Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2007, 16:07   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Safety knife: Where to stow, how to look after?

I just bought a proper safety knife for the boat... A good quality one (myerchin) with a serated blade.
a) Where do you think is the best place to keep the knife, on deck, for easy access?
b) Assuming the knife will be permanently stowed on deck, what is the best way of looking after it, to keep it sharp and rust free? (the knife is a 1 piece steel type)
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 16:33   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 414
One knife isn't enough for me, I like to keep several on hand in various places on the boat. Get a large good quality sharpening stone and keep a light coat of oil on it. Keep the salt water off of it.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 17:55   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Good advice. I was thinking of getting a 2nd knife and locating one in the cockpit (within reach of the steering positions) and one at the mast.... It looks like it is back to eBay for me
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 18:42   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I keep one on my hip (belt). It's kind of an old habit from the Navy days. If one were to fall over or have to abandon ship it could come in pretty handy.

The one I keep at my side has two different blades (the main one locks open), a saw, flat and philips drivers, spike and small pliers. A bit like an Army Swiss knife but twice the size (Buck)......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 20:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have two of the Myerchin knives on board -- one in a sheath secured to the wheel post (or whatever it's called), and the other in a sheath on the rigid boom vang. I figured that these are locations where they might come in handy. However, we've never used these knives, but instead use our personal folding knives we keep tethered to our PFD/harness. You know, for critical stuff like opening beer bottles, etc. I carry a Boyce folder and really like it.

The Meyerchin knives do rust a little, though. I believe that they are made from 306 stainless. I probably should clean and oil them more often.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 07:50   #6

Boat: Tayana 48
Weyalan
Like you, I have a Myerchin. However, I keep it attached to me any time we are underway. My thinking is that if anything needs to be cut away, I'm probably going to be the one doing it. I keep another blade and spike permanently at the helm for any crew to use, and I encourage crew to have a knife attached to their belts (I keep several lesser-quality blades below for this). Knives are like flashlights...you wonder why you have so many, until you need them...then you're glad they are there.
John
Old 31-07-2007, 09:21   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I hang mine from the companionway ladder grab rail. It's inside the boat but instantly available.
Old 31-07-2007, 11:02   #8

In your pocket or on your belt.

Spray with WD40 or similar from time to time.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 17:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I keep one on my hip
Handy is hard to beat. All for one and one knife per crew member is never a bad idea unless you short change the rum or alot too much. Rum and knives is not a good idea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 17:29   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
One Isn't Enough!

When you need a knife you really need a knife and you rarely have time to screw around looking for one.

We keep a Viet Nam era K-Bar in a sheath on the binncle support in the cockpit; a fishing net knife in a sheath on the solid vang at the mast base and another fishing net knife in a sheath on the bow pulpit.

I also keep a 37 year old knife with a Marlin spike in a sheath on my belt and have several spares aboard for visiting crew to do the same.

In 47 years of sailing I've only needed a knife a few times but then, desperately. And, with the new "high-tech" lines, a good knife is imperative. We've found that using several coats of McLube SailKote seems to keep our knives rust free.

Good Luck!

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 17:34   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
In 47 years of sailing I've only needed a knife a few times but then, desperately.
Clearly this is the case. There are but a few things that meet this requirement. And less that are as important.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
... Knives are like flashlights...you wonder why you have so many, until you need them...then you're glad they are there.
John
Oh so true ... And as svHyLyte and Paul said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety