Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 23:38   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Ryobi vs Yamaha vs Honda 2000 watt

Yup, i did go to google search. I have gone to each web page and looked at the specs of each generator. Believe it or not...it looks like the best bang for the buck is the Ryobi Bluetooth 2300w. Lots of reports from Puerto Rico of people using them 18 hours a day for months and no problems. The Honda is around 1000-1200 dollars, and the Ryobi and Yamaha similar in price at around 600 dollars.

So, fellas, i had a Honda Acura, and i have Honda lawnmower, so u know i love Hondas. But what ya think about the Ryobi or Yamaha gens. I already know the Honda is the gold standard. But if the other ones have the same gas consumption, the same decibel rating, 3 yr warranty....is it worth paying almost 70% more for the same product?

Please don't waste your time telling me how good the Honda is. I know it is excellent. I want feedback about reliability of the other two products in real world time usage.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 01:28   #2

Re: Ryobi vs Yamaha vs Honda 2000 watt

Ok then i won't waste mine or your time saying I've just purchased a new Honda EU22i, which has superseded the old reliable EU20i, we've had the EU20i for 6 years and it has now gone on to permanent off-road camping duties with the new model taking over the boat duties, but i certainly won't waste both of ours time telling how great i think the new model is

Never even contemplated the other two, sorry, hopefully others will chime in

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 02:12   #3

Boat: Stormwind 40 ketch

I am considering a 2kw generator too. I was leaning towards Honda, because I think it is the easiest to get spareparts to. But I am eagar to hear experiences!

Thanks!
drummer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 03:43   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

The Yamaha won't start a CruiseRO or a Rainman watermaker, the Honda will. Thats a fact.

Also.. You really need to shop around. A Honda 2000 can be purchased for $700-$800 if you shop.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:27   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Bear in mind that the EU20i is a 1600w generator with peaks of 2kw. also I think the inverter in the Honda is pure sine wave. I don't know about the other two.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:54   #6

Boat: 53' Cutter

After 2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha, and one "other brand from China", I can say definitely NOT Yamaha.

The Yamaha has given me all sorts of problems from the day I bought it new. It has less than 50 hours on it and it is already in the shop. It has always had difficulty starting, and simply will not run loads that are near its capacity (1600W). The two Hondas were nearly flawless, each running several hours per day for months on end, and one put in three straight weeks 24/7 following Hurricane Charlie.

The "other brand from China" had starting problems when new, but so far has worked well. At this point, I do not have enough time to recommend it.

Hondas are available worldwide, and so are the parts. That is how I am going when the Yamaha pushes me over the edge. (FWIW: I think I am jinxed with Yamaha. I have had multiple new Yamaha 4-stroke outboards, and had serious problems with all of them - carb related every time. The one older 30hp two stroke I had was awesome.)
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 05:02   #7

Boat: CT 49, 1989

These compare the Honda and Westinghouse generators

But a very good question if they will start a 1 HP induction motor. Allegedly the Yamaha doesn't.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:11   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Even though it's not on your shortlist.

I once decided to buy a Kipor 2Kw instead a more expensive Honda.
Never again, bad to service, bad reliability and a customer service witha terrible attitude towards clients in Germany.
Buy cheap buy twice.

I had a Honda eu10i on a previous boat never failed me.
Honda even offers a kit to link two of those together.
Great from a redundancy standpoint.

I am about to throw the Kipor POS out and replace it with a Honda.

Due to a wind generator recently purchased I will also downgrade the genset to a trusty Honda eu10i.

My 50cent.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 21-02-2018, 06:50   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Sigh.... This thread must have jinxed me.. I just spent the morning doing a carburetor job on my Honda 2000..

It wasn't the generators fault as I found water in the carb bowl. Further investigation and I found about a cup of water in the fuel tank. This is the third time I have gotten watered fuel. Twice in St. Lucia.

Cleaned everything up, dried the fuel, and she fired right up.. I really do love my Honda!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 07:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
After 2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha, and one "other brand from China", I can say definitely NOT Yamaha.

(FWIW: I think I am jinxed with Yamaha. I have had multiple new Yamaha 4-stroke outboards, and had serious problems with all of them - carb related every time.
I'm admittedly a Honda guy. I used to ride dirtbikes. I recall loosing a day of riding because, that morning, my brother and my buddy both couldn't start their 'electric start' Yamaha 250's. My kickstart Honda 400 turned over with one kick. The Yamaha carb's seem really finicky.

My Honda 2K will run my 5K Air conditioner/heater on the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:56   #11

Boat: Union cutter 33

Here’s the problem I have with Honda when made in Japan high quality good product they are now made in China as are the other two so Honda s making them cheaper but didn’t reduce price passing the savings on to the consumer they just lined their own pockets like so many other manufactures
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:01   #12

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
Here’s the problem I have with Honda when made in Japan high quality good product they are now made in China as are the other two so Honda s making them cheaper but didn’t reduce price passing the savings on to the consumer they just lined their own pockets like so many other manufactures
Are they? Well that is disappointing!
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:08   #13

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

Just want to throw this into the mix for discussion. Probably will put 50-100 hours on it a year.

Don
Home - Sailing S/V Bonzai!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62523_zzz_alt2_500_1.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	164549  
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:15   #14

Boat: Freedom 32
Thumbs up Re: Ryobi vs Yamaha vs Honda 2000 watt

Also, a Predator fan.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:20   #15

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Even though it's not on your shortlist.

I once decided to buy a Kipor 2Kw instead a more expensive Honda.
Never again, bad to service, bad reliability and a customer service with a terrible attitude towards clients in Germany.
Buy cheap buy twice. m
Speak as you find. I had a Kipor 1Kw on board I now have a Kipor2Kw on board. I have another 1Kw & 2Kw Kipor at home which I am selling and we have two 2.4Kw Kipors to run the house during power cuts. I have found the parts easy to get, brilliant after sales service and they are reliable. I have owned the two bigger Kipors for over 10 years.

I bought the boat kipor used and faulty for £120, I sent it away, new fuel switch and the case was broken in transport, they fitted a new case and returned it for £90.

Kipor used to make generators for Honda. Will it start a air con, I dont know, the UK doesn't get that hot and we get sea breezes where I go.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda