Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 05:22   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Rokatenda Volcano Eruption

I just received a request for information on Rokatenda / Paluweh Volcano in Indonesia where s/v Totem is currently cruising. They came in view of the volcano with ash clouds issuing from it. The nearest news I find is from March 13 so I was wondering if anyone had more recent news I could relay to them for their safety. Behan and Jamie and very safety conscious so they will not be taking any chances with an active volcano.
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 05:37   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont
I just received a request for information on Rokatenda / Paluweh Volcano in Indonesia where s/v Totem is currently cruising. They came in view of the volcano with ash clouds issuing from it. The nearest news I find is from March 13 so I was wondering if anyone had more recent news I could relay to them for their safety. Behan and Jamie and very safety conscious so they will not be taking any chances with an active volcano.
Thanks
Well, they themselves just mentioned spewing ash about 4 hours ago on their FB page. They have the most recent info.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Rokatenda Volcano Eruption

there is also apparently a marked increase in volcanic activity around the santa cruz/solomon islands.
i hope there are not too many major smoke plumes as it screws up the weather in the pacific later in the season.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 06:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Well, they themselves just mentioned spewing ash about 4 hours ago on their FB page. They have the most recent info.
True - they did. And their email mentioned that it was "a bit disconcerting". They were wondering if we could find any reports on it.

Old 16-03-2013, 06:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to the Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC), Paluweh has experienced minor ash and gas emissions almost daily since the initial blast on February 12, 2013.

Based on analyses of satellite imagery and wind data, the Darwin VAAC reported that during 9-12 March ash plumes from Paluweh rose to altitudes of 2.4 km (7,000-13,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted 25-75 km E and NW.

Paluweh volcano, also known as Rokatenda, forms the 8-km-wide island of Paluweh N of the volcanic arc that cuts across Flores Island. Although the volcano rises about 3,000 m above the sea floor, its summit reaches only 875 m above sea level. The broad irregular summit region contains overlapping craters up to 900 m wide and several lava domes. Several flank vents occur along a NW-trending fissure. The largest historical eruption of Paluweh occurred in 1928, when a strong explosive eruption was accompanied by landslide-induced tsunamis and lava-dome emplacement.
Global Volcanism Program | Volcanic Activity Reports | Smithsonian / USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report |

“Volcanic activity is almost constant along the arc of islands that make up Indonesia. If you follow the news, every few weeks there is a report on another Indonesia volcano becoming restless enough that areas surrounding the volcano are deemed “off limits” or evacuations are needed ...”
Eruptions | Wired Science | Wired.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 08:45   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

And this is why I picture Gord May sitting in wizard's robes among a bank of monitors. The black belt cinching the robes has "9th Dan, Google-**" stitched in gold on it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 08:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
And this is why I picture Gord May sitting in wizard's robes among a bank of monitors. The black belt cinching the robes has "9th Dan, Google-**" stitched in gold on it.
Lol!