Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 17:49   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Rimas Giving Up in Samoa. Article link

I don't give any voyeur credits other people are giving him. He's a horrible sailor; a horrible student; a horrible boatsmith; a braggart; downright lazy, and has performed some really really stupid things, some sucking in other people who enable him. I don't believe in luck either. And I don't believe he deserves to be out there. He may be nice, but nice doesn't balance being an idiot. There are plenty of nice mentally ill people.

What I do give him credit for though is for sticking it out. Turning down being rescued from HW to SF for example and then taking forever to get here. Aborting his first attempt to get in to SF that first night and waiting it out till the next day (he totally miscalculated his route). And sailing under the bridge on his own was pretty cool.

If he was worth a damn, he would throw away those silly goals and just go sailing, and work his way from place to place enjoying what comes next in life without any agenda, meeting people, helping them, with some personal responsibility instead of entitlement.

btw: anyone who help him should consider that their enabling is directly responsible for his demise. Possibly legal.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 21:36   #17

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Re: Rimas Giving Up in Samoa. Article link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
He does have a lot of miles. He also has amazing luck.
Having much experience singlehanding at sea, coastally and in inland (river) waters I think (know) that singlehanding at sea is MUCH easier than singlhanding within an hour of a shore. For instance, to get a license from the USCG you are required to have a certain number of days on a boat as crew or skipper. Those Coasties that know will give a day value for each day one skippers from a dock and returns to a dock because they know that entering a marina and docking is the most difficult usual maneuver that any skipper routinely does. And the second place goes to leaving a marina. 24 hours at sea is easy..
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Samoa