Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 13:01   #151
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 'Roger' does not mean 'Yes'

A comedian walks on stage:

"Hello everyone, my name is Roger, Roger Wilco, and I get no respect.

The other day I called my friends but even my good buddies don't respond to me. One had the nerve to tell me to go "Up one!"

Then there is my teenage daughter. To me, she is 16, but when I speak to her in public she tells me to call her 19. I get NO respect!

Just the other night my wife and I were having a talk and she called me Romeo instead of Roger! I get no respect!

Now my wife says she doesn't think we communicate and it is Over and she is Out. She said she doesn't know who I am anymore. I could only think to say, I am Roger, Roger Wilco."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 13:42   #152

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

THANK YOU, Steady Hand!!!!!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:19   #153
Marine Service Provider

Neither Ship Radio Station licenses nor operator permits have been required on non-commercial pleasure vessels in US waters for years. Operator permits for pilots of US registered aircraft in domestic operations are no longer required either. For international operations of both aircraft and vessels station and operator licenses are required.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:45   #154

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

For as many time as I have heard knuckleheads go back and forth on two different channels....trying to find one another..guess it's not as easy to just hail and go to an agreed channel as some claim...I'll stick with what most professional mariners do in my area and much of the ACIW to FL.....

add the channel and get rid of the chatty cathy stuff amateurs use.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:54   #155

Yep, many commercial boats may have more than one VHF radio on and some set to a specific channel.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 17:08   #156

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A comedian walks on stage:

"Hello everyone, my name is Roger, Roger Wilco, and I get no respect.

The other day I called my friends but even my good buddies don't respond to me. One had the nerve to tell me to go "Up one!"

Then there is my teenage daughter. To me, she is 16, but when I speak to her in public she tells me to call her 19. I get NO respect!

Just the other night my wife and I were having a talk and she called me Romeo instead of Roger! I get no respect!

Now my wife says she doesn't think we communicate and it is Over and she is Out. She said she doesn't know who I am anymore. I could only think to say, I am Roger, Roger Wilco."
Roger that!
Old 29-04-2015, 17:56   #157

Boat: Adams 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
what is it so hard for some to understand that things are different in different parts of the globe? It's a courtesy to state what channel you're using TO SOME OF US. What the hell is wrong with that? Once we've established comms, then we don't say it all the time.
Stu, it's not difficult to do and I actually think it's a good idea. It might be a good idea to keep in mind that it isn't generally different in different parts of the globe. Most of us around the world use similar if not the same protocols though most of us get a bit lazy at times. It's actually the US that is out of step here - same with navigational markers. And, no, this is not an anti-American rant!

Most countries require us marine radio users to be licenced. In Australia, we don't have to be licenced for 27MHz but few use them now anyway. But for VHF and HF it is mandatory to be licenced. It's not so much about money grabbing as maintaining standards - thus minimising confusion in communications. We are required to use certain protocols when we initiate communications with ship and shore stations - and not just for distress calls. We are taught these protocols and tested on them (among a lot of unnecessary stuff) before licences are issued. That's why many of us non-Americans do not state the channel we are using. It's not one of our radio protocols. As I said, the USA is the one out of kilter with the rest in many of these things. But stating your channel is a good idea as it makes things easier for the receiving station. Can't argue with that.

For what it's worth,
David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:10   #158

David,

Thanks, nice post.

The US is out of kilter with a lot of other things, too.

The point of my post was to Ron, and I only used the rest of the "globe" as a pejorative, not a specific.

Licensing is not an issue in this discussion, and I hope it won't be. It would be great is the nimnals who hog the bandwidth all sank, but that's another story.

FWIW, we don't seem to have the issues of nonsense on the radios as much as some other parts of the country.

It could be because we're so close to Silicon Vally that no one uses those old VHF thingies anymore. :thumb :

Cell phones, SKYPE on tablets, voodoo tinfoil hats, whatever floats your boat.

I defend my right to monitor 8 channels on my one handheld radio and state the channel I'm using to establish comms, regardless of what Ron says.

I'll call him on 16 or 09, say I'm on 16 or 09, ask to switch to 68 and NOT EVER say I'm on 68 when we do get there.

All day, if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
Stu, it's not difficult to do and I actually think it's a good idea. It might be a good idea to keep in mind that it isn't generally different in different parts of the globe. Most of us around the world use similar if not the same protocols though most of us get a bit lazy at times. It's actually the US that is out of step here - same with navigational markers. And, no, this is not an anti-American rant!

Most countries require us marine radio users to be licenced. In Australia, we don't have to be licenced for 27MHz but few use them now anyway. But for VHF and HF it is mandatory to be licenced. It's not so much about money grabbing as maintaining standards - thus minimising confusion in communications. We are required to use certain protocols when we initiate communications with ship and shore stations - and not just for distress calls. We are taught these protocols and tested on them (among a lot of unnecessary stuff) before licences are issued. That's why many of us non-Americans do not state the channel we are using. It's not one of our radio protocols. As I said, the USA is the one out of kilter with the rest in many of these things. But stating your channel is a good idea as it makes things easier for the receiving station. Can't argue with that.

For what it's worth,
David
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:51   #159

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:00   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Posted by someone that drives on the wrong side of the road.

And the sailors in the US aren't the only ones that have our nav markers backwards. I believe all of North and South America, Japan, Philippines and Korea also follow the same system. They even use the "American" system in the "British" Virgin Islands.

And no, this isn't an anti-Aussie rant. Just love to poke fun whenever I get a chance.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:07   #161

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

For what it's worth,
David
Just a point of clarification. It's not 'mandatory' to have a license (proficientcy certificate) have a own or install a VHF, only use it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:18   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Just a point of clarification. It's not 'mandatory' to have a license (proficientcy certificate) have a own or install a VHF, only use it.
Has anyone (in Australia) actually been prosecuted for using a VHF unlicensed?
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:50   #163

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

sounds to me like you all need a damn good rogering.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 23:07   #164

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I believe all of North and South America, Japan, Philippines and Korea also follow the same system. ...
American Imperialism! Running dogs! Capitalist lackies ! etc........

the Japanese still drive on the left though..
Old 30-04-2015, 00:50   #165

Boat: Adams 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Posted by someone that drives on the wrong side of the road.

And the sailors in the US aren't the only ones that have our nav markers backwards. I believe all of North and South America, Japan, Philippines and Korea also follow the same system. They even use the "American" system in the "British" Virgin Islands.

And no, this isn't an anti-Aussie rant. Just love to poke fun whenever I get a chance.

Not arguing with anything you said, Skip, except that you drive on the wrong side of the road. You definitely don't do that. If anyone drives on the wrong side of the road it's those of us who lived under the former British Empire plus Japan. So, let's just say that's different.

Oh, yes.... and be careful who you poke. Some of us poke back.

Written by someone at least 15 hours (and a century) ahead.

Er... Was that a poke? I only used my fingers on the keyboard
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote