Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2011, 13:29   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailboat Sank In St. Augustine Inlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Even a glass encased fin keel boat stands a much better chance to grounding and even bouncing. I saw a bolted on keel sheered off after a grounding in Santa Cruz, Ca.
My friend's keel fell off when he hauled it out; was pretty crazy to watch.

Old 17-12-2011, 13:31   #47

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I'm originally from the area and have surfed through that inlet many times. It is tricky both inside and outside. Once you get through the entrance, the channel and the ICW meet. Many boats take the wrong side of the markers when heading south and end up on a shoal.

Old 17-12-2011, 13:32   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
If Beneteau built a boat that could survive in the surf on a sandbar in 30 knots nobody would buy it because it would not be fast, sexy or cheap!

The problem was trying to enter St Augustine in anything resembling bad weather. It is one of the most dangerous entries in Florida with shifting shoals and poor markers that have to be moved frequently.

Anyone with any sense of seamanship would have contined south to Jacksonville to get out of the weather.
Jacksonville is north of St.Augstine and Fernindina is noth of Jaks.Beach
Old 17-12-2011, 13:35   #49

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Hunter's Child sailed around the world then ran aground in the St. Augustine inlet - the keel didn't break off.
Old 17-12-2011, 13:42   #50

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
What's a "turth"?
Bauety, if we can trust the poet Kaets.

Connemara
Old 17-12-2011, 13:49   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think it's pretty evident that some of the newer designs will not hold up to this kind of abuse. I'm not knocking these boats, they are what they are, and work well for general sailing and can work well for other purposes depending on the owner. My impression is they are built to a price point. When that happens safety factors get reduced to save money and become far lower. Acceleration goes up with less weight. It's a good selling factor in today's world.
A couple years ago Ericson had problems with brand new boats loosing their keels! (remember that?) Remember the americas cup boat that broke in half in light air? There have been a couple losses in the offshore races recently too. A good engineer pays a lot of attention to his gut, and just a little attention to the theoretical numbers....
When I was workng for a charter company, a Catalina 42 hit a rock motoring at 5.5-6 knots. Cracked the hull forward of the keel and buckled up the hull aft of the keel loosening the engine bed. The boat leaked but didnt sink. In my Passport 47, I hit a coral head very hard. No damage other than a good scrape in the keel. Also hit a hard submerged object in the ICW near Fort Pierce. Stopped the boat completely. No apparant damage. There's a lot to be said for extra glass.....and encased ballast rather than bolt on keels....
This settles the "whats the best Bluewater boat?" issue..who wants a boat design that has a main structure that can be ripped off on a sandbar..give me the lead encapsulated full keel any day when sailing on the ocean...or running up on sandbars....DVC
Old 17-12-2011, 13:52   #52
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

On my way down coast last time it was blowing 30 kts and gusting to 50 from the NW. Ill be darned if I was going in ANY inlets. My only point is its often much safer albeit more uncomfortable sometimes to just sail on.
Old 17-12-2011, 15:46   #53

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Running aground and ripping off your keel is a problem faced by coastal cruisers more than "Bluewater boats". Coastal cruisers need to be robust.
Steve.
Old 17-12-2011, 16:49   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Running aground and ripping off your keel is a problem faced by coastal cruisers more than "Bluewater boats". Coastal cruisers need to be robust.
Steve.
Very true, out in the blue water there's only the odd container and what are the odds?
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 17:18   #55
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The wind was blowing out of the NW the day I went through. I didn't think the inlet was all that bad. It's obvoius from the video that the boat is well up on the bar, but the channel is 14 feet deep at low tide. If you miss that starboard turn at the bar you'll run aground almost instantly. As inlets go, it's certainly not a class A but it's better than many along the east coast. It's certainly much easier than Ocracoke inlet which has more twists and turns and is much shallower. It's also easier than Ponce Inlet which is the next one south. If one is going to continue south in a significant North wind you're probably better off going all the way to Port Canaveral. You have to go a ways off shore to clear the shoals at the cape, but once you round the cape you're in the lee of the shoals on north wind and you've got a class A inlet.

I haven't been through that inlet, but it might be hard to see the markers in foul weather ...
Old 17-12-2011, 17:20   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
My friend's keel fell off when he hauled it out; was pretty crazy to watch.
Wow that's freaky!
Old 17-12-2011, 17:22   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
On my way down coast last time it was blowing 30 kts and gusting to 50 from the NW. Ill be darned if I was going in ANY inlets. My only point is its often much safer albeit more uncomfortable sometimes to just sail on.

You're absolutely right. One reason to check the weather is to decide whether or not to take the Bonine that day.

Rough water/weather I would rather be away from the shore, which would rule out trying to navigate an unfamiliar inlet. But we've had this discussion before.
Old 17-12-2011, 18:24   #58

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag

The s/v was heading south from NC. St. Augustine inlet was partially dredged in November 2011. When the seas build the temporary bouy south of the channel is hard to see. With the NE wind the sailboat was being blown ashore. Very hard to crawl off a lee shore. With the long shore current that sand constantly moves around the inlet. Some homes north of the inlet are condemed because of sand being removed from the beach. South of the inlet has the same problem, sand being removed from the beach. Boulders have been deposited north and south of the pier. At least there was not a loss of life. Both sailors were rescued to sail another day.
Old 26-01-2012, 14:05   #59

Finally talked with someone who SAW it happen. He's the captain of the Schooner Freedom. He was out for the afternoon charter sail with a boat full of tourists. It was blowing pretty hard and there was lots of chop. the inlet was a surf zone. Breakers everywhere. The boat came in and was too far to the south of the channel between the bars.

He saw it go aground. It was pounded by waves. He was telling his guests how dangerous sailing can be when the keel broke and the boat sank to the bottom in one to two minutes! They all watched it happen but could not assist due to the conditions, etc.

What would you grab if you only had a minute from leak to complete submersion!!! Shucks, I'd be so flustered I wouldn't be too sure that I'd get everything I'd want! I don't carry a lifeboat...just the dinghy. I do have a ditch bag with signaling devices and a handheld and a dinghy anchor with lots of line. It's not much, but God I hope I never need it! I'd like to think that good planning and decisions amount to the lions share of it all.
Old 26-01-2012, 15:43   #60

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Not sure how I missed this thread. Anyway, this happened on the morning of December 10th. We were on the water in St. Augustine that day and it was a crappy day for sure . . . blowing like stink out of the NE, strong tidal current (it was near full moon), and with pretty poor visibility . . . not a nice day to try that inlet without intimate local knowledge. I don't know any more details. We had enough excitement doing the christmas parade that evening in those conditions. Shortly after the parade, one of our neigbors in the mooring field ended up in the water when his dingy swamped next to our boat . . . that incident made the news too. Luckily he wasn't hurt either. Two bad-weather water rescues in one day and no injuries. Everybody was lucky that day.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: