Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07   #1

Safe places to anchor in Saint Vincent

Beginning to plan the navigation for a trip early February from Rodney Bay, St. Lucia going south for a week. From my research, it seems that Chateaubelair Bay is far from safe for anchoring over night. Cumberland and Wallilabou seem fine.

Would like to know your experience with anchoring in St. Vincent. What's the safest? Any dangers? And which is your favorite and why?

Thanks for your input,
Jackie
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 20:10   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Safe places to anchor in Saint Vincent

Have traveled throughout St. Vincent on numerous occasions.
There are some beautiful waterfalls just above and north of Cumberland.
Anchored in both Cumberland and Wallilabou.
Prefer Cumberland, I find it quite majestic with the lush green jungles on the steep mountainside extending down to the water's edge. Very peaceful and serene.
You anchor stern in in about 100 ft of water and simply tie your stern to a tree. The boat boys there are quite helpful if you let them. Also a lot of fresh fruit brought to your boat but they were not pushy like the crowd at the Pitons on St. Lucia. Have enjoyed my stay there every time I have been and like the locals.
Do not care for Wallilabou and other than the movie set for Pirates of the Caribbean it offers very little and would spend my time at Cumberland. I have been sailing there since the late 70's.
St. Vincent seems to have a bad reputation here on the forum but have never had a problem. But maybe thats good...it keeps the herds away.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 00:33   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have not been there in a while but when we were there we met a lovely lady from St Vincents in Bequia and told her we were going to sail over is a couple of days. Her advise was to leave the boat in Bequia and take the ferry over - she said it was a bit of a problem on occasion and we would be better off using the ferry -

While we were in Bequia there was a boat in St Vincents (I don't remember which bay) was broken in to and everything removed.

We did have a friend do an overnight in one of the bays and did some snorkeling and thought it was fine.

Read Carib safety and security net along with noonsite
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:35   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

We were there in 2012.

Met the first boatboys miles out of Wallilabou, they wanted to "show us the way". Plenty of them around in the bay as well. Once tied up (the guy asked for 20USD) we found an invasion of flies and mossis. The salon ceiling was black. The surroundings looked run down .

We left within 10 minutes or so. During these minutes we had the pleasure to be bumped into by a handful of boozed boatboys all trying to sell the same stuff.

Since it was getting dark we anchored a few miles south in an empty bay in the middle of nowhere. Not listed in the Doyle guide. We spend a few calm nights there together with a french boat. No one around so no safety concerns for us.
That place had the best snorkeling we found in the lesser antilles.

We stopped in Chateaubelair for checkout. that area did not feel safe at all.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We anchored just outside blue lagoon. Good anchorage if you want to be there. Also anchored at wllabaloo in 8m in the corner. I'd skip anchoring and tying a line ashore. The boat boys have no idea and just want their $$. Nice place to swim and snorkel. We anchored twice at chateaubouler. First time in June when another cruiser came and warned us they had been boarded the previous night and a bit of stuff stolen. Second time a week ago when we were the only yacht anchored. I'd anchor there again. It's a good anchorage. Thiefs around st Vincent and st Lucia seem to be opportunistic kids swimming from the shore, not hardened crims. Just leave a deck light on and preferably a big dog on deck . George is the on,y local boat boy and very friendly (maybe a bit crazy?) we had him aboard for a couple of hours and he was amusing Jen with his (serious) stories that he can see zombies, and if she wanted to see them he would tell her when one appears and she can stand behind him and look over his shoulder. Haha. St Vincent allows 24 from checkout to departure, so we checked out at bequia, sailed to chateaubouler for the night and continued north next morning. You can also check out there but it involves a short walk to the police station for immigration as well. The most common place for boarding lately is canouan. Give that a wide berth!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:26   #6

Boat: PaceShip PY26

I personally would avoid Wallilabou. we stayed there overnight in 2012 and while we were at dinner at the restaurant right at the docks someone managed to break into the boat and steal all the cash that was aboard.

Maybe it's cleaned up by now but i can not recommend it. see my review on tripadvisor and read some of the others.

stay away or double lock up your valuables - Wallilabou, St. Vincent Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:02   #7

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

a couple of years ago we grabbed a mooring off young island. we had no concerns and it was a short dinghy ride to land. very friendly locals helped us get diesel as the marina was out. I can also say the admiralty bay anchorage in Bequia is awesome and the ferry is right there.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:59   #8

Boat: PDQ 44i

We never go there. We always leave St Lucia at first light and later the same day we check into St Vincent and the Grenadines at Port Elizabeth, Admiralty Bay, Bequia. We really like Bequia.
Have a great cruise.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:32   #9

Thanks for all your helpful guidance.
We've decided to bypass St. Vincent and go directly to Bequia on the way South, and anchor in Cumberland Bay on the way back to St. Vincent.
Can't wait for January 30th!
Old 09-12-2015, 14:50   #10

Meant anchor in Cumberland Bay on our way back to St. Lucia. (But you probably figured that out!)
Old 10-12-2015, 02:05   #11

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
The most common place for boarding lately is canouan. Give that a wide berth!
Really, that's a shame. I like it there. I've been there a few times. What happened?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:49   #12

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Really, that's a shame. I like it there. I've been there a few times. What happened?
i'd figure it's getting to crowded
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:53   #13
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No so much crowds. Most of the boardings have been off season. The last 4 months I heard of about one per month, all catamarans.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16   #14

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
No so much crowds. Most of the boardings have been off season. The last 4 months I heard of about one per month, all catamarans.
Catamarans, so near shore, chosen by boatless thieves as it is a shorter swim?

Boardings, so not break-ins and not with violence and presumably just looking for possessions on deck, but mostly nothing taken and presumably at night?

Not good of course, at all, but the picture is of local kids a bit out of control and being stupid. Needs nipping in the bud before they get ambition. There are some good people on the island with the right attitude, who will be interested in getting on top of this.

I hope the boardings were reported?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:17   #15
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes poiu, that's pretty much the scenario of most of these reports. Close enough to swim or paddle to, often charter cats where they see 8 people headed to shore in the dinghy for dinner, access through an unlocked hatch or door, cash and small electronics taken etc. usually they run/swim if interrupted. I think most are exported to the Caribbean security network, but I'm sure many are just reported to the local police. A lot of charterers are probably unaware of the Caribbean security network. https://www.facebook.com/saphety.matters/
There was a recent boarding in mayrau as well, same MO as described above. I was speaking with one of the locals about it and his comment was that all the boat boys are thieves and criminals from st Vincent. A bit harsh maybe, and maybe just wanting to refute that their could be locals engaged in that sort of activity. It's best not to jump to conclusions about who might be responsible. Usually of a dinghy or motor gets stolen the locals are the first to get the finger pointed at them, but often it might be a fellow cruiser headed to another area. Or a poorly tied bowline. The mayrau local was also telling me how the locals fishing boats had been stolen a few months ago from the beach where they drag them ashore. Two nice big pangas with fairly new Yamaha 60's. A real shame considering the cost of those things and the amount of time and fish it would take them to replace them. He blamed gangs coming up from Trinidad, but again, that's just hearsay.

Tags
anchor