Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 18:19   #121
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 1,906
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Rognvald, What's my secret? Seriously? Maybe I just haven't filled my profile in? Maybe it's just not important to me? I could put "adventure sailor" like you have on your profile, would that be better?
Anyway complete thread thrift, ive stated my opinion , for what its worth and don't have anything more of value to add, I'll leave it at that. Have a nice day.
Cheers Dale.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:56   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Robbed in Nassau

When it's dangerous to be a criminal there will be less criminals; rich or poor.
I've had a few opportunities to practice what I preach and those thugs will hopefully think twice before trying again.
When the courts and potential victims treat the thugs as the worthless waste of oxygen they are then we can hopefully sleep easy whether or not we lock ourselves in.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:31   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Formosa 41
Posts: 569
Re: Robbed in Nassau

How much can this guy expect to take if he swims to the boat naked?
__________________
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:01   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,335
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHoleDiver View Post
I agree, I would not have put pants on. I would have pulled the trigger first and dressed as I called the police with the suspect dead or wounded on the boat. I am an LEO of 20years and it's in the training. NO ONE is getting in my salon without meeting my H&K.
Please read this thread and tell us what you would have done in that situation.

In Prison in St Lucia
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:05   #125
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 1,906
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Please read this thread and tell us what you would have done in that situation.

In Prison in St Lucia
So what was the end result? Was he convicted?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23   #126
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,596
Images: 240
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
So what was the end result? Was he convicted?
Eric Sommerís murder trial was, once again (?for the 28Th time?) adjourned, last year (2015). Heís been imprisoned since May 12, 2012. I don't know what's happened since.
SLUCRD2012/1053 ➥ http://www.eccourts.org/wp-content/f...rch202015r.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:13   #127
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

Cheers Gord...!!
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:42   #128
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Eric Sommerís murder trial was, once again (?for the 28Th time?) adjourned, last year (2015). Heís been imprisoned since May 12, 2012. I don't know what's happened since.
SLUCRD2012/1053 ➥ http://www.eccourts.org/wp-content/f...rch202015r.pdf
Thanks Gord,

It doesn't matter if the cruiser is right or wrong, the chances are the attacked cruiser will spend years and years in some stinking jail awaiting trial to prove 'self defense' whilst their boat is picked over and rots.

Its just not worth it to gun down locals when all you had to do was lock the bloody door!


Mark
__________________
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15   #129
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,070
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Thankfully most thieves are sneak thieves, that is they want to sneak in, get what they are after, and slip away.
If confronted by a light shining in their face, or a locked / barred companionway, they simply slip away, same if they awaken you, they flee.
Only the rare one will go about tearing his way though a locked entryway, after he hears you moving around and hollering. Either way I believe your in a better position if your awake and they are outside, than if you awaken with them in your face.

I refuse to Ghetto up my dinghy / motor and or the boat, I take too much pride in them for that.
I'll make mine hard to board which she already is, dinghy in davits, and keep the cockpit lights on, maybe add a motion sensitive 12V flood light, and install bars on the companionway and two hatches big enough to drop through.
That will deter most thieves I believe.
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:45   #130
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Robbed in Nassau

1) That gun didn't do you much good, did it?

2) Why didn't you call the police first, not ask the guards to do it?

3) Crime can happen anywhere, even in the good old USA. Lock your boat.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:47   #131
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
When it's dangerous to be a criminal there will be less criminals; rich or poor.
I've had a few opportunities to practice what I preach and those thugs will hopefully think twice before trying again.
When the courts and potential victims treat the thugs as the worthless waste of oxygen they are then we can hopefully sleep easy whether or not we lock ourselves in.
And when do you expect that to happen?
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52   #132
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,975
Re: Robbed in Nassau

[QUOTE=Wakey;2037646]No zhag, it's not different. I was going to explain this to you but common sense is lost on romantics.

Wealth does not offend poor people, just liberals.



I think Z in her way is trying to explain CONTEXT. Your point is not relevant in the CONTEXT in which she is living. I would assert that brutal hard work and serious aggression exist side by side in the 3rd world. There is a serious disconnect between work and reward. There is no circumstance whatsoever that will connect the two...the only way to get anything is naked aggression. People in those circumstances care less for your truth, even less for your values. Hence, El Chapo. In that context, its your world turned on its head. Wealth is not evidence of virtue but the personification of evil. Trying to apply North American values to that context is viewed at best as simple stupidity and at worst as outright provocation. Want to get robbed, assaulted, screwed over? Just display how evil you really are. Just sayin.....
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:59   #133
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Nothing I own is worth me killing someone else over. If that makes me a 'victim' then I think we have very different definitions of the word!
Same here. That's why we have insurance.

I want to see them arrested and sent to jail but I'm not going to execute them for stealing a stereo.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19   #134
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

[QUOTE=IdoraKeeper;2039600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
No zhag, it's not different. I was going to explain this to you but common sense is lost on romantics.

Wealth does not offend poor people, just liberals.



I think Z in her way is trying to explain CONTEXT. Your point is not relevant in the CONTEXT in which she is living. I would assert that brutal hard work and serious aggression exist side by side in the 3rd world. There is a serious disconnect between work and reward. There is no circumstance whatsoever that will connect the two...the only way to get anything is naked aggression. People in those circumstances care less for your truth, even less for your values. Hence, El Chapo. In that context, its your world turned on its head. Wealth is not evidence of virtue but the personification of evil. Trying to apply North American values to that context is viewed at best as simple stupidity and at worst as outright provocation. Want to get robbed, assaulted, screwed over? Just display how evil you really are. Just sayin.....
I think all those Mexicans who have moved to the US from Mexico have influenced the mentality of the American Public...
It seems from what I read here and on FB etc Wall Street, Big Pharma, Monsanto.. Blah, Blah... Wealth is the Personification of Evil..
El Chapo Legalised...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:29   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And when do you expect that to happen?

Sadly no time soon. Soft on criminals and blame the victim seems to be all the rage lately.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed, nassau

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates foolishsailor Health, Safety & Related Gear 391 25-09-2015 08:20
suggested itinerary nassau- exumas-nassau 6 nights americad Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 30-12-2013 13:12
Robbed by a Fellow Boater Ti' Punch Off Topic Forum 52 26-10-2010 12:31
Cruising Couple Robbed at Gunpoint in Mexico TaoJones Pacific & South China Sea 0 16-02-2009 13:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.