Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 18:44   #16

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: ROUTE from FT Lauderdale to New orleans in end of August

The Okeechobee waterway has a 45 foot air draft. Impossible for that size bed.The route from marathon through snake Creek to Naples has a 63' air draft at Channel 5 and Mosier. Snake Creek is a bascule so there is no problem if you wish to take the Florida Bay route.

Crab traps make night Sailing you're really impossible, but the distance is preventable to be days sails.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:42   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The Okeechobee waterway has a 45 foot air draft. Impossible for that size bed.The route from marathon through snake Creek to Naples has a 63' air draft at Channel 5 and Mosier. Snake Creek is a bascule so there is no problem if you wish to take the Florida Bay route.

Crab traps make night Sailing you're really impossible, but the distance is preventable to be days sails.
Florida Bay is scenic but too narrow and twisting for night operation and sailing most of the way would be a challenge. Offshore, the Hawks Channel route to marathon easy sailing and well marked. Many places to anchor overnight but few accessible marinas until Boot Key/Marathon.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 13:44   #18

Yes to above -then KW to New Orleans
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 13:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Florida Bay is scenic but too narrow and twisting for night operation and sailing most of the way would be a challenge. Offshore, the Hawks Channel route to marathon easy sailing and well marked. Many places to anchor overnight but few accessible marinas until Boot Key/Marathon.
Taking Old Spanish Channell avoids the twisting Florida Bay and traps
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:36   #20

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post

Snake Creek is the only option to get inside before KW as the L45 has a 72' air draft. FWIW, both Channel 5 and 7 Mile bridges are 65' clearance. Also, crab traps should be gone until October when the season opens again.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Yes to above -then KW to New Orleans
Yep. This time of year, that's what I would do. Wait in Key West for a good weather window and then directly for the Mississippi barrier islands. Avoid the delta and the oil rigs.

That 72 foot mast is going to be a pain in the ass everywhere in the southeast U.S. I can't believe anyone would buy a boat with a mast that tall without even knowing what the bridge heights are in their area.
Old 06-08-2017, 16:23   #22

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
ROUTE from FT Lauderdale to New orleans in end of August

I wouldn't venture too far out in the Gulf in August. I'd leave from Clearwater pass and go to a point near Cape San Blas that would give you a bail out to Port St Joe. You can get cell phone internet off the Cape and check weather. At 6 knots SOG it is around 30 hours. From there head straight for the outside buoys at Destin and when 15 miles offshore, if weather is still good head direct to Pensacola Pass. You have bailout options at Panama City and Destin on this route. It is 7 NM longer than going Clearwater direct Pensacola Pass but you have multiple bail outs if the weather gets dicey. Total time at 6 knots is about 48 hours to between passes. It took m 50 hours on this route from Clearwater Marina to Homeport.

I'd skip Appalacacola and atop at Pat st Joe or Panama City as either are more direct.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I wouldn't venture too far out in the Gulf in August. I'd leave from Clearwater pass and go to a point near Cape San Blas that would give you a bail out to Port St Joe. You can get cell phone internet off the Cape and check weather. At 6 knots SOG it is around 30 hours. From there head straight for the outside buoys at Destin and when 15 miles offshore, if weather is still good head direct to Pensacola Pass. You have bailout options at Panama City and Destin on this route. It is 7 NM longer than going Clearwater direct Pensacola Pass but you have multiple bail outs if the weather gets dicey. Total time at 6 knots is about 48 hours to between passes. It took m 50 hours on this route from Clearwater Marina to Homeport.

I'd skip Appalacacola and atop at Pat st Joe or Panama City as either are more direct.
Actually, after thinking about it, and them, a little more, I think you're right. What I would do is probably not what they should do.
Old 06-08-2017, 18:00   #24

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Actually, after thinking about it, and them, a little more, I think you're right. What I would do is probably not what they should do.
Actually, that is not a bad option and only adds about 50 miles, you could lay for Tampa from Key West, then as you closed Tampa if you needed to stop an easy stop, if not just lay off for N.O. Does tend to avoid most of the rigs but a bit more Traffic near Tampa.

I carried a 72' mast on an Alden 54 up and down the east coast several times, then to the med and back, never really had a problem with it. (but then I never cared much for the intracoastal..).

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 20:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Actually, that is not a bad option and only adds about 50 miles, you could lay for Tampa from Key West, then as you closed Tampa if you needed to stop an easy stop, if not just lay off for N.O. Does tend to avoid most of the rigs but a bit more Traffic near Tampa.

I carried a 72' mast on an Alden 54 up and down the east coast several times, then to the med and back, never really had a problem with it. (but then I never cared much for the intracoastal..).

M
It's one thing to buy a boat with a 72 foot mast when you know you won't be trying to run the ICW with it. It's another to buy a boat with a 72 foot mast when you don't seem to know where you plan on using it or anything about sailboats or sailing.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:59   #26

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
It's one thing to buy a boat with a 72 foot mast when you know you won't be trying to run the ICW with it. It's another to buy a boat with a 72 foot mast when you don't seem to know where you plan on using it or anything about sailboats or sailing.
The OP never said he was going to try the ICW. Not sure why you're ragging on him about mast height.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:02   #27
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Surely there are more places to stop at. Or is this a hurry trip? Which of course if it is a hurry trip it is going to have a schedule to go along with it.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
The OP never said he was going to try the ICW. Not sure why you're ragging on him about mast height.
You're right. I'm sure everything will be great.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59   #29

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
I don't think an L45 will clear any of the bridges between Pensacola and Mobile Bay. I know some of them have a 70 foot air draft and all three of those ICW bridges are 65 feet IIRC.
I am pretty sure the bridges now are 75' when I checked last. Perdido and at the Wharf. Sailor beware! don't just take my word for it. Need to check the bridge past Lulu's
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 13:05   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually USACE claims a minimum 49' air draft at the rail lift bridge on the Okee Canal. Just have to pop a wheelie and take the cat through on her transom.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans, route