Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14   #1

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Robin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post

WE did indeed move here from England back in April 2012 to live on a Tradewinds 47 motor yacht, which we kept in Halifax Harbor marina here in Daytona Beach but before we got to start our cruising plans proper, I Had a stroke( in August 2012) from which thanks to my wonderful wife getting me quickly to hospital I have pretty much fully recovered. After I was released from hospital, in September2012, we still lived on the mobo, but decided to sell it and buy a condo, which is where we live now, overlooking the ICW in Daytona Beach just north of the Sea Breeze Bridge. We decided the mobo was too big to use just for weekending and odd days so when it sold we bought a 36ft Beneteau Oceanis 36 center Cockpit, and have gone back to my real love of sailing, the sailboat (surprisingly) being more easily managed by us two wrinklies when docking/undocking, especially in a breeze. We have succumbed to the oldies setup however of in-mast furling and roller genoa but hey we are still here and will still be cruising, with our Bahamas plans back in place for once we finish refitting the benny. she is back afloat now (In Halifax Harbor, Daytona Beach) with all new electronics, fresh bottom paint and epoxy barrier coats, new 10ft RIB, new outboard motor and stern dinghy davits (all to make things easier to manage), plus amotor lift crane, and all new canvas is in the process of being fitted, plus a new in-mast mainsail is on it's way from our favourite English sailmaker since there are no local ones here weirdly and our UK guy was much cheaper, even with shipping costs.

I am really looking forward to getting back afloat and used to the new boat which so far we have only motored to/from the boat lift. Initially we will just day or weekend sail with shortish trips mostly up/down the 'ditch' but then come the end of hurricane season and with some nice weather next spring we may look farther afield out to the Bahamas or even northwards to see the sister in law & family up in Charleston SC.

I was very lucky to recover well and am very grateful to have a second chance to do what I love and with the very best First Mate in the world to help me enjoy it.

Thought useful to move the digression in a whole new thread

Thought that was you. I remember paying attention to your move details in the other liveaboard forum.. I guess because I lived in England for a while and I was interested in some of your transition issues. I hadn't realized you'd been off with medical issues, but very nice to hear you've recovered from the stroke!

Your new ride sounds nice for you... and you have a great excuse to use the in-mast and roller furlers and davits and cranes and so forth... so it sounds like the best of both worlds: your preference for sailing, and not having to work so hard to do it!

I know Halifax Harbor; we stopped there briefly on our way up when we moved back from FL to MD... I remember it as a very nice place. I think with a very nice on-site restaurant, too?

Cheers, -Chris
Old 10-10-2013, 15:13   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Robin3

Yep, have fun on your new Benny, hope to see ya out there .
Old 10-10-2013, 15:30   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Robin3

With a ten foot long RIB, which has to weigh well over 100 lbs, Robin 3 might like to look at the electric dinghy hoist I built to fit my davits. See http://www.schooner-britannia.com/dinghy_hoist.html