Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 16:18   #181
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: 'Roger' does not mean 'Yes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
But tell me, in which state of Australia can they breath test the crew?

That must be something very new as I've never heard of any state having that sort of power.
Yes that would seem to be an excess of power

Nanny states are strange things...Victoria was always considered to be the most extreme with Qld and the NT being the least but ever since the 90s, Qld has been on a mission to trump Vic and it seems to be almost there while NT is still pretty laid back. Although only a newcomer to the southern island state, it seems to me that this state doesnt have a enough cash to go out and worry the inhabitants.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:47   #182

Boat: Adams 40

Rustic,

We were in NSW. they weren't abusing their power. Five of the crew had been on the helm so they breath tested all five including me as skipper. We weren't annoyed that they tested us. They certainly have the right to do that. It was more about the frequency which definitely was odd.

David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 20:03   #183

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
Rustic,

We were in NSW. they weren't abusing their power. Five of the crew had been on the helm so they breath tested all five including me as skipper. We weren't annoyed that they tested us. They certainly have the right to do that. It was more about the frequency which definitely was odd.

David
ok, thanks for that clarification. Even breath testing others that have been at the helm is a bit excessive. Though, five at the helm, seems a bit strange in itself. :

The frequency is frustrating. I'm supposing they were having a blitz and it was different police each time?

We would frequently have upset drivers whilst carrying out RBT's claim that they had only been check around the corner, or if it's a static RBT where we set up and blocked a road off, sometimes we would have someone come back and get stung and they would complain.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 21:50   #184

From memory, I'd just come back onto the wheel within sight of the police launch as she approached and I handed over to a different member of the crew to find out what they wanted. So there was three crew they had every right to test immediately.

Personally, I strongly support RBT both on the water and on the hard. There have been some particularly stupid things done after a few drinks and some people simply need to be protected from themeselves.

And, yes, I'd happily move to Tassie with you and Wotname except for the fact that I prefer to have a year round sailing season. There's something about 10 degree water that I dislike.

Currently finalising the search for my next boat and it looks like I'll be bringing one back from overseas as I can't find what I want here. Might even rename her something to do with Roger - got to keep this thread relevant.

Oh, yes... nearly forgot. Five at the helm is not unusual on a bigger boat where the skipper likes everyone to be trained to do everyone else's jobs. And it's especially true for overnight races where you are standing watches through the night.
Old 05-06-2015, 21:59   #185

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
From memory, I'd just come back onto the wheel within sight of the police launch as she approached and I handed over to a different member of the crew to find out what they wanted. So there was three crew they had every right to test immediately.

Personally, I strongly support RBT both on the water and on the hard. There have been some particularly stupid things done after a few drinks and some people simply need to be protected from themeselves.

And, yes, I'd happily move to Tassie with you and Wotname except for the fact that I prefer to have a year round sailing season. There's something about 10 degree water that I dislike.

Currently finalising the search for my next boat and it looks like I'll be bringing one back from overseas as I can't find what I want here. Might even rename her something to do with Roger - got to keep this thread relevant.

Oh, yes... nearly forgot. Five at the helm is not unusual on a bigger boat where the skipper likes everyone to be trained to do everyone else's jobs. And it's especially true for overnight races where you are standing watches through the night.
Roger that

Yeah, it can get pretty cold. Neg 5 on Wednesday morning. First time it's got that low in many years. Lol but we have some fantastic sailing ground.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 21:59   #186
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Testing over and again? That, gentlemen, is what comes from living in two of the world's worst Nanny States: Australia and the UK.
Should have stuck the the UK

No rules here on the water.
(for sailing boats under a certain size anyway)
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 22:03   #187

Conachair,

The last time I sailed over there was in an Admiral's Cup. Trust me, I found plenty of rules then and ran afoul of a few too. Sailing is definitely different over there to over here.
Old 05-06-2015, 22:08   #188
cruiser

Quote:
Conachair,

The last time I sailed over there was in an Admiral's Cup. Trust me, I found plenty of rules then and ran afoul of a few too. Sailing is definitely different over there to over here.
Which ones?
Old 05-06-2015, 22:15   #189

Nothing major but there was one at a start which had us all really puzzled. We turned away to avoid a collision when we had right of way and got a stream of vitriolic abuse from the other boat. Never did discover what their problem was and couldn't be bothered going to them later to find out.

Clearly hadn't been rogered in the week before the race.
Old 05-06-2015, 22:23   #190
cruiser

Quote:
Nothing major but there was one at a start which had us all really puzzled. We turned away to avoid a collision when we had right of way and got a stream of vitriolic abuse from the other boat. Never did discover what their problem was and couldn't be bothered going to them later to find out.

Clearly hadn't been rogered in the week before the race.
Ah, racing rules. I was thinking sailing rules. Which are next to zero , ironically for a country so fond of health and safety.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:39   #191

The crew getting a breathalyzer? That sounds awful. The skipper would have to be staggering drunk around here to even warrant a breathalyzer, and then skipper only.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 13:39   #192

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, what do you think would have happened if one of the crew failed the breathalize test? Is there a law against being drunk on board? This seems OTT to me!

Jim
Old 06-06-2015, 16:35   #193

Boat: Oyster 66

I agree with the spirit of th O.P.

I came from the aviation world into boating and was pretty shocked at how sloppy things are.

This is how a radio should be used:

No insane endless both sides - single, double or heaven forbid, triple call sign repetition. No use of "over". Ever. You know from the squelch it is your go. Absolutely never, ever, ever using "over and out". No waffling, slow, unbusiness-like responses. PTT on, message out, button off, shut the flip up quick. That's how it should be done.

And I don't agree that roger and wilco are anything but utterly concise and appropriate. Copy and contact also for that matter too.

I think sailors pro and amateur have a lot to learn from the aviation world. Sorry, rant over.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote