Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 15:02   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Robbed in Nassau

I'm with Mark. I was boarded in the Philippines last year. No harm , kids entered and stole my phone etc. I saw them paddling away. After going to the village , waking them all up I got my stuff back. I felt for the kids ( thiefs)that had to live with the shame amongst their peers. All this could have been avoided if I had of had a security screen on the companion way! Not only that it was abit dauting afterwards to realize someone was in my boat 2m away from where I slept and I didn't hear them!
Security screen, and bars on hatches are a very easy deterrent.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:32   #62

It seems to me that every time you let thieves get away with it, they get emboldened and start to think that people owe them, that they are taking things that are theirs to take. How do you know that the next time they won't kill the cruisers out of frustration because there wasn't enough money? You don't.

I understand that people are poor and hungry, but maybe they should approach yacht owners during the day and ask if you'd like to get your hull cleaned, or maybe wax the top and sides for you.

I'm all for people being innovative and willing to work for what they want. I'm not a fan of thieves, I don't care how dire their situation is. Those of you who don't seem to be too concerned about theft...

you worry me almost as much as the thieves. It takes 2 to commit a crime, a predator and a victim. Ever watch those nature videos where a lion is hunting zebras? I always cheer for the zebra that decides he doesn't want to be lunch and fights back and kicks the lion's ass.

The ones that lay down and say, "Well, the poor lion has to eat too, I better just roll over for him" deserve to get eaten.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 16:28   #63
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It seems to me that every time you let thieves get away with it, they get emboldened and start to think that people owe them, that they are taking things that are theirs to take. How do you know that the next time they won't kill the cruisers out of frustration because there wasn't enough money? You don't.

I understand that people are poor and hungry, but maybe they should approach yacht owners during the day and ask if you'd like to get your hull cleaned, or maybe wax the top and sides for you.

I'm all for people being innovative and willing to work for what they want. I'm not a fan of thieves, I don't care how dire their situation is. Those of you who don't seem to be too concerned about theft...

you worry me almost as much as the thieves. It takes 2 to commit a crime, a predator and a victim. Ever watch those nature videos where a lion is hunting zebras? I always cheer for the zebra that decides he doesn't want to be lunch and fights back and kicks the lion's ass.

The ones that lay down and say, "Well, the poor lion has to eat too, I better just roll over for him" deserve to get eaten.
I agree! Never let thieves get away with it! Especially black ones.
And children!
Kill them all!

God bless the NRA!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 16:46   #64

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Wheew! Thought that was serious, til I saw it was Mark. :-)
Old 04-02-2016, 16:49   #65

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
And children!
Kill them all!

God bless the NRA!
National Recovery Administration???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...Administration
Attached Images

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 20:44   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
It's pretty obvious why his posts shouldn't be taken seriously.

Next thing you know he'll be proposing that everyone place their valuables in a plastic bag clipped to the stern railing every night so those poor people don't have to bother to come inside to get their stuff, just grab it off the railing as they swing by in the dinghy.

It's so much more civilized than closing one's doors and hatches and broiling down below all night over things so trivial and materialistic as one's personal belongings.

Make sure to include the passwords to your laptop, tablet, ipod and Iphone in addition to the pin numbers for debit and credit cards. We don't want to inconvenience them!
Old 04-02-2016, 21:18   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It takes 2 to commit a crime, a predator and a victim.
You make Mark's point perfectly, then criticize him for it. Very strange.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 22:11   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
You make Mark's point perfectly, then criticize him for it. Very strange.
How so?

It looks to me like he'll go to great lengths and inconvenience to not be a victim. Essentially, the thieves are dictating how he should live his life.

I won't let scum like that dictate my lifestyle to me. Some people keep the stock stereo in their car to avoid getting it stolen and all of the hassle that goes with it. I prefer a very powerful, clean sounding system in my truck. It's all hidden except for the head unit, silver window tint defeats prying eyes, an alarm system helps alert me if anyone does break in. I buy nice things, and I enjoy them. I also take steps to protect them, legally.

I can't imagine locking up the entire boat at night in sweltering heat, unless you have some sort of strong security screen door to let air through. I'm all for locking up your stuff, but I disagree with people who feel that the thief's poverty is any excuse for their poor decisions.

I camped down in Rocky Pt. MX one time, right on the beach. A couple of guys were coming through the RV park asking if anyone wanted their RV detailed. We bargained for a while and struck up a deal. They used some horrible chalky wax and did a mediocre wax job (not even close to detailed) but I was happy with the price and tipped them enough that they actually made what they originally asked for. Big smiles all around, I gave them each a beer, we relaxed together in the shade and enjoyed the great weather and beach. I loved that week, to me, that is what travelling is all about. Making new friends, sharing a beer, financially helping those who want to work, or buying local food and products.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18   #69
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

😁😁😁😁😁

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 05-02-2016, 04:33   #70

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
And children!
Kill them all!

God bless the NRA!
^^^^^^^^^^^
SJW TROLL ALERT.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:37   #71
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
SJW TROLL ALERT.
I think you mean sarcasm alert.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 05-02-2016, 04:46   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
I think you mean sarcasm alert.

The 'Cousin's' don't get Sarcasm mate..
Unless it comes with a club..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:57   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i personally believe it is our presentation that attracts folks with nothing to club us in our sleep and remove our precious things--laptops and cellular fones and fun toys for big and small boys, i keep my boat a lil rough looking.
it works.
no one approaches me or my boat.
i have been safe for 5 years now. in a strange land you all diss for narco warfare. what a miracle.
rodl.
i have seen the boats the bandidos enter-- shiny big and new. kayaks and toys on decks. beautiful new items. shining like the top of bald guys' heads. you can see the beacon calling the bandidos for miles.
show of wealth =bandidos.
when will (they) ever learn.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:05   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

Zee.. dey be smart Mon..!!
see de name on de boat.. FB search up she pops..
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..!!! Winston Mon.. look wha de's lobsters got.. dem be in de bay now and going to Palapa for a partay...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:03   #75

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I always find it interesting how easily people make excuses for altering their behaviour in the belief they are intelligent, worldly or streetwise when, in reality, they are living in denial or fear. To lock yourself up at night in your boat like a caged animal, with or without personal protection, is a tacit acceptance that you are not safe, otherwise, you would sleep with your boat open. What is your point? To collect your "Eagle Badges" so that others will know how many places you have visited in your travels? It's cheap and I'll take my chances? It won't happen to me? And, what is the reason you choose to cruise in an area where there is a potential for violence when there are so many places in the world that the issue of safety would not be a concern? If you travel with your wife or a female companion, is it a concern that the crime may be more than a robbery and one that will forever scar your life, memories and relationship? If this is not a concern for you, then I believe you are a callous, heartless person that ego and self-love are more important to you than anything else. Or, perhaps you travel alone, by design or necessity, and you're willing to take the chance. It really doesn't matter. So, for those of you who have criticized Socaldmax for his wise, prudent and experienced comments, you have done so at your own expense since this discussion is neither frivolous nor the subject for sarcasm. Some people in life learn from others wisdom; some from life's experience. It's your life; it's your choice. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
bed, nassau