Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 14:39   #46

Boat: Beneteau 38 first
Re: Sailboat Listings: time for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I have my catamaran listed on sailboatlistings: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/56689
I need to update the listing because I am back in Guatemala but my boat is still for sale.
My complaint is that of the many people that I replied to who have inquired about this listing, only a few of them have responded to my reply. Most of the inquiries are not even written in full sentences and are a waste of time but I reply to them all. There are a lot of dreamers looking at those ads and for most of the replies it is obvious that they are not going to buy a boat. Also a lot of them trying to see if you are interested in "giving" the boat away or will listen to lowball offers, or to see how low you will go. Most of these people don't even have any money at all.
My advice: If you expect a reply, compose your inquiry with full sentences and say something that could qualify you as someone that could can hold a conversation, might actually be in the market to buy a boat, and someone who might be "comfortable" to do business with. Sailboatlistings is a fine service for what it is. Craigslist is a pita, always getting flagged and having to repost. Why don't you start a better site Jimbo. You had your rant. If you can't find any boats that are actually for sale on that site and it bothers you so much then don't look at it. I get a lot of low quality responses through it, I get better (but fewer responses) through my Yachtworld listing (yes I have both). A few more words of advice for your inquiries: Don't say that you are from S. Florida and don't say "methinks"

I looked at both of your ads.

The SBL ad doesn't gleam buy me at all.
The YW ad looks polished and says nice boat for a good price.

I have never placed an ad on SBL But I did just list a boat on powerboatlisings so I'm guessing it's the same company. I ended up selling the boat thru CL.

Seems like a rewrite of your ad on SBL is in order as well as better photo's

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:46   #47

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I have yet to meet a real (or sane) person whose first boat was larger than 30'. [emoji3]
Agreed!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:47   #48

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There are plenty of descent online boat for sale sites. I see no reason to use one that is horribly out of date. Also, unless I was looking for a specific rare model boat, I wouldn't waste my time on ads that are more than a year old.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 18:31   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i am a serious buyer, i have the money in my account, but i would NEVER send off an email like that to a seller.

I was trying to insert some humor, but actually why not? That is what I would want to know before spending a lot of time and energy showing you the boat. Do you have the money? What about if there is competition? Then would you show me the money? As a private seller I can make my own rules. I might raise my asking price or refuse to come down on it. If you want to be sweet talked into buying a boat or need someone to hold your hand then talk to a broker. (I don't mean you personally, but anybody).
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat