Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 11:24   #1

Rio Dulce to Belize

My family is moving to Rio Dulce, Guatemala. we intend to hang out there to give our 12 year old an experience of central America. to say the least that we want to leave America for a while. we will be be buying a small sail boat and sailing to and from Rio Dulce and Belize. My Husband is a shipwright and HVAC engineer, he will be working there, I am an American Airline flight attendant.
Our home schooled child is already half Farrel, so she should do well in the Guatemala jungles. My tangent is the following, we are seeking to share information about sailing, customs,immigrations and travel to and from Belize to Rio Dulce, Guatemala. I will start a journal of said subject matter herein or a website. as this family has had a hard time in America,we intend to live it up and explore. hope to hear from some you soon.
Toni_million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:17   #2

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Rio Dulce to Belize

Sounds like a great plan!
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:42   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Welcome to the neighborhood. I live on the Rio (since 2006), used to live in Belize and still spend some time there. Happy to answer any questions you have.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rio Dulce to Belize

Hi Toni... Welcome to CF.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 13:29   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Adding another welcome, Toni.

I suspect you've come across this very helpful website, but in case not...

riodulcechisme.com - Home
Old 21-12-2013, 16:52   #6

Hi Belizesailor, I am in London on layover till next flight. my husband would love to chat with you. I texted a Skype to him concerning this link. you can email him at engineering@techemail.com. or if you would please post your email so he can email you. we are seeking a sailboat under $26,000 for live-a-board there in Rio Dulce.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:54   #7

As posted, Rio Dulce Chisme will give you a good online view into the gringo cruiser community here. Boats are listed for sale there and on the site below.

http://www.guatemalariodulce.com/

Saw a few options listed that might work for you. You also might consider renting a place before you comit to a boat. Rents are generally inexpensive on the Rio and most of Guatemala. No capital at risk, no boat to maintain, and no big deal if you change your mind.!

I will PM and/or email you my address. Also happy to discuss any questions here for the benefit of others.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:07   #8

Curious too how you chose the Rio?
Old 22-12-2013, 13:11   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Adding another welcome, Toni.

I suspect you've come across this very helpful website, but in case not...

riodulcechisme.com - Home

The Forum on that website will get you lots of information and get some of your questions answered, Rio Dulce Chisme Forum . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 14:05   #10

Toni here. i am back in Miami, someone asked how we chose Rio. Well we tried Colombia. bad choice. then we moved to Panama for A year, you think you have have crime in Rio, spend a year in Panama. my Husband, thank God he is ex-military, we have had a hard time there. then we realized we where not getting any closer to having a boat. My husband is an engineer, and working in Panama is illegal for tourist, hiring locals has proving to be a thieving way of life, no matter how good you treat them. they will kill you in your sleep. not wise to climb the fence with my husband on the prow in his underwear and Katana sword. now Sage may like this crap. But i am the Boss and we are out of here, A pilot of whom has sailed to Rio many times told me to move there before Sage gets in trouble. his brother has worked there as an engineer, that said! I started to research and found a couple of boats there that fall within my price range, some resent contacts have given us info we have waited for such a long time here in central America. I have no intent to let my child become Americanized, drugged and turn stupid toward the ways of the world.I didn't pay all that money to M.I.T. And all those engineering schools to have my husband stalking the land with a Katana sword trying to catch Meth heads trying to steal a rake and shovel. Curious too how you chose the Rio? you ask? now I get an email from this forum telling me to remove my husbands email IP. so! How do I edit my post and remove all? feel free to use the illegally posted email engineering@techemail.com
otherwise I have found a forum that allows sailors to post emails,cell numbers, OH and even share info without going through Panamanian customs
Old 26-12-2013, 06:55   #11

Toni here, Ok! so I get mean once a month. try flying Miami to London with three hours sleep and return with only a nap here and there, then turn around and do that again and again, for 24 years. looking forward to setting on the deck, watching sage hunt down pirates and thief's, with all his little electronic toys. all joking aside, I haven't met the boat broker yet, but the worst half says he has been very helpful in not only looking for a boat. but help with hunting a place to stay and storage for the engineering tools. I guess I cant plug his site or his name Can I? otherwise we can wait 30 days and I will do it anyway.

Tags
Belize