Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 05:31   #721
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Rudder Failures

A lot of new buyers assume the best is a new boat.
I've been around boats all my life, but have always thought a boat has about 10 yrs (tops) before it becomes a maintenance nightmare and that boats that were 25 or more yrs old were pretty much beyond being seaworthy. My background was powerboats. I've since learned different, it depends on the quality of construction more than anything.
A lot of that perception is of course beneficial to the manufacturers, they only make money on new boat sales, vast majority of new boats owners really do not have any plan at all of ownership beyond 5 or 6 yrs or so, they expect another, new boat by then.
We have become a disposable society, maintainability and durability have taken a back seat to things like the newest style and whats in fashion, everything, even our houses are not built with the idea of lasting as long as possible, no they are built totally with the idea of how can we make it as flashy as possible with as little money as possible. Everything is cheaply made. You see hollow core doors with two hinges and cheap thin pot metal door knobs on million dollar "mansions" now with 14 Ga wiring, marble counter tops as those are fashionable, but they sit on particle board counters with thin, cheap plumbing.

Boats are no different, a new boat buyer wants the shine and big screen TV with satellite and touch screen electronics, and if he can get four more feet of boat in brand X than brand Y and especially if brand X looks more modern, has a bigger shower and a fancier entertainment center and brand x is bigger and cheaper than brand Y, the next yrs production is sold out. The fact that everything not visible is the cheapest available, and poorly made is irrelevant, it will impress everyone and having an impressive Yacht is the point isn't it? Just like the Mcmansion.

Yes I do fly, had a M-6/235 Maule I sold to help buy the boat, but kept the 1946 Cessna C-140 as a toy for now, Sold the CBR-1100XX, but kept the Husqvarna TE-450
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:48   #722

I'm getting to be an old fart in body but not in mind. Like you I love flying and motorcycles but right now sailing is taking up all my time and money, LOL. My wife also flies and rides, well since she met me anyways so we have lots in common. I just sold a real nice Acrosport 11 before we left but have a Piper PA-20 that is a fun machine. We had 4 bikes, my race bike was a Aprilia Tuono and my street bike was a V-strom. My wife has a perfect Honda GB500 and a SV650. They all sit forlorn in our hangar, should have sold the lot when we left.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06   #723
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm getting to be an old fart in body but not in mind. Like you I love flying and motorcycles but right now sailing is taking up all my time and money, LOL. My wife also flies and rides, well since she met me anyways so we have lots in common. I just sold a real nice Acrosport 11 before we left but have a Piper PA-20 that is a fun machine. We had 4 bikes, my race bike was a Aprilia Tuono and my street bike was a V-strom. My wife has a perfect Honda GB500 and a SV650. They all sit forlorn in our hangar, should have sold the lot when we left.

V-Strom DL 1000 here.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:25   #724

The V-Strom is a great all rounder. If you want to push it it needs some suspension upgrades. Here is yours truly on the Aprilia a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	email copy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	91449  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34   #725

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Ahh since i sold years ago my Yamaha Thunderace every time i hear talking about bikes im jealous, my sister have a Ducati Monster 992,It has cost me a headache to change the OEM exhaust pipes for a set of Termignoni racing mufflers plus a racing centralite, real ducati sound, really sad we dont have time to ride the baby, is in the garaje with a dusty coat under the cover...Im dreaming with the new BMW HP4 , some day some day!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:46   #726

Neil,
You are like the rest of us idiots, nothing sounds like a Duke with those pipes.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:50   #727

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Im not really interested in see youtube videos showing a small open boat doing well in a race or the sunfast in the Transquadra, but well thx for post it anyway, regarding the Akilaria , first they dont use grid liners , second the bulkheads are actually plexus bonded but with laminate in both sides, pls check the picture again and zoom in, you can see the tabbing tape trough the core .

The sun fast, i believe they are the series who made popular jeaneau, funy to see the grid structure infused in the hull with fiberglass and resin instead of a egg Shell droped with plexus, maybe that and a bunch of detail in cosntruction plus the perfomance under sail made this boats so popular,bulkheads i believe are fg tabbed, but im not sure...
These are French designed boats even if the Akilaria is madeunder Fench management in Tunisia for costs. What he can find in French regarding the way the Jeanneau and the Akilaria are built leave no doubts:

"Les varangues sont faites en monolithique verre vinylester infusé en moule femelle. Celles-ci sont collées au PLEXUS (colle méthacrylate) dans le fond de coque. Ce matériau garantit un collage mécanique mais aussi chimique.
Le pont est aussi collé au PLEXUS sur la coque. Les chandeliers boulonnés traversant la zone de collage coque pont complètent la liaison."

Philippe FISTON Le bateau TERRITOIRES ATTITUDE

There are structural parts that are glued to the boat, no doubt about that.

Regarding the Jeanneau SF 3200 the use of Plexus or a similar glue is even more intensive since the boat is built the same way other jeanneaus are, that means with a hull and a an interior molded hull bonded to the first one.

COQUE : Infusion avec sandwich balsa. Contre moule structurel collé Plexus®.
Sun Fast 3200 chez Motte Marine
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:52   #728

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Must be something in sailors' blood about V-Stroms. Sold a 650, with the 1000 seat on it for leg height. Great touring bikes. Solid as a BWM at a fraction of the cost. I miss that bike.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:58   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The V-Strom is a great all rounder. If you want to push it it needs some suspension upgrades. Here is yours truly on the Aprilia a couple of years ago.
Humm, I am surprised with Neil, I thought he preferred a Harley easy rider, instead of a performance motorcycle Pity he has not the same good taste in boats

It seems we all liked fast bikes, but mine is racing on an international event:

Old 12-11-2014, 07:58   #730
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I used to Road Race a Suzuki GS500 in WERA Sportsman class, no Aprillia or Duc, but very competitive and fun and not so painful when you dropped it
I still have it, it sits in the barn and hasn't moved in 12 yrs.
Many years ago, like in 1974, I was sponsored to race my Husky WR 250 by Husky America, reason I have a Husky now, old man syndrome, better I guess than gold chains, a Corvette and a Mistress?
I've always wanted a Duc, almost bought one recently, but money needs to go into the cruising kitty and re-fit.

Know anyone who wants a cherry Husky and or a C-140?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02   #731

Hey Polux..great pic, you have to be in great shape to ride anything close to motocross.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:06   #732

a64 pilot when I was a young fellow Huskies ruled the dirt. I still like the sound of them. Sounds like you were quite the rider yourself.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:07   #733

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
V-Strom DL 1000 here.
The same here, one of the best price/performance ratio one can find.
I like her for blacktop, dirt roads and even Jeep trails. For the latter it seems she is getting heavier with age, kind of like myself .
A bit suspension work and for the Rudder a fork brace and you are good to go.
Read ya all and enjoy it

Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08   #734

AVB3 The 1000 seat on the 650 was a very common mod on the Stroms..were you riding in Alberta or Florida?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:28   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Read it carefully. Flanged bulkheads bonded in place are exactly the same thing as a glass tab. It's just that the tab is prebuilt as part of the bulkhead. This is not the same thing as just bonding in a bulkhead, at all. The load is spread over the bond area by the taper in the glass tab. Or, in this case, the bulkhead flange.
I don't understand your point. I always said that the bonding should be properly done. Your point was that bonding was only used on cheap boats, on structural parts as a way of saving money. This is no way a cheap boat, quite the contrary and on the Shipman line they use bonding agents for structural purposes. Point made.

"the hull and the upper flanges of the bulkheads are chemically bonded to the deck using Spabond 345, an epoxy-based adhesive. Once this operation is cured, the final stiffness of the boat is achieved.
...the structure is made in female molds, laminated using Sprint and, after oven-cure, bonded to the hull with Spabond 345 material"."

Tags
rudder