Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 14:07   #1
DWT

Sail away plan

Sail away plan:

We are looking at within the next year or two doing the ICW north for the summer, then back down to the Keys where we live or maybe more south for the winter.

How far north do I have to go, and the time period to get the insurance premium discount by being out of the hurricane belt?

Not sure how much cool weather the wife can handle or myself having been living here in the south for 37 years. Would love to see Maine or beyond but what kind of temps will we have in the summer month up there and what is the time period?

If Maine does not work for us where would be a good place south of there to spend summer again out of the hurricane belt, cool but not cold?

We would be up grading the boat from a 30' mono. to a 42 - 44' cat for a bit more comfort on both of us. ( the wife is making me do it!)

Been waiting a long time to do this...really looking forward to it.

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 14:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How far north do I have to go, and the time period to get the insurance premium discount by being out of the hurricane belt?
North of the Virgina state line is generally considered not in the hurricane zone. Actually it would be a good place for the early summer and late fall as well. You really don't want to be in the far NE much before mid June or after September if you don't want any freezing temperatures. You can still get good days but you can get some not so good ones too. That still leaves a good range to stay in comfortable weather.

You'll want to check with your insurance company on how they judge when you have to be gone and when you can come back. Being gone now sure wouldn't be a bad idea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08   #3
DWT

Paul,

So right where you are looks to be a safe place. The Chesapeake Bay area, having never really looked at it before, seem like a place you could spend all summer cruising and never see it all. And I assume alot of people go there and do just that untill weather permits them to move back south.
Although it looks not totally out of reach of storms where your at, as were looking at Hanna coming your way. What kind of winds and tides are you looking at from a storm like this? Could someone such as myself cruising, find a place to get out of the weather?

As for where I am, Ike looks like like it has our name on it.

David
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:15   #4

Maine has two seasons. Winter and the 4th of July
Old 03-09-2008, 12:28   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Different insurers have different ideas of where you should be during hurricane season. One I was with said north of Beaufort, another Cape Charles. Usually you have to be north before June 1 and you can't be south before October 31. Again this might vary. Some insurers don't specify that you have to be out of the hurricane "zone" but then they increase the deductible for a named storm. The Chesapeake is usually ok but don't tell that to the folks that got hit by Isabel a few years ago, although by the time it got up there it was only a tropical storm. There is no really absolute safe place on the east coast. I got caught in Floyd way up in the Hudson but, thankfully, these don't happen too often.
Old 03-09-2008, 14:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We are not immune to storms and while we were not effected by Isabel folks a mile down the road were. For the most part the Gulf Stream takes a sharp east turn at the Virgina border and so the storms tend to deflect away. It's not fool proof protection but it passes. Many hurricanes smack into Cape Hatteras and look like they are pointed right at us and the potential for them is 10 to 1 while the potential for us is 400 to 1 of being hit by any specific storm. We get the remains at times so it rains for a full day or so. Isabel was a fluke and only did it's worst from hitting at high tide. We have salt water in the back yard but saw no damage to the house or boat. Landscaping took a hit.

Sailing here is good though Mid July through August is hot and humid with winds that can be poor at times. Spring and fall are quite nice with a large number of places to go with no crowds. Sailing gives out in December through until April. We don't have to haul out for the winter this far south. The far north end of the Chesapeake is crowded and expensive and there is a chance a drunken politician might escape Washington DC and land on your dock. There still are many nice places to see if you can avoid the prime time crowds when the sailing isn't as good and the anchoring uncomfortable.

There are a lot of places to ride out a storm with good protection in the smaller rivers and creeks.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote