Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 20:03   #91

Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I'm curious how attempting to prevent scum from entering your boat is considered letting the scum dictate a lifestyle, but sleeping with a gun under your pillow is not?

Not passing judgement on which protection method is best, I view that as a personal decision.
I never said anything about a gun under the pillow.

The reality is, one must lock up with some sort of security gate to prevent thieves from entering. As much as I don't like it, it is a reality in some areas. When he posted that, I was under the impression that he meant locking your door and closing all of the hatches, sealing the boat up tight and broiling yourself overnight. If one uses a strong security gate and some sort of bar across the hatches that are open, that seems a reasonable precaution to take without broiling.

In one of my posts you'll see that I reference other people who listen to crappy stock stereos just out of fear their vehicle might get broken into if they install a nice one. Now that is letting thieves dictate your standard of living through fear.

Zeehag's theory that making her boat look less attractive and appearing to be derelict as a safety measure is a little dubious, might not always work. Not many people would want to live like that. Most people take pride in ownership and keep their boats looking nice and shiny. I'm not willing to go to those lengths.

I think a great asset in the fight against crime is forums like this and cruiser nets, where people can pass on the word where to avoid high crime areas. Let the local businesses feel the loss of revenue and maybe they'll put more pressure on the local police to start cracking down harder. Usually they know who is causing all of the trouble, they just need a little push to get cracking and exert a little force on the problem children.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:24   #92

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
...I was under the impression that he meant locking your door and closing all of the hatches, sealing the boat up tight and broiling yourself overnight...
Come on!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:30   #93

Boat: islandpacket

When you assume. Don't

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-02-2016, 21:08   #94

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Oh, you mean that thing? The aluminum fake security screen any male over the age of 15 could rip out of the tracks and bend in half with one hand? I think we have different definitions of security screen. I'm thinking of something that would actually keep a person out, made out of steel and powder coated. I had some new hasps made for my trailers from 2 layers of 4130 plate, welded together. Much better than the original that was cut through with a pair of bolt cutters like a hot knife cuts through butter.

Did you notice that Mark blamed the VICTIM instead of the napping security guard? The security guard's JOB is to prevent theft at night, not to sleep!

Telling the victim it's his fault he got robbed is EXACTLY like telling a rape victim it's her fault for wearing suggestive clothing in a foreign nightclub.

Sorry, I don't buy that train of thought, and anyone who does...

well, discuss it with your better half. See how that works out for ya.
I think you would find Mark's screen a little more than cheap aluminum. They take their security screens pretty seriously in Australia! Usually steel with a mesh that is very hard to break through.
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 21:32   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
I think you would find Mark's screen a little more than cheap aluminum. They take their security screens pretty seriously in Australia! Usually steel with a mesh that is very hard to break through.
Look at the thin track that it's in. You don't have to bend it by much to pull it right out of the track.
Old 05-02-2016, 22:00   #96

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Oh, you mean that thing? The aluminum fake security screen any male over the age of 15 could rip out of the tracks and bend in half with one hand? I think we have different definitions of security screen.
===

I think you sort of miss the point. It's like the old joke about "how fast do you have to be to out run a wild bear?" The answer is "only faster than the guy next to you". It's the same way with security. If you're boat looks like it is not an easy target the thief will usually go somewhere else. In any case, if they have to break something to get in, it will probably wake you up and get your defenses in high gear.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 22:13   #97

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Some places I've been, Mark's security gate would make a good mosquito screen.

goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 22:25   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

I think you sort of miss the point. It's like the old joke about "how fast do you have to be to out run a wild bear?" The answer is "only faster than the guy next to you". It's the same way with security. If you're boat looks like it is not an easy target the thief will usually go somewhere else. In any case, if they have to break something to get in, it will probably wake you up and get your defenses in high gear.
You're assuming that the thief isn't currently high, or going through withdrawals, is thinking rationally, that all of your neighbor boats aren't lit up like Cape Canaveral and have even stronger screens than you or big Rottweilers sleeping in the cockpit...

the guy with that screen could very well be the easiest target in the entire harbor.

In regards to your reference the "outrun a bear" story, there are 2 different trains of thought in that scenario. There are those who would look for the food backpack and toss it over to the bear, giving both of you a chance to run and survive.

