Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2019, 19:58   #1

Boat: '78 Catalina 22
Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

I sail a 1978 Catalina 22 which I fully overhauled, rebuilt and refitted new hardware in 2015.

I tried to book a guest slip at Port Royal Marina in King Harbor (Redondo Beach Ca.) for the Memorial Day Weekend. I emailed my insurance details, registration and a photo of my Catalina 22 to the Port Royal Marina Office Manager.

The Manager replied quote:
"Good Morning,

I am sorry but we cannot rent you due to the year of your vessel. We only rent guest slips to vessels that are 1990 or newer."

Anyone else had this happen to them? They are providing a service but discriminating against age. Isn't that illegal? Or does it only apply to a living thing?

I can only assume they want to keep their marina gentrified with newer boats or keep financially strapped liveaboards from setting down roots.

If it's an issue with Port Royal Marina's insurance - that only covers boats newer than 1990, then say that. Don't discriminate against older boats.

I'm proud of my small boat. Small boats make good sailors and I plan to keep on sailing her until I can afford a bigger one, or the wife lets my sell the house so we can go Cruising!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV MIA NOI.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	192570  
SV Mia Noi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 20:29   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

Yah that sucks.

But no, age of the boat would not be a protected category under the law, by default businesses can choose who they want to serve.

Happens at caravan parks all the time
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 21:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mia Noi View Post
...I can only assume they want to keep their marina gentrified with newer boats or keep financially strapped liveaboards from setting down roots...
I think you're right. I have to say that you've got a beautiful boat with obvious pride of ownership. I bet the marina would be happy to host you but is just being consistent on their end so as to avoid confrontations with locals asking about the exception made for you. I am curious, though, what the story would be if you had a 1980 50' yacht in similar smart condition...
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 21:56   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

My response would be;"and the horse you rode in on"
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 21:59   #5

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Very smart looking boat. You have a good right to be proud of her.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 22:16   #6

Boat: Columbia 50

Sounds pretty strange to me. While I’ve only taken moorings, not slips, here on the east coast, they’ve only asked for boat name and length. Is insurance information usually requested at slips? Is it a west coast thing, or everywhere?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 22:25   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Your boat is gorgeous and that attitude is offensive, but it's also their prerogative, which means I'd have had zero interest hobnobbing with those kind of people.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 22:25   #8

Somebody oughta get Good Old Boat on this one!

I have a 1986 boat, so I'm "concerned" that stupid ideas have a way of growing quickly. Really stupid ideas like this one tend to grow exponentially.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 00:07   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Really stupid ideas like this one tend to grow exponentially.
But not so fast in areas where there are marinas with empty berths!

I've never encountered such an attitude, but then we seldom go into marinas, and then tend to avoid upmarket ones when we do.

I'd side with Bill Seal upthread, but don't want to aggravate an innocent horse!

Jim
Old 23-05-2019, 00:22   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Fromwhat appears to be their eebsite in the bertg application part
Quote:
5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
Old 23-05-2019, 03:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mia Noi View Post
I sail a 1978 Catalina 22 which I fully overhauled, rebuilt and refitted new hardware in 2015.

I tried to book a guest slip at Port Royal Marina in King Harbor (Redondo Beach Ca.) for the Memorial Day Weekend. I emailed my insurance details, registration and a photo of my Catalina 22 to the Port Royal Marina Office Manager.

The Manager replied quote:
"Good Morning,

I am sorry but we cannot rent you due to the year of your vessel. We only rent guest slips to vessels that are 1990 or newer."

Anyone else had this happen to them? They are providing a service but discriminating against age. Isn't that illegal? Or does it only apply to a living thing?

I can only assume they want to keep their marina gentrified with newer boats or keep financially strapped liveaboards from setting down roots.

If it's an issue with Port Royal Marina's insurance - that only covers boats newer than 1990, then say that. Don't discriminate against older boats.

I'm proud of my small boat. Small boats make good sailors and I plan to keep on sailing her until I can afford a bigger one, or the wife lets my sell the house so we can go Cruising!
Was that for a transient berth for a few days, or an annual rental (not familiar with the term "guest berth")? I've never been asked for the year of my boat for a transient berth and am lucky if they can even spell one of the two words in Fountaine Pajot, let alone know enough about boats to figure out the age from the model! Did you lead with the year in your request?
If this was an annual berth thing and you still really want to be at the marina, the strategy of going transient for a few days and then asking for a long term berth in person will probably be worth a try. They're trying to avoid junkers, and your boat is clearly no junker, so once they see it and are talking to you in person, reality changes a bit.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:22   #12

Their Application Procedure for Guest Slips are clearly stated on their website. They do seem to be discerning, albeit the liability limits seems low.

Application Procedures

1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or a copy of the bill of sale in the name of the person applying for the slip.

2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.

3. A current color photograph of vessel

4. A credit report will be required and run on the applicant

5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:27   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

same thing with marinas now requiring live aboard size to be over 35 feet. oh and marinas not having slips for boats smaller than 40 feet.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:33   #14

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

My marina has a rule, no boats under 50K in value. That said, I see this rule "bent" all the time. Might be worth talking to the manager in charge and showing that person what a properly cared for boat looks like. Yours undoubtedly looks better than a lot of the newer boats.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 09:40   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
My marina has a rule, no boats under 50K in value. That said, I see this rule "bent" all the time. Might be worth talking to the manager in charge and showing that person what a properly cared for boat looks like. Yours undoubtedly looks better than a lot of the newer boats.

Who places the value on the boat?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, west coast