Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2011, 09:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Sail or Motor for Liveaboard?

We lived aboard our Cal Cruising 46 for 18 of the last 22 years, actively cruised 9 years. In March 2012 we will have had our boat 30 years. Our boat has been the perfect boat for us.

I always reccommend to folks who ask me what boat to choose to make a list of "What do you want the boat to do for you?", then establish a realistic budget. It sound as if you have done that.

If your desires are greater than your funds, what skills do you have for repairing and maintaining a boat? If you have the desire, skills and want to learn, there are still many hurricane Ivan damaged boats in our area,Pensacola. I know of several comfortable, live aboard sailboats that can be had for back rent in the boatyard, but they all will require some fixin'.

If you wish, drop me an e mail and I will give you my phone # and more info.
Tom bshmarine@yahoo.com

Old 24-07-2011, 09:06   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

joediver--your guesstimates RE bit high. reality speaks ofter than imagination. my formosa41 was 10k. i spend less than 400 per month on my boat. i am sailing already and have put into her less than 20k total. so...... dont be telling the high prices when they are not necessarily so. in a military marina, rent is less than in a marina for citizens. there is a way to do stuff in them that we citizens do not have privy to. It's why i sent the op to a military marina. is something to look into, if you are active duty service.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 09:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Sail or Motor for Liveaboard ?

We compaired the two a couple years ago just for the fun of it and I'm sad to say the power boat won out...
Compairing a 42 foot trawler to our FIRST42.. the Trawler had three times the room our sailboat has in the same length. a very large fore and aft cabin, large galley, and a few steps up and a large inclosed rear deck..about face and a few more steps up and you are in the fly bridge, and the flybridge of the boat we were looking at was 12 foot wide and 16 feet long......
In weighing out the expense.. the cost of new sail every ten years, over 20k was far more of an expensive venture.. and as we've traveled, from Mexico to Alaska and back a few times, the amount of time actually sailing from port to port was little.. we would sail for three days and spend six weeks in a marina doing sight seeing.. Over 90% of our time was setting in one place.. and many times the wind had dropped and we had to motor anyway..
we love our boat, the style, the performance, and living aboard (for over 9 years now).. but there is a lot to say about Power boats.. and the newest issues.. we've had some pretty hot weather here at times and at night our sail boat is like an oven inside.. Because of the heighth restriction, we have an end tye while the power boaters are under a shead in the shade.. depth is another issue.. we need 9 feet to float our boat, the trawler we looked at only needed 3 feet...
as far as the ecology effect on our planet.. start from the building of the boat, and what it cost to produce the sails we use,all the rigging, the batteries we keep on board for electrical storage, and the lead in our keels, alll those things a power boat dosent have to have..
Dolar for dolar, over the last 8 to 10 years of our boating and liveaboard, we would have been far ahead in a power boat..
Had a sailboat guy here in the marina giving the power boaters crap a while back for the known issues and stating the wind was free.. but what he didnt tell them was he motored the last 100 miles to get up here in the delta, in his sailboat..........
And lastly, in todays market, you can buy a pretty nice 35 to 45 foot trawler for 60K. and if you are not afraid of wood, an early Grand Banks can be had for a lot less.....
Old 24-07-2011, 09:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

With 60,000 I could, with my frugal nature have both if thats what I wanted and you could get a good deal in this market.Zees got a nice boat and she sure is proud of it, Ive got a nice boat also and I didnt pay very much for it ...If your really smart just stick w/ a SAILBOAT...just kidding!Get what you want and have fun and If your in the service...thanks for your service! DVC
Old 24-07-2011, 09:41   #20

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my formosa41 was 10k.
You bought a 41' Formosa for $10k?

Holy Cow, that's the deal of the century. I love Formosa's and have looked at a bunch of them for sale....they're expensive...all the one's I've seen have been $50k +.

When I buy my retirement boat, can I hire you as my broker?
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 09:45   #21

If you're not doing much travelling, how about a barge/houseboat and 1 or 2 fun boats for playing in, 1 power and 1 sail. All the fun of living on the water but in comfort, and the toys for when the weather is right.
Old 24-07-2011, 09:47   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sailboats suit those that are thrilled with sailing! I can't imagine making such a choice without the thrill.
Old 24-07-2011, 10:49   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

That powerboat looks to have a lot more room for living than the sailboat of about the same length.

In the Carquinez Strait (Gateway to the Delta), typically half the sailboats going inland are motorsailing, and only about 10 percent of sailboats going the other way are sailing. It is a pleasure to watch the occasional sailboat with jib and main in use, tacking to windward.

Typically, motorboats considered big enough to live aboard have diesel engines. While my boat can consume about 4.5 gallons an hour at maximum RPMs at 8 knots, cruising at 6.5 knots the fuel consumption is less than half.

Old 24-07-2011, 11:05   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artif View Post
If you're not doing much travelling, how about a barge/houseboat and 1 or 2 fun boats for playing in, 1 power and 1 sail. All the fun of living on the water but in comfort, and the toys for when the weather is right.
My berth neighbor lives on a houseboat (there are three in the household) and has an adjacent sailboat of the same length (about 40 feet).

The sailboaters at my marina have to time their comings and goings with the tides. While I with only four feet of draft, the sailboats in my immediate vicinity have drafts of six feet or more.
Old 24-07-2011, 11:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boy, the "sail only" crowd is viscious today!
It really depends on if you just want to live on the water, go out occassionally and have a good time, or if you want to cross oceans, or go to the islands and live a cruising lifestyle.
For living aboard at the dock, it's hard to beat a trawler, big windows, lots of light, more room etc. You can sit at the dinette and watch the water while drinking your coffee inthe am. Economical on fuel too.
If you like living in a cave, enjoy going through yoga contortions to move around on deck etc, then a sailboat is for you! However, a sailboat will take you wherever you want to go safely and with a backup system to the motor... and it's addicting having just the wind push you along...
Old 24-07-2011, 11:12   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The reply above about educated, interesting people is just dead wrong in my opinion (and that is all it is). I have read blogs from all kinds of boaters and have seen interesting, curious and talented people in everything from probably row boats to very high end expensive trawlers. And power boats don't hold the lock on drunks, bigots or closed minded ignorant people.
I've met many folks of both stripes and completely agree with you DeepFrz. Here on the forum we have members who have done both. The ones who went from sail to motor didn't do so because they prefer Bud Light in the morning, or at least if they did they're keeping that part to themselves.

I looked at both when making my decision. I wanted to sail but was also looking for a home so I wanted to be sure I'd given everything a fair shake. In the end I bought a pilothouse with broad beam. A design that Stan Huntingford has had some success with in a number of models. An earlier poster with a First 42 mentioned the difference in size between a trawler of similar length and a First 42 and mine splits the difference. While she sails very well she certainly isn't as sprightly as a First 42 but she has quite a bit more room.

If you want to spend more money then a multihull gives more room and a very different experience. Both the motor boat and multi can often anchor where a monohull can't. Some like the sensation of sailing in a multi over a mono and vice-versa.

So you see it's up to you to try some things and see what feels right.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:26   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

owning a powerboat is not a crime. using one improperly is.
owning a sailboat does not make ye an expert. lol
i have owned both power and sail boats. there is no comparison with the comfort of a power boat for merely living aboard, same with the expense of trying to go somewhere..oops. they just dont sail well.\

formosas are becoming less pricey of late--i know of a few for 30k in decent condition--in leaky teaky yaccht club group on yahooo.

is a buyers market and i got waaay lucky. i knew the previous owner and watched him blow his engine ........

there is one on dry storage for 4900 dollars in sd-- but it does need a lot of work. has cabin house rot and rudder issues and prolly some stern tube problems. but is on hard and fixable.
these things are next best comfort in living aboard since trawlers......

cheap formosas need a lot of work. cheaper they are the more work they need-- BUt that work IS EASILY DONE, AS NO NEONATAL MONKEYS ARE NEEDED TO FIT INTO TIGHT PLACES-- Garden was a wonderful designer of cruising boats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:46   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having lived aboard on both sail (Transpac 49) and power (DeFever 54) for over 10 years, both have distinct advantages and disadvantages, many of which have been covered here.
For elbow room, ease of handling and less complex systems power certainly has it over sail. Also easier to keep my 'bud lights' cold...
For feeling one with the ocean, self sufficiency and cost of operation underway, sail is the way to go.
For purely maintaining the creature comforts one finds ashore while living aboard which was the OP's question, I lean towards power.
We cruised as far as mid Central America and back, including the Sea of Cortez under sail and as far north as Johnson Straits half way to Alaska down to San Diego under power so had the opportunity to enjoy passage making under both. Sailing was more exhilarating while under power was comfort personified.
IMHO it doesn't matter as long as you are enjoying life and the ocean which boat you choose. Expense-wise, you can spend as much or as little as you want. 'Zee' is doing it on a shoe string and enjoys every bit of it. Mind you she is competent and resourceful. Hummingways' advice is sound... a multihull has heaps of room, gives you access to many more sheltered, minimum depth anchorages but tough to find liveaboard moorage and not fun to beat to windward... better to motorsail.
My advice is to go and walk the docks and talk to both power and sail liveaboards during your search for the right vessel. It is a marvelous way of life... go or it! Cheers, Capt Phil
Old 24-07-2011, 11:54   #29

I have to throw in my monetary fraction in favour of a barge/floating house. I've always wanted to buy an old barge and build a brick house on it, just to get the stares from passers-by. With a two-car garage.

As for motor-/sail-boat, you are the variable. Most people will present the justifications which worked for their decision-making, but almost always the decision is actually money and the 'why' they want to be on the water. Plus a bit of opportunity. Don't pick a boat at all if your goal is solely to briefly visit far-away places: you can usually do it for less expense, more safely, and more often by airplane/auto.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 12:52   #30

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Sailboats generally require more skill and attention to operate properly. For those who want a hobby that's an advantage; but for those who primarily just want to scuba or fish or such like other activities, the additional attention needed to sail well might be a distraction. Sailboats also tend to travel at a slower pace whereas some powerboats are able to outrun bad weather -- but there are many exceptions on both sides, such as multihulls compared to trawlers.

Tags
liveaboard, motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: