Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 18:27   #16

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I wasn't aware that they could stick their hands in your pants and cradle your nuts in their hand, but apparently they can and did.
And they didn't even buy you dinner first???

What a shame. I've had a few unfortunate run ins with police, most were my fault, a couple were wrong place wrong time situations like this. Sounds to me like they were almost tryin to bait ya in to doin something wrong, gettin you pissed enough to get a little disorderly.

If your too young to cruise through there at 40, imagine what they'll do when I come through at age 27. I better bring some lube.

Cheers

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 18:34   #17

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
And I inderstand that you had nothing to hide and wanted to get on your way, but at the same time they had no probable cause. One of my firm beliefs is our government officials get away with abusing their power by harassing people going about their daily lives for no other reason than because we let them. Especially Homeland Security, until you mentioned that I was like ok let them do their thing and be done with it, but when you said homeland Security and customs was involved, that puts it over the top.

One of my true hopes is Obama puts a stop to a lot of this Homeland Security Crap, I guess only time will tell there though.

PS if you cancel your trip because of this, they win, by scaring you into giving up your freedom in, as they call it, the name of freedom

As crazy as it sounds, there is now yet another chapter to this story.

After all this happened earlier, I informed the police that I will remain tied up to this dock at the boat ramp where it all went down overnight. They ruined any chance of me making it to my next anchorage and the tide was low enough that I was already bumping bottom. Those cops said that was fine (as if I was asking permission). Well, just a few minutes ago, I was walking my dog up in the parking lot and here comes a squad car flying into the lot. They stopped and the interogation began again. I got frisked AGAIN though less sexually this time. They said I had to leave and at this point my boat is standing on the keel and you can see air under the front third of the boat. I mean, I'm high and dry and they want me to move the boat. After much explaining and pleading they finally left me alone. This has been quite a day. I can't WAIT to get away from Charleston. I'll be going offshore if I have to transit this area again.

I could understand if I looked like some kind of thug, but I'm the all-American kid. Short military style blonde hair, baby blue eyes, no tattoos, no piercings, no criminal record, son of a Baptist minister. Seriously, I couldn't be more wholesome if I had to be.

At this point, its starting to feel like harrassment.
Old 05-02-2009, 18:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

Oh, did you have a run in with anyone at the marina?
I never have run ins with anyone, anywhere. This either was truly random or as someone else said a bad tip and thought I was someone else.
Old 05-02-2009, 18:43   #19

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
I have a friend who was stopped on the West Florida coast a few months ago. He and his wife were stopped by a rude FL Marine Patrol . They requested to board but the wife said permission denied. They left, not to be seen again.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:06   #20

This is what my boat looks like right now. The cops were telling me I had to move it. If you look close, you can even see a little of the keel. Unbelievable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air boat.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	7003  
Old 05-02-2009, 19:07   #21

Is there an attorney on this forum dealing in matters of civil rights/marine?

Is it possible to compile, on this forum, records of these offenses by the authorities and to report them timely, by e-mail, as a group, from this and other forums, in a petition, signed by all members, demanding a hault to all harrassment. Senators and congress and the president.

Congress has no idea what is going on here, and how the given authority is being abused by law enforcement.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:12   #22

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a present: CharlestonPolice@ci.charleston.sc.us The Charleston police email address. Give the word Aqua, and Although I only speak for myself, I believe they'll be receivin' some fan mail...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 05-02-2009, 19:35   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Whatever happened to having to have probable cause to search your "vehicle". Looking to young to be cruising is not probable cause. I am curious though, if you told them no they couldn't search the boat why did the dog enter the boat.

I would have been telling them to get a search warrant, I kinda doubt they would have gotten one. But then again with the way things are now they probably would have gotten one and then found the stupidest thing they could to charge you with just to be a$$e$.
The search laws and the requirement for obtaining search warrants do not apply to boats, even if your boat is your home. Don't ask my why but they don't. If they want to come aboard, they can and they don't need a reason. This has been fought all the way to the Supreme Court a few times and each case lost.

I totally disagree, but that's how it is.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:35   #24

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Unfortunately you were not taken prisoner and shipped to Gauntanimo. If you had been there would have been free lawyers crawling out of the woodwork to protect your rights. As it is, since you are rich, you own a boat so you are rich aren't you, you'll have hire your own lawyer. After you have spent a small fortune or maybe a large one, the supreme court won't hear your case because they ruled in 1984 that as a person on the water in the US you have no civil rights under the 4th amendment. This had much more to do with the war on drugs than the war against terrorism which didn't yet exist in 1984. What may shock you even more is they have the right to do this at the dock even if you are not aboard. They can cut your lock off and do what they want with no probable cause what-so-ever. As you might gather I have a problem with this.

Twisty, I would not count on Obama to change things. Unless you're gay, a racial minority, an illegal alien, or a murdering Al-queda SOB, I've not heard anything in his agenda that would suggest he is interested in protecting your rights. Given the economic mess, I suspect that the rights of a few "rich" boat owners is not going to get much attention.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:40   #25

Aqua, can you provide specifics, time, exact location, officers names, agency, uniform color, car colors etc. I for one am going to send e-mail, unless you would rather not, as I am sure you are still stranded, and would like all of the info available.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:54   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If this thread wants to get political then we will close it. It's not that it's off topic but it is political. In an international forum it usually ends up a mess. Legal and political commentary has generally led to more argument and less substance. Hijacking this thread to entice political debate is not a proper use of the forum.

The facts of this situation are significant and appropriate though it seems much of the commentary is not. We are not a political forum or a chat room.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:57   #27

It is probably true that we currently have no rights on the water, but congressmen will always respond to events brought to their attention by large groups. The idea here is not to expect to change the law, but to have the big guys come down on the abusers, even slightly, causing even a modest change in attitude.

The police have responded in the past to videos and recordings relating to their activity. They still cannot shake Rodney King. They may have the right to board, but they still can be charged with Civil Rights Violations by the FEDS., also Rodney King case.

We keep both video cam and dig recorder on board.
Old 05-02-2009, 20:03   #28

This is not political Paul. It is abuse by authority, which certainly trumps, what kind of anchor, engine problems, teak care, and the like. It is about basic rights of the cruising community. Some of us could use a set sir!

By your definition my signature is political also. This is a discussion of law, and the abuse of same, not politics.
Old 05-02-2009, 20:27   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Orion, This forum has a long history of discussion of abuse of authority with regards to law enforcement boardings. I suspect that the mention of Mr. Obama's agenda in my previous post is what triggered the response by Paul. My appologies to the forum for my transgression.
Old 05-02-2009, 21:05   #30

Captain Bill, Your comment was not political either. OBAMA is president and as such should have an interest in protecting the rights of many groups, and curtailing police abuse.

Some of us apparently do not know the difference between political comments and attempting to protect basic rights by using the elected officials who we have put in office to do just that.

The international community already knows that the good old USA is no longer the land of the free. It is no longer a secret.