Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 17:49   #1

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45
Question Safe ports to pull into in bad weather

Sailing from Buzzards Bay to Savannah offshore, leaving in a week. Should weather deteriorate what are some safe harbors to pull into for 7’3” draft along the Maryland, Virginia coasts if any? Carolina coasts seem to give more options once past the Cape. Any suggestions very much appreciated.
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 21:55   #2

Re: Safe ports to pull into in bad weather

7'3"... Wow.... And I thought I had problems with 6'7".

You don't have many options. Especially in bad weather which will close many harbors you might otherwise be able to squeak into.

I don't have to tell you about the Delaware and Chesapeake, of course. Nothing else I can think of. But.... we are talking about a stretch of coast you can cover in two days--at most. What kind of weather problems do you expect to creep up on you in that time?

I hope when you say you are "leaving in a week" that's not a hard schedule and you can wait for a proper weather window.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, weather