Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 08:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom Goetz/Martin 40
Safety At Sea

Last week I taught a session at the Junior Safety at Sea Seminar run by the Storm Trysail Club at Larchmont Yacht Club. 200 juniors came for a morning of classroom sessions and an afternoon of on-the-water practice on 20 different boats ranging from J/105s to 40-footers. I taught the session on the Quick Stop Man Overboard Recovery and the biggest take away is that crews need to practice this maneuver frequently on their own boats. Even though racing requires tacking and jibing, most good crews have to do some warm up tacks, jibes, sets and douses at the beginning of each race day to warm up and make these moves automatic. The same goes for crew overboard practices. The more we do them, the more automatic they will become. I had been sailing for 50 years before I was on a boat that had an actual man overboard and I am glad it happened on a boat that had practiced. The water was cold that April. Remember, the life that gets saved may be your own.
AdamLoory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 09:42   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Safety At Sea

Words to live by. Kind of a Karma thing.

Up here on Lake Superior the mid Superior buoy water temperature right now, July 24, is 39 deg F. Not much time on the surface for a boat to turn around and find you and haul you out.

Life jackets are just to spare close relatives a 7 year wait to legally declare you dead.

BTW, a few years back University of Minnesota Duluth was pretty sure that Lake Superior was warming up because of the climate change thing. They were just looking at surface temperatures though. Haven't heard much from them lately.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:24   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLoory View Post
Last week I taught a session at the Junior Safety at Sea Seminar run by the Storm Trysail Club at Larchmont Yacht Club. 200 juniors came for a morning of classroom sessions and an afternoon of on-the-water practice on 20 different boats ranging from J/105s to 40-footers. I taught the session on the Quick Stop Man Overboard Recovery and the biggest take away is that crews need to practice this maneuver frequently on their own boats. Even though racing requires tacking and jibing, most good crews have to do some warm up tacks, jibes, sets and douses at the beginning of each race day to warm up and make these moves automatic. The same goes for crew overboard practices. The more we do them, the more automatic they will become. I had been sailing for 50 years before I was on a boat that had an actual man overboard and I am glad it happened on a boat that had practiced. The water was cold that April. Remember, the life that gets saved may be your own.
Goodonya Adam! Good skills to pass along.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 16:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tanton 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLoory View Post
Love it Adam! It reminds me of a joke: A man is sailing to Carnegie hall and falls overboard, how will he survive

(P.S. As a former crew member of Lora Ann please say hello to Richard for me! )

Tags
safety