Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 07:52   #76
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillw View Post
Interesting details in that review - it mentions on the handle a tilt button (which assumes electric tilt control) and an LCD screen next to the "start key" that gives tach and other information (although they were discussing the manual start model).

Ours is only 6 months old, but does not have those features. Perhaps there are different or newer models? There is no date on the review.

BTW, I will say this about that engine - the fuel consumption, or rather lack of such, is amazing. This 20hp uses less fuel than our old Honda 15hp. From experience with the Yamaha Enduro 15hp, this 20hp has half the fuel consumption of that engine (the Honda was about a third more efficient than the Enduro). I assume this is because the computer and fuel injection can precisely meter the fuel in each cylinder continually at all throttle levels.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:12   #77
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,334
Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Another FWIW...

I've been getting ready to launch our dinghy for the season, with the new Suzuki DF15A EFI outboard... which I've not yet even attempted to start... so I've been paying attention to adding oil, etc. During the course of all that, I'm surprised to notice how large the onboard "low pressure fuel filter" is... and slightly even more surprised to discover the motor was shipped with that filter approx. 2/3rd full of gas.

Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.

-Chris
Just started my 4 stroke Honda pressure washer 2 days ago . Last use was almost exactly one year ago. started very first pull after sitting all that time with the same gas in it. Used it four hours with no issues.
Ditto for the 2 stroke chainsaw and weed wacker. Old gas? No problem.
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:29   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Boat: Aries 32
Posts: 245
Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.
Depends how much water is in it. If you're seeing phase separation in 3 weeks, you seriously need to find a better place to buy gas.
__________________
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 13:42   #79
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,981
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Interesting details in that review - it mentions on the handle a tilt button (which assumes electric tilt control) and an LCD screen next to the "start key" that gives tach and other information (although they were discussing the manual start model).

Ours is only 6 months old, but does not have those features. Perhaps there are different or newer models? There is no date on the review.

Yeah, we don't have that either, and ours arrived about 2 months ago. A warning lamp, electric start button, that's about it.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 13:44   #80
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,981
Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Another FWIW...

I've been getting ready to launch our dinghy for the season, with the new Suzuki DF15A EFI outboard... which I've not yet even attempted to start... so I've been paying attention to adding oil, etc. During the course of all that, I'm surprised to notice how large the onboard "low pressure fuel filter" is... and slightly even more surprised to discover the motor was shipped with that filter approx. 2/3rd full of gas.

Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.

-Chris
Apparently turned out to be a non-problem, at least for now. The new motor started right up, second pull (don't have a starting battery for it yet).

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 14:04   #81
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,029
Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Supposedly being that the fuel system is sealed as in no exposure to air, keeping fuel in it for extended times isn't supposed to cause a problem.
Time will tell
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outboard, rib

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale or Trade: 2010 Mercury 280 RIB Dinghy and Yamaha 8HP Outboard Rocketman Classifieds Archive 6 24-02-2014 11:11
Mercury 310 PVC RIB vs. Westmarine 310 RIB elleandi355 Liveaboard's Forum 0 12-01-2012 20:29
Small RIB vs larger non-RIB skipmac Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 39 07-03-2011 19:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.