old 12-02-2015, 17:58   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Did you see the cover of Ocean Navigator in this link? Article title of "Knife to the Throat- Pirate Attack in Yemen".... now is that irony or just a coincidence?

Matt
Old 12-02-2015, 18:21   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If you decide on the norther routes would suggest early rather than late season. Of late it seams more extra tropical storms seam to be following the gulf stream from the Caribbean and pounding UK and northern areas from August. May to mid July seams much better
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 18:24   #12

Or is it a sign, don't take that route! There's a lot of cool boats for sale on that site.
Old 12-02-2015, 19:40   #13

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Very Nice. Monel fastenings. Sounds good, I always worry about old wooden boats, and have had a couple of frights, the last one being looking for a leak and seeing the whole rudder post swaying with every swell and a little spurt of water coming through each time! But she sounds like shes been rebuilt properly. I'd not trust the single forestay to the bowsprit offshore, better to set up some sort of inner forestay to the stem while deepsea.

Also the herrreshoff offset hatch is a bit of a liability in a knockdown so make sure it's shut in squally conditions, still we have survived for years on my folks Mobjack with the same setup.

Maybe see you down here in Hobart for the wooden boat show in 2017?

Cheers

Tags
Australia, maine, mediterranean, sail, sailing