Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Robbed in Nassau

I just moved from a house that although I was on 100 acres, the surrounding area wasn't all that good. I got robbed a couple of times. Then got my Daughter her Chocolate Lab, sweet dog really, but some are afraid of big dogs.
I even found a pair of shoes in the front yard one time, I guess you can run faster if you lose those shoes .
Got robbed twice more, petty robberies kind of thing, neither time he broke into the house, but got lawn equipment one time and my welder the next. I know who it was too, it was a painter I had hired, that learned the dog was friendly.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:10   #47

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In all honesty, it's not the same. In one your prepared, there is no Wife and or family to defend etc. your a Professional, doing your job.
The other, your not likely prepared, your standing there with your ** hanging out, waking from a sleep and not really sure what is going on as brain isn't functioning, then a huge emotion, we all hope we will be as brave as a Momma cat defending her kittens, and some may, I pray if it ever happens, I will.

Best course of action obviously is to avoid the situation. Make the boat harder to board, lights, maybe motion detectors, lock up the boat if possible, don't underestimate the value of a little yippy dog. If you can keep them out of your living space, your far better off, if confronted down below, they may feel trapped, and you want to give them an escape route if possible.
Have to think even if the crook isn't hyped up on some drug, they are most likely high as hell on Adrenalin, that is exactly why Combat can be so addictive, crime may be their form of an Adrenalin high.
Pilot,
Speaking for myself and my close friends, I believe that people who have been tested in adversity tend to repeat similar responses irrespective of the situation/environment. Whether it's combat, home/boat invasion, or a fist fight, some people are predictable. Growing up in Chicago, it was common for young boys to be tested. I remember once, I was with a couple buddies in the wrong neighborhood and got jumped by the neighborhood gang. My one friend from the football team was 6'3" and 200 lbs. My other buddy, 5'4" and 140 lbs, was not an athlete and would be considered by most--shy. When things got tough, the big guy ran for his life while little George, stood firm with me and fought like a wolverine. I have never forgotten this episode in my life and it has shaped much of what I believe about people. The moral of the story? You'll never know how you'll react unless you've been tested in your past. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
One friend had a Rottweiler that was very welcoming to everyone who arrived - just would not let them leave. Not sure if that would help on a boat.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
That could be a problem, especially if your guests like your brand of beer!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Pilot,
Speaking for myself and my close friends, I believe that people who have been tested in adversity tend to repeat similar responses irrespective of the situation/environment. Whether it's combat, home/boat invasion, or a fist fight, some people are predictable. Growing up in Chicago, it was common for young boys to be tested. I remember once, I was with a couple buddies in the wrong neighborhood and got jumped by the neighborhood gang. My one friend from the football team was 6'3" and 200 lbs. My other buddy, 5'4" and 140 lbs, was not an athlete and would be considered by most--shy. When things got tough, the big guy ran for his life while little George, stood firm with me and fought like a wolverine. I have never forgotten this episode in my life and it has shaped much of what I believe about people. The moral of the story? You'll never know how you'll react unless you've been tested in your past. Good luck and safe sailing.
I also believe that to be true, you don't know what a person is made of until they're actually tested. In sub school, we go through a damage control trainer to make sure everyone follows procedures and doesn't freak out, but in the back of everyone's mind, we all know that if things get too hairy, they'll stop the flooding and drain the water out of the room and start over.

We did have an extreme casualty on my first sub (loss of all power with a reactor scram and the DC bus breakers opened with no propulsion and losing depth) and I witnessed 3 different reactions: most of us went into damage control mode and worked on the problems, a few guys dropped to their knees and just started praying, and a few just froze up. We made it, but just barely. The Capt. later announced in port that anyone who wanted off the boat or out of sub service could leave with no repercussions. I think only one guy left, the rest of us were pretty reassured that no matter what was thrown at us, we could handle it.

We were in Guam once for provisions and to contribute to the financial well being of the local single mothers when 3 shipmates were attacked at teh side of the road by 8 large Guamanians with pipes and bats. 2 of our crew were big burly torpedomen. The other guy was about 5'11", 150 lbs of the quietest guy you ever met.

The Guamanians attacked from behind, taking out the 2 big torpedomen almost instantly with blows to the head. The quiet guy spun around, remembered his childhood martial arts training and promptly put 5 out of the 8 large Guamanians in the hospital, while barely getting a scratch on him. The other 3 fled.

We were all shocked! We all thought the 2 big guys were among the toughest on the boat (in a fair fight they probably were very tough) but nothing could match the speed and reflexes of the quietest guy we'd ever met. About all we knew about him was his first and last name, and he was the nicest guy to talk to. After the incident, he was extremely embarrassed at all of the attention he was getting.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:52   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
We were in Guam once for provisions and to contribute to the financial well being of the local single mothers
Oh man that cracks me up. I've never heard it put so smoothly
Old 04-02-2016, 09:53   #51

To be honest, my attitude about guns onboard has changed since I became a member here. I'm still an avid gun owner and 2A supporter, but I have no desire to shoot someone where I'm the foreigner in their country. It's not worth the jail time.

I do believe my property rights supercede their value to society and thus they should be terminated, but it's not my job to do it, unfortunately. I'm capable enough to rig up a cheap trip wire tied to a bell in my cabin, or make it too difficult to enter.

It would be very unfortunate if I woke up the next morning to discover some poor drunk had bumped his head, fell in the water and drowned while trying to climb onto my boat out of a stolen dinghy.

Are there a lot of sharks and barracuda in that area?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Oh man that cracks me up. I've never heard it put so smoothly
Thanks! I try not to offend!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:37   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

You don't need guns.

You don't need to be macho.

Just shut the f'ing door.

Is it that hard?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:02   #54

Then they'll come through a hatch.
Old 04-02-2016, 13:33   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Then they'll come through a hatch.
Well I think it goes without saying that if one closes the "door" (thank you Mark) for security then the hatch (Hey Mark, what do you call a hatch? It's not a window.) would be closed as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:35   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.

“... The deplorable inhumane conditions coupled with the everyday victimization of inmates at Her Majesty’s Prison, Fox Hill Bahamas are the worst in the world...
... At Her Majesty’s Prison, inmates are deprived of all humane living facilities. Remanded and sentenced inmates consume food that is unfit for animals – slopped oatmeal or bologna cooked in tomato paste or ketchup and served with grits or bread act as breakfast while lunch constitutes high blood pressure and diabetes served in a bowl with dinner being a piece of bread with cheese and tea and on all occasions served in one’s hand and not on a plate. Of course there is commissary which sells noodles however, hot water is something that an inmate must purchase from another inmate in the kitchen, known as the Trustee. There is no warm or hot water for bathing at any time and water for usage must be stored in filthy barrels...”

https://drdmqjohnson.wordpress.com/2...-hill-bahamas/
Met a guy in S Florida back in the late seventies that had been busted in the Bahamas (you might guess what for) who spent a few weeks in Fox Hill. He didn't have much nice to say about the place.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:43   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Robbed in Nassau

Just hang a few of these around..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolls3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	118309   Click image for larger version

Name:	voodoo-dolls.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	118310  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Thats because they want you to have to eat with the same hand that you wipe with. See killing them is more humane than having to eat with a poopy hand. In actuality he would be doing him a faovr by killing him
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah.. they'll just buy a spoon..
buy? no, me thinks he shall just steal a spoon.......
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:03   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
What is a LEO please?
Mercan with gun roaring like a lion?
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:32   #60
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
the hatch (Hey Mark, what do you call a hatch? It's not a window.) would be closed as well.
The holes in the deck? They all have lids on them that lock shut in 2 positions: fully locked; open a few millimeters.

Look at your hole lids and you will see the locking devices.
Also Lewmar make a hatch bar. I think its to stop elephants falling down the holes.

And they can be key locked at either locking position:

http://www.lewmar.com/node/14555

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, nassau