Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 13:51   #1

safety

A close relative is a good sailor but refused to wear life jacket on our boat. He was confident of working on deck and even put down the main sail in the dark without having life jacket. We mentioned this safety rules to him but he ignored them. we were very annoyed of his behavior.

How can you deal with this kind of people on board in a polite way, especially when it is hard to ask them to leave the boat?
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 14:38   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: safety

Is he the captain? If so then it is his call.
Old 15-08-2017, 15:33   #3

No, he is just a crew on our boat and a close relative of my partner who is a captain.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:33   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

What sort of life jacket are you asking him to wear? A bulky orange one? A sleek dinghy jacket? An inflatable with a harness built in?
Is he already wearing a harness and tether?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:37   #5

I don't wear one myself and nor do many , ( I believe it was Taberly who never wore one , was lost overboard ) I would have thot it q easy to insist all obeyed the rules on board , or else .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:46   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Slam gybe the boat while he's next to the boom. See if he stays on board.

If he does, apologize for doubting him.

Otherwise...see if his opinion changes after you get him out of the water. And take your time going back to find him.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:59   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
No, he is just a crew on our boat and a close relative of my partner who is a captain.
The captain needs to set the standards clearly. If crew or guests don't wish to follow them then they are should no longer come on board. If this causes too much family angst, then have the relative stay in the cockpit and have someone else do the jobs.
Old 15-08-2017, 16:02   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you are owner of boat. sounds like you have not much experience yet. you have a friend who is a captain. did you make him wear a pfd?
why insist the friend of cpt wear one?
most of the time folks demand use of pfd while gently sailing is due to their own insecurities.
1955 we had no lifelines no pfd in constant use and no mandate for use of them no shoes either. some folks roll that way. doesnot make em unsafe. is their choice.
if you are so insecure as to require a constant pfd usage or shoes while out sailing, i feel badly for you. your job is to show folks where the items are in case of need, not to become bligh and demand all be done your way. some folks cannot do things your way.
i used to sail with a friend who insisted i hold lines specific way. as my hands are disabled i cannot do that. we had wars on that one. he also demanded i board and disembark a specific way which was not safe for me.
the person is over 18?? like you are gonna change his ways? under 18, you can force kid to wear one.
over 18, suggestions are warranted not demands.
if you dislike that, donot take him with you next time, but you will limit your learning experiences in that.
yes it is your boat and yes you are responsible, but there is a limit on your nanny work here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 17:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 375

The skipper sets the rules on his own boat, and anybody who refuses to follow them doesn't come back on board. Simple as that.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 17:57   #10

Boat: Leopard 39

As the skipper, you are responsible for your relative's safety on board, and if, in your judgment, crew on deck at night under way should be wearing PFD's (and I think many here would agree with that), then case closed. If your relative is a seasoned sailor, he should have appreciated your position. Talk to him about it over a beer.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 18:20   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

I say let him go forward without a pfd, if he's an adult. If an adult can ride a motorcycle in FLA without a helmet, why can't someone go forward on a boat without a pfd. Recommended it and let him go. I hate wearing them and all my grandkids love wearing them. It's like seatbelts with kids, it's their second nature to put them on.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 18:24   #12

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I say let him go forward without a pfd, if he's an adult. If an adult can ride a motorcycle in FLA without a helmet, why can't someone go forward on a boat without a pfd. Recommended it and let him go. I hate wearing them and all my grandkids love wearing them. It's like seatbelts with kids, it's their second nature to put them on.

This is why I asked about the type of PFD offered. I never wear them on the big boat, but can't sail the beach catamaran without one....however I've seen people out sailing on 30+' boats wearing the type 1 orange slabs. I might grumble about wearing an inflatable or a kayaking vest on someone else's boat, but would also just flat refuse to work on deck in the type 1/2 orange blocks.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 18:47   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Aden,

The US. is extremely litigious. Without your saying in your avatar approximately where you are, no one will know. Customs vary about how men deal with each other.

Someone made the suggestion to discuss it over a beer. A jug of punch, a pastis, some aqavit, whatever applies in your neck of the woods. You see, you are still responsible for his well being, and you get to decide the rules on your boat.

Fwiw, many people still only wear lifejackets when they feel the need, ditto tethers, and in the main, only children are required to wear them all the time. And that teaches the kid to feel unsafe without, which I am not at all sure is a good thing, though many will disagree. There even may be times when you're better off to be vigilant about your balance than to rely on "equipment" to keep you safe.

Basically, if the area in which you sail has rules, then you gotta make sure you and your guests abide by them, even when they are more experienced than you. If you take this particular chap out again, let him know beforehand what your rules are, and get him to agree, or don't bring him again. Hire instruction, if you want it.

Someone else mentioned there is a sort of fear culture going these days. Boat behavior exists along a spectrum of absolutely as safe as possible, to very little. You will place yourself somewhere in there. Just don't let people make you believe sailing is more dangerous than you think it is..

Mostly money is tight, but you really do want comfortable-to-wear PFDs, and they should include a crotch strap and a hoisting/tether ring. On my boat, you only have to wear it when you think you need it, or Jim or I insists you put it on.

Ann
Old 15-08-2017, 18:53   #14

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

There are some PFD's that you wear around the waist, like a belly band he might consider.
Best would be a harness with proper jackline and tether at the centerline of the boat so it does not let a person reach past the lifelines. Would he object to either one? If so, he will be a liability.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 18:58   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
A close relative is a good sailor but refused to wear life jacket on our boat. He was confident of working on deck and even put down the main sail in the dark without having life jacket. We mentioned this safety rules to him but he ignored them. we were very annoyed of his behavior.

How can you deal with this kind of people on board in a polite way, especially when it is hard to ask them to leave the boat?
Your boat your rules! It's not a democracy.

Tags
safety