Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 14:54   #16
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Fortunately they have been rescued. Ship rescues 3 sailors stranded off Hawaii coast. Since none of us were onboard, none of us can say what condition the boat and crew were in and what the circumstances were that put them in this position. We can only thank those that came to the rescue and hope someone will do the same for any of us if we might need it. Chuck
__________________

__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 15:06   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston Area
Boat: Beneteau 423
Posts: 223
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
“Despite surviving a hurricane, Walkabout may still be afloat and drifting according to one report today. By the time her crew was rescued this morning, they had reportedly bailed her out and she was no longer in danger of sinking. As you can see, when this image was shot on Sunday, the sloop's rig was still intact. “ ...
This looks like another good demonstration of staying on your boat as long as possible. "Walkabout" stayed afloat until they needed to be rescued. They might not have faired so well if they had managed to get the USCG life raft and decided to abandon ship.

Shouldn't they have scuttled the boat?
__________________

__________________
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 15:17   #18
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Hard to say without a life raft or dingy and a open door if they got into another storm and then called for help what would the out look be. Hard to say buy I bet the believe they did the right thing. They lived thru a hurricane. Glad there safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 15:36   #19
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 461
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Hard to say without a life raft or dingy and a open door if they got into another storm and then called for help what would the out look be. Hard to say buy I bet the believe they did the right thing. They lived thru a hurricane. Glad there safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
For them to go on, we would be assuming they had the fuel to continue ... since they were dismasted ... and that their diesel was operable after a pretty good bashing...
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles - The Umbrella Man.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 15:49   #20
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

I'm glad there was a boat nearby I was worried they were taking on water and their batteries were going to die and then what would they do with no life card and no dingy. Scary for sure...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:06   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30
Posts: 193
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

And unfortunately only three days downwind to KAuai. So close yet so far...
__________________
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 20:08   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Assumed they were leaving Hawaii not sailing to Hawaii. Bad decision on the part of the skipper. Have crossed the Pacific hurricane lane twice during hurricane season. Kept track of depressions in the Gulf of Panama and any weather moving west. If there was any significant weather, plan was to heave to/bore holes in the ocean well north of 20N till it passed. Did have to make a go/no go decision on the sail to the Marquesas that made it very interesting when the low in the Gulf of Panama turned into a Cat 3 hurricane and started beating feet west after we decided to go.

FWIW, the nasty weather generated in the Gulf of Panama either heads West or North. For the ones that head West, they typically stay well within 10N-20N until getting close to the Hawaiian Islands. They are well forecast/tracked so it's easy to steer clear if one should looks like it will threaten.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 20:45   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30
Posts: 193
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Assumed they were leaving Hawaii not sailing to Hawaii. Bad decision on the part of the skipper.
Initially the boat was reported as leaving Oahu for the west coast- an Incredibility poor decision if so, given the forecasted track and all the model predictions. However, a poster earlier today mentioned the boat actually departed SF Bay Area and was inbound to Oahu- which makes more sense from the standpoint of being at sea for two weeks or so and getting caught in the storm which developed out of nothing and passed North of hawaii in a matter of 7 or 8 days.

At least the boat will drift down to Kauai or perhaps Maui and maybe they will be able to go out and get it in a week or so. This happened in 2012 when one of the singlehanded transpac skippers enroute Hanalei bay needed emergency medical evacuation in the same general area and was picked up by an east bound container ship. Two weeks latter a couple of SHTP finishers went out 50 miles or so off Maui and brought the boat into Oahu for the skipper- who caught up with it after treatment in SF.
__________________
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 21:34   #24
Jud
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 49
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

FWIW, the nasty weather generated in the Gulf of Panama either heads West or North. For the ones that head West, they typically stay well within 10N-20N until getting close to the Hawaiian Islands. They are well forecast/tracked so it's easy to steer clear if one should looks like it will threaten.
Which raises what is the only interesting and relvant question (to me) about this incident: how did they find themselves in the path, or at least nearby, a well-charted hurricane, while en route to Hawaii? I can only surmise: (1) they didn't pay attention to any wx info, assuming benign conditions (and hurricanes are, of course, rare in Hawaii); or (2) they didn't have access to wx info/gribs (either b/c their equipment was working; or they didn't know how to use it; or they didn't have any to begin with).

I'm not second-guessing them, but I do find it quite incredible that they ended up in the path of a well-charted hurricane in a fairly-well traveled area (commercial traffic, lots of weather info available). I remember heading north from Hawaii a few years back, helping with a Vic-Maui race boat delivery, we checked gribs daily and made course decisions based on that, and especially checked wx when closing with the N. American coast.

How did s/v Walkabout find itself near a well-charted hurricane, when advance knowledge of it surely could have allowed them to radically alter course (i.e., north), well away from its path? Inexplicable to me, unless they simply never checked forecasts (for whatever reason, as I surmised above). I really would like to know what they were doing/thinking as they were approaching Hawaii, 450 nm out, before the situation deteriorated.
__________________
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 00:10   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,950
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

I'm sure given a little time more information will be forthcoming until then its all speculation. I can say without a doubt that those folks lived through a hell of an experience which very few others could even dream about.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 00:24   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sanibel, FL
Boat: currently a power boat :(
Posts: 251
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm sure given a little time more information will be forthcoming until then its all speculation. I can say without a doubt that those folks lived through a hell of an experience which very few others could even dream about.
+1 been in some sh***y situations crab/halibut fishing off Kodiak island, but thats a different level than i ever care to experience
__________________
Regards,
Skye
Blue Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06   #27
Head in a locker
 
Cavalier's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Posts: 879
Images: 1
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

HONOLULU — A container ship crew on Monday rescued three men who were stranded in a sailboat off the Hawaiian islands for about 24 hours as Hurricane Julio battered their vessel with giant waves and high winds that ripped off one of its hatches.Th...



Associated Press - Tuesday, August 12, 2014



Read the full article at:

http://www.bing.com/r/2/AA4Td0g?a=1&m=EN-US
__________________
"By day the hot sun fermented us; and we were dizzied by the beating wind. At night we were stained by dew, and shamed into pettiness by the innumerable silences of stars."
Cavalier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50   #28
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Here is a video link. The boat looks wrecked. I'm glad they got off.
DVIDS - Video - Sailboat caught in Hurricane Julio
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52   #29
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 89
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Which raises what is the only interesting and relvant question (to me) about this incident: how did they find themselves in the path, or at least nearby, a well-charted hurricane, while en route to Hawaii? I can only surmise: (1) they didn't pay attention to any wx info, assuming benign conditions (and hurricanes are, of course, rare in Hawaii); or (2) they didn't have access to wx info/gribs (either b/c their equipment was working; or they didn't know how to use it; or they didn't have any to begin with).

I'm not second-guessing them, but I do find it quite incredible that they ended up in the path of a well-charted hurricane in a fairly-well traveled area (commercial traffic, lots of weather info available). I remember heading north from Hawaii a few years back, helping with a Vic-Maui race boat delivery, we checked gribs daily and made course decisions based on that, and especially checked wx when closing with the N. American coast.

How did s/v Walkabout find itself near a well-charted hurricane, when advance knowledge of it surely could have allowed them to radically alter course (i.e., north), well away from its path? Inexplicable to me, unless they simply never checked forecasts (for whatever reason, as I surmised above). I really would like to know what they were doing/thinking as they were approaching Hawaii, 450 nm out, before the situation deteriorated.

Whatever the case maybe I am sure they will tell you Murphy was onboard....

BZT
__________________
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:46   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Sailboat in Dire Situation Off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Here is a video link. The boat looks wrecked. I'm glad they got off.
DVIDS - Video - Sailboat caught in Hurricane Julio
Wrecked and listing to port.

What is interesting/educational about the video is just how hard it is to see a boat in those sea conditions. Conditions which had improved from the worst of the storm.

Later,
Dan
__________________

__________________
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hawaii, sail, sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Search for 24-foot sailboat off Hilo Hawaii (Merged) Mahana General Sailing Forum 142 05-04-2014 12:47
Crew Needed - Acapulco to Hawaii, then Hawaii to the PNW nelson.peter Pacific & South China Sea 1 11-02-2011 11:40
Crew Available: One Male from Puntarenas, Costa Rica to Hawaii or Other Port Good for Hawaii . . . Canaan Crew Archives 0 17-01-2011 15:07
Best Time for Mexico to Hawaii and Hawaii to Alaska thuss Pacific & South China Sea 25 26-05-2010 06:58
The Pirate Situation near Singapore and How I Prepared for it tomyang Health, Safety & Related Gear 0 15-04-2003 17:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.