Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 17:57   #1

Boat: Tartan 34-2
Sailboat trucking

I have a Tartan 34-2 currently on the hard in New Bern, NC. I have a friend about 1 hour north of Raliegh that I could store the boat. I am paying $750 per 3 months storage. I doubt I will get back to sailingn much anymore. I haven't had any luck selling it.
So... anyone have an idea of what it would entail and cost to take a boat inland and set it down without a travel lift? Aren't the boat trucks able to lift and set without lifts?

Dan
s/v Wandering Star
1987 Tartan 34-2
mariner3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 23:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Someone with an appropriate sized crane could lift it. I have seen that done.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:09   #3

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Some companies use Brownell Hydraulic trailers for transport. These rigs have large hydraulic lifting arms on the trailer that lift the boat up and on to the trailer for transport. No need for a crane. I currently am moving my boat to and from a farm in Wisconsin using such a rig from Great Lakes Marine Service (Grafton, WI).

Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35   #4

That's what I am considering. About how much are you getting charged and what size is your boat?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That boat trailer is going to cost you one heck of a lot more than the cost to pay a boat hauler to take your boat to its destination and then to have your boat lifted off the trailer with a crane. Especially with it being a 34 foot boat. If you do buy the trailer you will either have to rent or purchase the full sized truck (tractor) to pull it with which means getting a Class A license as well. I doubt that trailer can lift the weight of a 34 foot boat as well. I think that amount of weight is going to require more than four tires and more than two axles.

I just looked up the displacement of a Tartan 34-2. It is 10,000 pounds. You will need a truck that can tow 5 tons plus the weight of the trailer. Thats not your typical pickup truck.

What I am saying is paying a boat hauler and then hiring a crane is probably the less expensive and more practical idea.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:32   #6

Didn't plan to buy one... I meant what kind of price to move it on a haulers truck...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02   #7

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
The boat transport company using a Brownell lift charged the typical $4.25/mile regardless of whether he was using the lift trailer or not. Most companies don't use the Brownell trailers although I recall there being at least one company on the east coast. You'll have to Google it up. Moving a boat isn't cheap and with the cost of diesel rising, it's not going to get any cheaper. But isn't that why we got into boats in the first place, so we could spend every nickle we have on them. At least we can live on them when they foreclose on the house. Ha!

Just as an FYI, I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually purchase such a trailer unless you plan on going into the boat moving business!

Good Luck!
Steve
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 16:32   #8

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I store my 35' Bristol sloop on the hard in my back yard, in SW Florida. My trucker charges me $200 to pick it up and move it 1/2 mile to the marina.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote