Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 08:46   #61

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
Re: Sailboats vs. Powerboats which is better?

OK, which is better? I have owned both from a 44 foot steel hulled Ketch to a 34 foot fiberglass Trawler. All have their uses.

BUT, often, when discussing sail vs motor, I make this statement. "My sailboat may be slow compared to your trawler, but I will race you from San Diego to Tokyo.". This points out the biggest difference. You can sail around the world and you can always get home in a sailboat. A power boat is limited by its fuel capacity and if the fuel runs out or the engine fails a mile from shore, its a long swim.

My current boat is a Mainship 34 trawler. My wife and I are in our 80s. No one our age belongs on the foredeck of a sailboat. But aesthetically, I LOVE SAILING. The trip, not the destination is the goal with sailing.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:27   #62

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

Open water get a sailboat.
ICW rivers and lakes get a trawler.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32   #63

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The op obviously want to troll as they never came back. So obviously they need a small power boat with no standing rigging.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:21   #64

For a youtube video by a couple who switched from a motorboat to an affordable sailing catamaran check out the Nov 13 2017 Tula's Endless Summer youtube video. One of the primary reasons for the switch was the cost of diesel to power the motorboat since they traveled long distances.
drcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 13:29   #65

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcat View Post
For a youtube video by a couple who switched from a motorboat to an affordable sailing catamaran check out the Nov 13 2017 Tula's Endless Summer youtube video. One of the primary reasons for the switch was the cost of diesel to power the motorboat since they traveled long distances.
There are other options if economy, space, and ease of handling are priorities. Look at the PDQ 34 powercat. It has a sailing catamaran hull, small diesel engines, 2 full staterooms, and quite a bit of space. (not going to get one in the OPs target price range of course, but that is true of virtually all decent cruising boats)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 19:44   #66

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

As we started to approach the 70 year old mark a few yeas ago we decided to buy a motor sailer instead of our then straight sailboat. We bought a Cheoy Lee 43 pilot house ketch and have been more than pleased with her. Having the advantage of some 2500 mile range under power and a fairly reasonable sailing capability has seen us cruising the east coast of Australia for the past 4 years. So I would go with the motor sailer option. Fishers and M/S vessels fit the size length requirements.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:07   #67

We have been sailing only for 7 years now, the last 5 on our 44 ft sailboat.
We love hanging out at anchor after a nice destination sail. However, the wife does not enjoy 5- 6 hours of sometimes heavy rollers on our sailing destination trips. So, we have started to think about a powerboat. We could get to our destination quicker, but may experience the rolling seas in a potentially worse way? There is also the potential ease of docking with twin engines and pod drives. Also, we could expand our range of destinations, given our limited weekend time to get out. On the other hand, I would be going to the dark side......

We have listed the sailboat for sale, and are absolutely torn in our decision. We are only in our mid 50's and have lots of years ahead of us on the water. Plus, we now have a house near our marina, so we are not living aboard the boat except when we head out for long weekends. Looking at used Beneteau 45 Oceanis vs Meridian 44 power and many others. Ahhhhh!!! What to do???

Also, I don't see many powerboats at anchor, they all seem to pay to dock at the marina. What gives? Do they flail around too much at anchor, or is it different personality thing, they want the party atmosphere at the dock? I rarely see a powerboat with a substantial anchor, so I assume they just don't anchor for very long.
rocdoc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15   #68

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I was over 60 when I switched from sail to power due to getting caught in blow and having difficulty sail handling coming back north from Mexico one day.
We bought a stabilized DeFever 54 and lived aboard her for another 10 years. Always anchored out except at Catalina where we picked up a mooring. Highly recommend a larger powerboat!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12   #69

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

This just an anecdote. I was raised with a 36 ft. Owens cabin cruiser based out of back bay Newport Beach, California on which we went to Catalina sometimes 3 times per month and always a couple of one or two week trips there. I was young and my dad and uncles were self taught sailors. They used to run the big Chrysler hemis at speeds that put nearly the entire boat out of the water whenever we encountered the wakes of all the Navy ships, mostly destroyers, that sped up and down the coast protecting us from I suppose sampans. When we saw one me and my cousin Johnny would run to the pulpit and hang on. Great fun, we never had lifejackets on. A different time. My actual story is that one year ago my wife and I were bringing our Cape George up from Channel Islands Harbor to Humboldt Bay. Mana has a full keel, weighs 23,000 lbs and we started with 200 gallons of diesel and 150 gallons of water. South of Santa Cruz we encountered 55 kts with higher gusts and pretty fair sized seas on the nose for about 10 hours on a totally moonless night. We were motoring. We never had blue water on deck that either of us saw. 19 foot breaking seas were predicted and reported. When we got to Santa Cruz we spent a few days doing some electrical repair. While there we met two crews that came in from the south the same morning as us. One was a guy with a 50 Hylas, who told us he counted about a 100 humpbacks during that time. We were glad we had not seen any. The other boat was a 80 or 90 power boat, sort of looked like a sportfisher, with a professional crew. Some of the crew said they were done and were leaving the boat there as they, including the captain, told us they had blue water over they pilothouse, which was really far above their waterline. After a couple of days they relented as time heals a lot of wounds it seems. I don't know what this story means, but our compared courses were really close to each other. I always feel like Mana is a little duck bobbing up and over the seas. I imagine we may end up with a power boat one day, but maybe not.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:23   #70

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdoc22 View Post
I would be going to the dark side......
we are not living aboard the boat except when we head out for long weekends. Looking at used Beneteau 45 Oceanis vs Meridian 44 power and many others.

Ahhhhh!!! What to do???
The ONLY reason for a coastal cruiser to have a sailboat is if BOTH partners LOVE SAILING. If you don't love it, why do it?

Otherwise, for weekends on the water, get a powerboat.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:59   #71

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

A happy wife is a happy life....

Some things to think about as to a motor vessel.

1. Leave early to what ever destination , and on your return , when the seas are calm, and the wind waves have not built up on top of the swells.

2. Be prepared to hammer the credit card for substantial fuel charges.

3. The large motor vessel owners may have more money to spend, so they pay for a slip, and not have the effort to dink in and back to their boat. Aye, and a shorter elapsed time to the bar and restaurant.

4. Sailing, and again I mean sailing to Catalina, took about five or six hours from our home port at Newport Beach. Power boat, is about two beer miles and at 12 kts cruising, 26 miles, you are there mucho quicker than sailing into the wind on a sailing vessel. More time on island .

5. Sailing the BVI, we used a total of 7 gals of fuel in two weeks. The condomaximals motor, and spend nearly $ 1000.oo or more . Same for power boats. This is what I have seen posted, but have not personally paid for that much fuel.

6. Lots of comfortable space on board a motor vessel, with plenty of room to move about, party, kick back, and sleep and play. Ease if docking with twin engine power boat.

We have talked this over, should we ever think about a power boat.

What kind

1. Trawler....kind of like motoring a sailing vessels, but more comfortable, no reefing, no sail handling, and plenty of room to live aboard. Speed is just a bit above a sailing vessel but you can go direct and not have to tack.

2. Go fast, sleek, hauling okole , sea ray, or similar . If we want a power boat , we might want one that is FAST, FAST, FAST. Yep, looks like it is going 50 kts sitting still.

3. Large motor vessel, ( only two of us ) high 30's or 40's. Lots of comfort, twin engines, bow thruster, and all the amenities of the Ritz Carlton. Good cruise speed of maybe 15 kts , and one of those cocktail flags that says, come over, the party light is lit. We have the NFL game on, and the ice maker is automatically tossing cubes into the rum glasses.

Regardless, power or sail, depending on the sea conditions and your course, it can be rolly especially with a quartering sea way. So, the wife may still be out of the comfort zone .

That is why we suggest early departures when the seas are calm.

Also, with all of the luxury whiz bang add ons , that absolutely take away any work or even thinking , except for pushing a button or two, and all of the electric everything, stoves, a/c, navigation, radio, auto pilot electronics, generators, TV;s, trash compactors, jacuzzi, bath tub, head systems, etc. , etc, those dandies can fail and need repair and replacement.

So, more cash out, along with the fuel costs. And, slip fees, bottom jobs, transmission problems, and servicing two engines. Might not be a consideration and just the price of boating and enjoying good times on the water .

Plus, good stuff, with motor vessels, more time spent at your destination, and not out at sea tacking to your play time harbor for several hours.

Hmmmmm, we really like the looks of the sea rays, and sun dancers. Yep, if we were going to get a power boat, it would be a go fast. YAHOOOO !

but , then again, a really nice sea kindly, 40 foot motor vessel, with all the goodies and comfortable wide space would work as well.

Decisions , Decisions...

I can see that I have been a great help, you're most welcome, but you asked, and these are the ideas that we have mulled over for a few years.

How did we handle it..... well, we stopped sailing locally, and sold off the boat, and stopped renting from local sailing clubs. Instead, we love the two of us going on bare boat charter trips for two week sailing vacations world wide.

We replaced local sailing with hiking, and going to the beach, and hanging at our local beach bars and finding the best happy hours and friendly people. Someone has to volunteer and recon along our coastal beach towns. That be us'ns .

We also take land bound driving trips to the mountains and desserts , and also vacations back to Kauai Island, and other international eco adventures like Cost Rica.

Oh, and motor vessel bare boating, up the River Shannon in Ireland, that might be an idea to get the wife accustom to power boating . A couple of weeks on the River, and toss in a few days reconing Dublin.

No boat payments, no slip fees, no boat maintenance , insurance, up keep, we use OPB's, and for us, it keeps the fun light illuminated .

As to all that working and being right for some one else, it just comes down to what ever it is that you want for you and your partner. But, we feel that has to be a mutual agreement and makes both of us happy.

Erica and I are a team ....been so for 35 years .

Also, just thought, the Mooring and Sunsail have power cats for bare boating the BVI.... Another possibility to get some power boat fun time in paradise experience for a couple of weeks and see if a motor vessel will work for her and you.

Have fun, just some suggestions before you sell out and lay down all those dabloons for a power boat that maybe does not work out for the two of you.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 13:25   #72

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

The question is too open ended. Better for what? Various boats power or sail have their particular variations which can be considerable across and within the sail or power classifications. questions like the OP's are typical of greenhorns who know little or nothing about boating. the many posts may help enlighten them or confuse. My advise to people who asks these types of questions is read a lot about boats-spend a lot of time on the docks and boat yards-get out on boats as often as possible. start small and work your way up. find an old salt who is willing to mentor you, many old salts have a soft spot and affinity for newbies. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 13:35   #73

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Well said eyschulman
Far to many unsubstantiated generalisations and assumptions being made in this thread
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 16:27   #74

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I don't see many powerboats at anchor, they all seem to pay to dock at the marina. What gives? Do they flail around too much at anchor, or is it different personality thing, they want the party atmosphere at the dock? I rarely see a powerboat with a substantial anchor, so I assume they just don't anchor for very long.
I presume that must be because of the area in which you cruise. I am based in the Northwest. Trawlers and other powerboat designs capable of a range of weather conditions are common here. They certainly have serious anchor tackle and are often seen on the hook. In many of our cruising areas such as Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, marinas are at a minimum and most boats - sail and power - anchor out. In the more heavily used areas such as the San Juans and Channel Island, the transient slips at marinas fill up quickly, so most boats overnight on mooring buoys at marine parks or anchor out. In the summer the inside waters in this area don't see too much wind, so sailboats are commonly seen under power.

We had a 36" Catalina sailboat for years, then switched over to a 37" Uniflite Coastal Cruiser. The Uniflite has substantially more room than the previous sailboat of similar length. It is also much more bright and open when in the salon. The 37" is definitely easier for two people to handle and features such as the stall shower are much appreciated. Carrying the dinghy on Weaver levers is also much simpler. The twin diesels do consume more fuel than the single engine on our previous sailboat, but they are fairly efficient and don't break the bank at cruising speed. And yes, we frequently anchor out.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:59   #75

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Also, I don't see many powerboats at anchor, they all seem to pay to dock at the marina. What gives? Do they flail around too much at anchor, or is it different personality thing, they want the party atmosphere at the dock? I rarely see a powerboat with a substantial anchor, so I assume they just don't anchor for very long.

It's about 50/50 at popular anchorages around here.

Some builders of new powerboats are indeed often stingy with ground tackle on spec boats, but that's not universal either... and better builders (perhaps almost all builders) will usually fit whatever you ask for.

-Chris

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat