Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-07-2014, 03:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

Round The Island Race 2014

This year I was one of the many to be drifting around the Isle of Wight...

I had been lined up to skipper a First 40.7, however on the Thursday she was due to be hoisted for a quick clean before the race. The strops were positioned over the sail drive and the hoist resulted in a loud crunching noise followed by a gush of water into the yacht! I arrived shortly after this to discover that I no longer had a yacht for the race... The rest of the day was a frantic rush to source another boat so that I could take out the 6 guests who were due to arrive on Friday afternoon. Just before their arrival I was able to jump on board a Bavaria 47 that had kindly been offered to act as a replacement.

With very little wind forecast, I was able to convince the crew that the extra space and comfort would be far better for us anyway! The table was out for most of the day, the rugby was on the radio and the fridge was turned to full power.

Due to the lack of wind and a general desire to get back in time for the beer tent, the crew voted to retire early (before St Catherines Point). Despite this, a fabulous day was had by all!

Here is a short video that I am sure I wouldn't have had time to make had it been a bit windier!

Round The Island Race 2014 - YouTube

I hope you enjoy it...

Pete

Tags
race

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: