Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 10:09   #61

Re: 'Roger' does not mean 'Yes'

The main usage of the VHF in the states is for kids to get on and call mayday just for the fun of it. Over and out.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:11   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The main usage of the VHF in the states is for kids to get on and call mayday just for the fun of it. Over and out.
Grrr, bring back the birch
Old 27-04-2015, 10:26   #63
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I know there are enough complaints about poor radio procedure to fill several books, but the one that irks me most is when someone says 'roger', when they mean 'affirmative.' If you don't know the correct pro-word, then just say 'yes'. 'Roger' just means you've received/understood the transmission. If you don't know what you're doing on the radio, there are resources that can help - RIC-22 — General Radio Operating Procedures - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

- Rant over
Goodie! I disagree with BOTH points!

Roger is fine for yes.
And no need to say the channel u are calling someone on.

Roger:
I can't find a proword list with "affirmative" or "yes" in it. So if you can please link it.
In this modern day "yes" is fine as is Roger, but "affirmative" too long and perhaps difficult for non-English speakers. (Remember theres lots of them 'out there')

Identifying the Calling Channel isnt needed because all VHFs in the last 20 years click to the last channel received with the Tx button is pushed. So you dont have to stop scan and select the channel, you just Tx and the machine does it automatically.

And, I am an "Over" boy.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:35   #64

Boat: Liberty 458

Roger means I have understood your message. Nothing more, nothing less. Affirmative just means yes and only yes.

Unfortunately roger is often used to mean many things. Probably because people hear it in movies. Likewise Over and Out is not valid. It's either Over, indicating the caller wants a response or Out indicating end of transmission and no response is required.

Roger often requires a compliance response. I will comply or I do comply is typical.

The first rule of radio communication is speak slowly. The second is speak clearly. Use simple unambiguous words. Like Yes instead of affirmative. If it doesnt need saying then dont say it.

Even the USCG radio operators often speak way too fast. Although for mayday or pan pan calls the USCG radio operators demonstrate how it should be done.

AFAIK hollywood or any show on tv is not an example of best practice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:37   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Goodie! I disagree with BOTH points!

Roger is fine for yes.
And no need to say the channel u are calling someone on.

Roger:
I can't find a proword list with "affirmative" or "yes" in it. So if you can please link it.
In this modern day "yes" is fine as is Roger, but "affirmative" too long and perhaps difficult for non-English speakers. (Remember theres lots of them 'out there')

Identifying the Calling Channel isnt needed because all VHFs in the last 20 years click to the last channel received with the Tx button is pushed. So you dont have to stop scan and select the channel, you just Tx and the machine does it automatically.

And, I am an "Over" boy.

Mark

in a scanning receiver, its useful to have the caller say the channel, in my case the radio resumes scanning within 2 seconds , so if I come down the companionway, I cant determine what channel I was called on.
Old 27-04-2015, 10:57   #66

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Correct, but to get both a ships license and a restricted operator permit, it's purely a financial transaction, no classes, no test, just send money.
We moved to the USA from the UK but our boat here is US documented and flies the US flag. We had to obtain a full ships licence and call sign in order to go outside of the US to say the Bahamas, non US Caribbean islands , even Canada or Mexico. fortunately we both hold UK issued radio operator licences and these were accepted by USCG licence issuers as OK so we have a US International call sign and full MMSI as our radio is a DSC one and we have an AIS transceiver also. However our previously learned radio procedure training seems totally out of kilter with the CB styles we hear n air over here

'Hey good buddy y'all got yo ears on?
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:02   #67

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Usually when a voice comes belching over the radio most people respond by sticking their head out the companion way hatch and having a look around.

w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:09   #68

CF... come in please...

In Canada we have marine VHF station licences and "Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime)" for the operator. The ROC(M) is apparently a requirement to use marine VHF in Canada, but I don't know of anyone being busted for not having it. I do know that marinas and yacht clubs often require their staffers to have the card in order to operate the ashore radio on ch 68. There was a short test for the operators card. the most usual way to get one is a two-evening course then the test, through a boating school.

The Canadian VHF station licence apparently isn't a requirement for use in Canada , but I understand it's a requirement when I sail into US waters.

I usually give the channel when calling up, because our normal waters are fairly busy, and people are usually scanning a number of channels - 13, 16, 24, 68... and another channel or two during a race or a cruise.

Over and out
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
CF... come in please...

The Canadian VHF station licence apparently isn't a requirement for use in Canada , but I understand it's a requirement when I sail into US waters.

Over and out
Likewise US boats going to Canada must have a US station license, but not if they stay home.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:44   #70
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
in a scanning receiver, its useful to have the caller say the channel, in my case the radio resumes scanning within 2 seconds , so if I come down the companionway, I cant determine what channel I was called on.
Yes you can, Dave. After the radio resumes scanning if you hit Tx it will change to the ch that last Rx.

Try it.

You never need know the Ch unless you are so slow off your butt someone else has transmitted on another channel.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:13   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
ha. as a commercial pilot for forty years i always got a kick out of 'proper radio phraseology mall cops.' newbee air traffic controllers would attempt to chastise veteran pilots for our 'misuse' of one term or another. long time controllers appreciated that the only thing that matters is clarity. roger, affirmative, yes, sure, all work in getting the message across and there is no time for petty bs about being fcc correct. get over it and just talk on the damn radio.
Nice post. I too have flown planes for 30 years and absolutely do not need any training class to use a marine vhf. Most of the so called rules were from a time long before FM transmissions. All planes today still use AM so the need for clarity is there. Licensing marine radio is a waste of time and purely a money making thing. We give out cell phones to anyone and dont make them take a test to see if they can operate it correctly. They do transmit on the airwaves just like a marine radio right. We dont make people take fcc exams to use wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:19   #72

Boat: Irwin sloop

My experience with VHF started in the "70"s when it was a handy and informative tool, always in the background expanding awareness of your surroundings and providing instant communication when needed. It has become more of an irritation than an aid and I find myself turning the volume down again and again until it is finally off and I am the only idiot I have to contend with. It seems like the only reliable info I get from it anymore is on 14 and weather, I only monitor 16 when I am north of Desolation Sound where the crowd tends to thin out a bit.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:32   #73

So San Fran Bay operates on 16 14 and what was the other one 10 and or 06. 14 is the cape town vts ch and we normally go to 10 I nice we have called up who ever we are calling except port vontrol my good friend Anthony Murray has been missing g aboard his 44 ft catamaran since 18 Jan 2015 anybody seen or heard anything...???
CptBobDuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:34   #74

BTW the name is Ray captain on the Jolly Roger Pirate Boat in Cape Town check it out on pirateboat.co za
Old 27-04-2015, 12:37   #75

And as far as roger is concerned .....yes THATS A ROGER IS FINE FOR YES