Then there are those whose first reaction would be to shoot their "friend" in the leg, ensuring they would be able to outrun their "friend." Which option one chooses, even jokingly, reveals a lot about the person, IMHO.
Old 05-02-2016, 22:32   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Some places I've been, Mark's security gate would make a good mosquito screen.

goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes, one landed at the Naval base in Key West, FL and they pumped 400 gal of JP-5 into it before they figured out that it was a mosquito!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26   #100

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
I never said anything about a gun under the pillow.
True, but you certainly advocate taking out the predator. Guns normally enter that equation.

I personally don't have any sympathy for a what happens to a perp in the course of committing a crime such as B&E on a boat. But, I would be damn sure I knew the laws and what protections there were for me before taking such course of action.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:35   #101
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one need not make a derelict looking craft to be under radar. merely cruising oceans creates a rough look to a good cruiser. no shine, no varnish and no awesome cool display of wealth toys to shove in faces of folks who make under 10 usd per day for living.
when cruising one MUST consider the folks in the area you cruise.
what is their daily income.
what does that 15 or 10 usd actually buy?? (not much)
how soon after a cane does their house get repaired?? is it 5 months before they can afford a roof for their home??
be smart, not ********. ******** flaunt wealth then bitch when clobbered for their toys.
yes this IS the fault of the victim. victim is ASKING to be clobbered for their toys. imagine the incredible wealth the locals see from watching those of us who actually DO cruise. how long do you imagine it would take a family man with no money for food for the kids nor roof overhead nor appliances (due to storm damages) to become emboldened enough to clobber someone for the OBVIOUS wealth displayed before them?
why not use the brains gifted to ye when born to be able to figger this out???
AVOID bs, avoid being clobbered...
do not shine in the face of poverty. get o know the local folks. assist them in some way to better their situations. become embraced by the locals. enjoy your experience.
it isnt that difficult.
i see so many cruisers avoid the local population, then , when the boat needs repaired, call on the gringos who only come here to exploit the cruisers.
why not use a local with knowledge and abilities instead of asking for the bs delivered??
life is so much easier when you utilize the local talent and avoid the bs wallet raping gringo destructors.
yet we the cruiser MUST go with the english speaking engine thieving wallet raper over the less pricey but more talented local.
splainme this.
and then the one with raped wallet continues to support the thieving idjit... without seeking appropriate assistance. this is a stoopit cycle. yes the victim is responsible, in cruising, for the outcome.
you go out into poverty flaunting wealth then bitch about being clobbered and robbed.
ye go to a pirate to have an engine rebuilt.. lol.. is actually a sad state of affairs when folks are too lazy to seek out the good folks to help with a problem.

makes sense to me...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:07   #102

Zee, I'm guessing you aren't a morning person..

Blaming victims for crime is vile. Would you blame a girl for being raped?

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:14   #103

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Good point Miss Z,
the only problem I see is finding the locals that know how to do the work right. But yes that would be a good way to support the local economy and maybe make a friend or two in the process.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42   #104
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Zee, I'm guessing you aren't a morning person..

Blaming victims for crime is vile. Would you blame a girl for being raped?

there is a huge difference between rape and bandidos in pair a dice.
walking from a place of work to a car or subway or bus to go home is a lot different from sitting in an impoverished area in a fancy million dollar or half millon dollar floatie with many toys worthy of 1000 usd exhibited for others to see and envy. these others make 10 usd daily. is a huge difference. if you cannot see this, then you need to learn economics and mebbe manners.apples and oranges. always compared by those unaware of the differences.

as for locating excellence in pair a dice--ask a fisherman where the best electrician and best mechanic and best pump injector happen to exist.
this is very easily done. even i can do this, and i HAVE done this. (see thread named KA LUNK) this is not difficult. researching your potential repair folks also helps you NOT to lose your ass in public when it comes to a repair much needed.
as for ASSuming my perfect time of day-- mebbe you should go back to school at ASSumption tek.
i laugh at those who ASSume
enjoy a predawn crack shot..i do these daily. have been so doing since i began cruising in 2008.
enjoy
oh yeah--this was zihuatenejo., guerrero, mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:01   #105

No zhag, it's not different. I was going to explain this to you but common sense is lost on romantics.

Wealth does not offend poor people, just liberals.

Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, nassau