Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2014, 07:52   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillw View Post
Interesting details in that review - it mentions on the handle a tilt button (which assumes electric tilt control) and an LCD screen next to the "start key" that gives tach and other information (although they were discussing the manual start model).

Ours is only 6 months old, but does not have those features. Perhaps there are different or newer models? There is no date on the review.

BTW, I will say this about that engine - the fuel consumption, or rather lack of such, is amazing. This 20hp uses less fuel than our old Honda 15hp. From experience with the Yamaha Enduro 15hp, this 20hp has half the fuel consumption of that engine (the Honda was about a third more efficient than the Enduro). I assume this is because the computer and fuel injection can precisely meter the fuel in each cylinder continually at all throttle levels.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:12   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Another FWIW...

I've been getting ready to launch our dinghy for the season, with the new Suzuki DF15A EFI outboard... which I've not yet even attempted to start... so I've been paying attention to adding oil, etc. During the course of all that, I'm surprised to notice how large the onboard "low pressure fuel filter" is... and slightly even more surprised to discover the motor was shipped with that filter approx. 2/3rd full of gas.

Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.

-Chris
Just started my 4 stroke Honda pressure washer 2 days ago . Last use was almost exactly one year ago. started very first pull after sitting all that time with the same gas in it. Used it four hours with no issues.
Ditto for the 2 stroke chainsaw and weed wacker. Old gas? No problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:29   #78

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.
Depends how much water is in it. If you're seeing phase separation in 3 weeks, you seriously need to find a better place to buy gas.
Old 20-05-2014, 13:42   #79

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Interesting details in that review - it mentions on the handle a tilt button (which assumes electric tilt control) and an LCD screen next to the "start key" that gives tach and other information (although they were discussing the manual start model).

Ours is only 6 months old, but does not have those features. Perhaps there are different or newer models? There is no date on the review.

Yeah, we don't have that either, and ours arrived about 2 months ago. A warning lamp, electric start button, that's about it.

-Chris
Old 20-05-2014, 13:44   #80

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Another FWIW...

I've been getting ready to launch our dinghy for the season, with the new Suzuki DF15A EFI outboard... which I've not yet even attempted to start... so I've been paying attention to adding oil, etc. During the course of all that, I'm surprised to notice how large the onboard "low pressure fuel filter" is... and slightly even more surprised to discover the motor was shipped with that filter approx. 2/3rd full of gas.

-Chris
Apparently turned out to be a non-problem, at least for now. The new motor started right up, second pull (don't have a starting battery for it yet).

-Chris
Old 20-05-2014, 14:04   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Supposedly being that the fuel system is sealed as in no exposure to air, keeping fuel in it for extended times isn't supposed to cause a problem.
Time will tell

Tags
outboard, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: