Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 17:30   #46

Re: Sailboats vs. Powerboats which is better?

I have owned both power and sail. Two differences I see are that sail boats are more stable and comfortable in most conditions, and, power boats allow you to go into shallower water. I think everyone should have one of each.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:23   #47

I recently wrestled with the same questions and opted for sail. First for the items you already mentioned, more room. Second, less mechanical issues and economy. I don't need to get anywhere in a hurry. What's the old saying, its about the journey and not the destination. Power boats have a lot more mechanical issues to go wrong. My sailboat has a small outboard when power is needed. Its just enough. While I still have a lot to learn about sailing, the learning has been fun and its nice to move along at six knots, not coating a dime and just enjoying the sound of the wind and the waves. I have no regrets in my decision to choose the sailing option.
Dove1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:08   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I grew up on motor boats, and learned to sail when I was 15. I stayed with sailboats. I find the main difference between the two is attitude. Motorboat people want to get someplace, sailors want to sail, getting someplace is good too. My enjoyment starts when the dock lines are cast. Most power boat people I know want to get someplace, then have fun. Both points of view are valid, just different.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:37   #49

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

It depends on whether survival of our species matters to you..
Old 10-08-2018, 07:39   #50
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If you just want to live on the water or cruise flat water, get a houseboat with a couple of outboards. Some are built like RV's, cheap and spacious with all the comforts of home. They are easy to rehab and some fixer-uppers are unbelievably cheap
Old 10-08-2018, 08:19   #51

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

My wife and I bought a 1982 Catalina 25 about 5 years ago. We had a small marina lined up for her. She cost $2600. Ugly but dry as a bone with good rigging. The outboard engine was shot and we blew out the main sail the first time out. We replaced the sails and bought a second hand outboard. Learned a lot about taking care of a boat. Bought a cheap one so that if it was a huge mistake it wasn’t a big deal. Meant we could sell her for $1 and walk away or if she was in danger at sea we could just leave her and not worry about losing a lot of $$.

Had a great 4 years sailing, taking weekend on the LI sound on her and honing our boating skills. Sold her for $5000 last summer and got a bigger faster sailboat. Right now we are in the Caribbean sailing and get back to home in NYC tomorrow.

There area number of marinas outside of NYC on Long Island and in CT where you could store her and sail out of with great destinations in easy reach. => one of our friends lives in Manhattan and keeps his boat 45 min train ride from NYC. He goes Friday after work and cruises the Long Island Sound for the weekend. Take a the train back to work on Monday morning.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34   #52

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

In my humble opinion sailboats generally ride rough water better than powerboats. I've been on trawlers that rolled much more noticeably in water that a sailboat would hardly roll at all. Big factor is that keel and sail plan. Just sayin, something to consider. Oh yeah I had an engine quit on my a mile out in the channel and it wasn't a big deal, just hoisted sail and saved myself a tow bill not to mention the time waiting on a tow boat.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
I'm looking at used boats in the 20 to 40 foot range and it always seems like sailboats offer much more room cabin room and length too for the $ than powerboats do. I've even seen some in for sale in the price range of $4500 or $6500. Agree or disagree? What's the catch?

Here's one in Brooklyn or $1500 that's even cheaper than a jet ski and possibly an inflatable plus an outboard.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...660266607.html

Sounds like you know Nothing about Boating-- If I were you, I would start off with $1500 one..Have you seen a 40'er in your price range??
Holeinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:40   #54

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

What is your purpose for buying a boat? Start there.

Sailing is an activity, a sport for many. If you want the participate in that sport, you need a sailboat.

Any boat is a vehicle. If getting there quickly your vehicle needs to be a power boat. If traveling a long distance, sailing is better, your vehicle needs to be a sailboat.

If you want to live aboard at the dock and not go very far, probably a powerboat is best.

If you are looking simply at sq footage vs cost, why get a boat at all?
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:57   #55

This is perfect for those slow backwaters, plenty of room on the top deck and great space below.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:01   #56

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
I have owned both power and sail. Two differences I see are that sail boats are more stable and comfortable in most conditions, and, power boats allow you to go into shallower water. I think everyone should have one of each.

Depends.
Sailboats anchored near us get rolled every time a ferry goes past.
We on the other hand barely notice them.
And we draw 6+ ft
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:32   #57

From the wording of your post, you give the impression 'room' is your priority. How much cubic feet do I get for this length.

For cubic feet, look at canal boats in Europe.

A scow has a blunt snoot instead of a pointy thing in front, so the scow bow offers more interior space.

Your question might be answered by Dmitry Orlov and his Quidnon concept. Quidnon offers plenty of room for several adults, a sauna, a fireplace, and is designed to be easily beachable so it converts to a condo.

Quidnons are sailing in Alaska and in New Zealand and Australia, so the concept is proven. And they are in your stated dimensions.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:50   #58

A Caucasian preacher in the Philippine Islands uses a hand-me-down sailboat with the rigging removed converted into a long lean powerboat.

Although outside your dimensions, CARABAO 2 illustrates the ingenuity and creativity of making do with what you have.

The CARABAO 2 interior space is in the shape of a rifle range, with much of it consisting of the equivalent of a hallway. Bunks and countertops hinge out of the way during those times they are not needed. He drydocked it to remove most of the keel, and according to reports, he gets astounding MPG / KPL. I seem to remember something in the neighborhood of 12-15 miles per gallon.

Without the upkeep required of sails and rigging.

The preacher seems like a decent person, so if you ask about his conversion, he might steer you toward something similar.

PS:
Semper Gumby. As your vision evolves, you may discover your goals change.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:04   #59

Boat: Catalina 30

Wonderful overview of boating and tough decisions to make.

OP - I will add to the stew, who will be doing the work? Buying an old boat which is cheap, very cheap, usually means it needs something. Do you have mechanical skills, electrical skills, construction or carpentry skills, sewing skills, plumbing skills? Probably if good in one you can handle other things. A rule of thumb given to me by a large yacht owner, 48' trawler, was 10 to 20 percent of the value of the boat is what you should expect to pay someone to service your boat - and more to fix it.

I own a Catalina 30 which is great, I love sailing her, and spend weekends and leave on her. I just acquired an Ocean Yachts 46 Sunliner which was in the condition of derelict. I expect to do almost all the work on her and spend about $30K to get her to nice condition and liveaboard. But in three years.
Old 10-08-2018, 19:30   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
If you just want to live on the water or cruise flat water, get a houseboat with a couple of outboards. Some are built like RV's, cheap and spacious with all the comforts of home. They are easy to rehab and some fixer-uppers are unbelievably cheap
My favorite in this category is the old Cruise-a-homes built around Seattle. The hull design used was actually from a commercial fishing boat working out of Westport Washington so there is no question of its seaworthiness. The design is basically that of a trawler but the accommodations are like a 33 foot and 40 foot motorhome. You can occasionally find them for sale at a reasonable price but there is now a lot of people especially in urban ports looking for them and fixing them up because they make a great water condo.
Cruise·A·Home Owners Page
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat