Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 18:45   #16

Boat: Islander 32
Re: Sahara Desert Snow Storm

Where's chicken little when you need him (her). I'm going to meditate in front of my algore shrine now. goosfraba....goosfraba..
Old 21-12-2016, 19:23   #17
cruiser

The camel must be thinking... WTF?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	138344  
Old 21-12-2016, 19:36   #18

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

There has been global warming since the ice started to recede after the ice age....correct?
Old 22-12-2016, 08:48   #19

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

When working in the Algerian Sahara some years ago we had to scrape the windscreen of the pickups every morning during December. Deserts get bloody cold at night as there is nothing to keep the "heat in". Frequently we'd see -10ºC at 6am followed by +30ºC by mid afternoon.

So snow in the Sahara is not an unusual occurrence really.

And geologically speaking climate has been changing constantly for 4.5 billion years.
Old 22-12-2016, 08:48   #20

Boat: Catalina 375

I had the pleasure of living in the Sahara Desert for the better part of 5 years. We often got snow at altitude, especially around Tamanrasset in Algeria. In Dec /Jan the puddles from watering plants could be frozen at 600am, even at lower altitudes. Someone else commented that it is more rare to have precipitation at that time of year. Note I have also downhill skied at two different ski resorts in Morocco. In January the temps could go from 0 C to 50 C in the day. In August temps could go as high as 60 C. So I do not see this snow in Sahara, especially as this is likely northern Sahara, as a rare event.
Old 22-12-2016, 08:52   #21

Boat: 2002 Beneteau 44 Center Cockpit

I work in Mauritania (live in Las Palmas), about an hours flying North East of the capital Nouakchott...as for todays weather out here in the Sahara...Cold and rainy and I would not be surprised if we had some sleet later today...

I'm a believer in global warming...!!
Old 22-12-2016, 08:53   #22

Boat: Grampian 26

Europeans know some of the best skiing is in Morocco. When I was there is May there was still snow in the Atlas mountains.

Geography is not some people's strong suite.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:06   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This rare occurrence on December 19 must have left the global warming believers scratching their heads.

A white Christmas in the Sahara...

Stunning photos capture rare snow in the Sahara Desert
Not at all. Global warming does not actually forbid snow in the mountains at 34 degrees North. Not acccepting the evidence of it, however, may indicate ignorance of how a swing works.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:24   #24

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

For the global warming contingent, which largely takes the position that warming is a 'fact' instead of an hypothesis, human-caused, and the direct result of using fossil fuels (putting greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere), I have one question.

Given that 'fossil fuel' stored in the Earth is composed (mostly) of complex molecules of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen, where did the 'carbon' come from?

In answering, please keep in mind that all that carbon had to be in the form of carbon dioxide at one time to make the plants that are the basis for fossil fuels.

I am beginning to be of the opinion that the present Earth has a 'low' amount of C0-2, and that a vast increase would promote a wet planet with high vegetation growth rates. Maybe what we are seeing is a dying planet, starved of CO-2.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:31   #25

Boat: Morgan 382

People love to be told things. I guess it's easier than thinking for yourself. Keep believing the media propaganda! "if you repeat a big lie often enough, it becomes the truth". Joseph Goebbels. Nazi propagandist.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:53   #26

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

The only reason I am not otherwise providing a reply to the news is I have not and do not ever expect to sail in the Sahara during my present lifetime.
Old 22-12-2016, 10:27   #27
cruiser

I'm disappointed by hearing of the first Sahara snow storm in nearly forty years. I'm no longer a skier and was counting on a warmer future.
Old 22-12-2016, 10:57   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Although global warming refers to an increased average annual temperature over the entire planet, its best to call it CLIMATE CHANGE to help the hard of thinking and science challenged.

The real climate change catastrophic events include the shrinking of the polar ice caps, changes in salinization of the oceans, and changes in ocean currents (which define weather patterns around the world). If the gulf stream were to disappear or reverse, do you think the naysayers would be convinced? I doubt it. What if the great barrier reef were to die...oh wait, that's happening now...

Back when the NFLD grand bank cod stocks were diminishing, government scientists speculated that the cod had merely changed their migration pattern, and were just "elsewhere". It did not take long to realize that they weren't hiding, they were all gone. At the time, it was hard to believe that man could alter the oceans in such a finite and destructive manner. Easier to bury your head in the sand.
Old 22-12-2016, 11:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sahara Desert Snow Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

Back when the NFLD grand bank cod stocks were diminishing, government scientists speculated that the cod had merely changed their migration pattern, and were just "elsewhere". It did not take long to realize that they weren't hiding, they were all gone. At the time, it was hard to believe that man could alter the oceans in such a finite and destructive manner. Easier to bury your head in the sand.
Or.. an extra large portion of Cod and Chips.. whats hard to believe about Mankinds selfish greed..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-12-2016, 12:49   #30

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

A couple of chapters of T E Lawrence's " Revolt in the Desert" are about the time they spent snowed in in caves.
Closed Thread