Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 05:26   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Route Houston to NC

We're negotiating a purchase on a 40' cat in the Houston area. Just starting to plan how to sail the boat back to NC. I would appreciate insights from anyone who has done a similar trip - particularly the Houston - Key West portion. The remainder northbound can, of course, be done in the ditch if we prefer.

Time frame would be May-June.

Boat is well equipped with emergency gear and sat phone.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14   #2

Re: Route Houston to NC

I've done Kemah to Charleston SC. We did it in July, which I don't recommend. Lots of pop up thunderstorms, especially around 3am.

YouTube channel "Have Wind Will Travel" went from Houston to Cuba a couple of months ago. They had much better weather.

Huge number of oil platforms in the gulf. You hear horror stories about derelict platforms without any lights, so you have to run radar all night.

We planned nonstop to Key West, but ended up heading to Clearwater for rest and fuel. Had great weather and sailing from Clearwater nonstop to Charleston.

We got boarded by the Coasties off of Fort Lauderdale. When we asked why, it was because we hadn't stopped in Key West or Miami.

Including the rest stop in Clearwater, the trip took 2 weeks. I would have preferred 4-6 weeks and more stops, but I had commitments.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
houston, route