Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2014, 17:45   #61

Boat: Building a Schionning Wilderness 44ft
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Aussie review of the new Suzuki's.

NEW SUZUKI 15A/20AHP OUTBOARDS...AND SOME :: NAFA - National Australian Fishing Annual

Old 16-05-2014, 17:57   #62

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
If not living on boat and OB is mothballed and stored in lazarette... Just thinking....This could be a factor on deciding?
At least SOME (all?) 4-strokes puke oil if not stored JUST RIGHT, so you might well have to drain the oil before stuffing it in you laz. I have no idea if an oil-less 4-stroke would be more or less likely to corrode than a 2-stroke run out of fuel.

Old 16-05-2014, 18:38   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have to lay them on their correct side to keep the oil from running out.
Old 16-05-2014, 18:52   #64
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You have to lay them on their correct side to keep the oil from running out.
Where does it go?
Old 16-05-2014, 19:05   #65

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Where does it go?
Otherwise? Out.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 19:14   #66

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Where does it go?
EVERYWHERE!!
Old 17-05-2014, 06:42   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Where does it go?

Haven't verified this, but I assume out the crankcase vent, only required opening I know of in the crankcase.
If it were much of a problem it wouldn't be hard to put a "roll over" valve in the vent.
The few motors I have experience with, the correct side to lay them on is placarded on the motor itself.
Old 17-05-2014, 07:20   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

Yes reliability and ease of repairs are the main reason I stick with two strokes. A cruiser in Georgetown last month bought another outboard (used 2 stroke) off another cruiser because his 4 stroke Yamaha was having problems being repaired. There is a Yamaha dealer in GT and they ended up telling him he needed a new carburetor! And they didn't have one in stock or readily available. Also the new carb was their last guess at what was required.

A similar thing happened to me in Georgetown. Basically unless you are willing to wait weeks and perhaps months you cannot get a small 4 stroke repaired in Georgetown. I was informed that there are no yamaha parts available in the Bahamas for four stroke engines under 60 hp. You have to order them from the states. I tried virtually every dealer on the internet that claimed to sell Yamaha parts. The best the could do was ship in 4 to 7 business days. Then they have to go through customs in Nassau which may take up to 5 weeks and involve what amounts to robbery by Customs officials. I had a friend that ordered a $97 service kit for his Yamaha and was charged $500 in duty. Eventually Customs admitted that he had been improperly charged and told him he could get a refund. All he had to do was go to the main customs office at Government house in Nassau and fill out the proper forms. Of course he was in Georgetown attempting to go further south, not north. Right now I have a useless 15 hp 4 stroke Yamaha lashed to my deck because I could not wait in Georgetown 5 or 6 weeks for a new carb or even a carb rebuilding kit. Everyone I know with Yamaha's has terrible times with their carbs, even if they avoid Ethanol gas. People say buy a Yamaha, you can get parts anywhere. Yeah Right!

The solution to the problem of Yamaha four stroke parts in the Bahamas is to buy a Yamaha two stroke from a Bahamian dealer. These are not the Enduro models, but their higher end 2 stroke. I was told although these motors cannot be sold in the states you can get parts for them in the states. You cannot get parts in the states for the Enduros.

I have since learned that you can bypass Nassau Customs by getting your parts delivered to Watermakers Air in Ft. Lauderdale and have them flown into Staniel Cay. Then you only have to deal with Customs at Staniel and from what I'm told they are easy to work with. The only issue is that you have to be at Staniel.
Old 17-05-2014, 08:25   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Racor makes a very small one. It is also sold by Honda and Yamaha (and probably many others) under their own names. I don't know the model number, but here is a picture I found on google.

I remember that the prices for these vary from ridiculous to just expensive depending who you bought it from. Google around starting at Defender to get the model #.

Mark
That is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Defender has it, though it shows up under a search for Fuel filter and does not under water seperator which is apparently why I had not found it before. It's for a honda, but what will my Yamaha know. Thanks, I'll pick one up when I the back to the states next month.

Thanks
Old 18-05-2014, 05:51   #70

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

Basically unless you are willing to wait weeks and perhaps months you cannot get a small 4 stroke repaired in Georgetown. I was informed that there are no yamaha parts available in the Bahamas for four stroke engines under 60 hp. You have to order them from the states. I tried virtually every dealer on the internet that claimed to sell Yamaha parts. The best the could do was ship in 4 to 7 business days. Then they have to go through customs in Nassau which may take up to 5 weeks and involve what amounts to robbery by Customs officials.

Long time ago, when I did a "market survey" of sorts about small outboards, I ended up moving toward the same conclusion. Everybody in the world (so to speak) pointed out how Yamaha's service and parts network was the best... but always slightly obscured under all the reporting was that folks were almost always talking about 2-stoke motors.

That's not a bad thing, but I was after a motor I could buy here, use here mostly (99%?), and that has the advantages of a 4-stroke... In the meantime, I bought a trailer to use for winter dinghy storage, now don't have to dismount/mount the motor, so weight became even less of an issue...

And then Suzuki shaved off another 10-lbs or so from their 15/20-hp outboards... and also did the EFI thing (versus carburetor)...

So I went that direction. Maybe not a universal solution, especially for folks who aren't in the US... but I'm hoping it works for us. There's a parts/service guy not too far away, too.

-Chris
Old 18-05-2014, 08:43   #71

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A similar thing happened to me in Georgetown. Basically unless you are willing to wait weeks and perhaps months you cannot get a small 4 stroke repaired in Georgetown. I was informed that there are no yamaha parts available in the Bahamas for four stroke engines under 60 hp.
Sounds like a business opportunity for some enterprising Bahamanian.
Old 18-05-2014, 18:27   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity for some enterprising Bahamanian.
I think they already figured out that they can make more money by selling you a new motor and it's not nearly as difficult as diagnosing and getting parts for the existing motor.
Old 19-05-2014, 16:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Racor makes a very small one. It is also sold by Honda and Yamaha (and probably many others) under their own names. I don't know the model number, but here is a picture I found on google.

I remember that the prices for these vary from ridiculous to just expensive depending who you bought it from. Google around starting at Defender to get the model #.

Mark

FWIW, looks like Racor #025-RAC-02. It uses a 10 micron filter element.

There are several in the series, this number being the only one that separates water (per Racor, here: Parker - GASOLINE IN-LINE FILTERS (MARINE))

-Chris
Old 19-05-2014, 16:40   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Was not referring to any of the older models but the latest Evinrude ETecs which appear very reliable, neet enviro specs and compare well with the 4strokes certainly in the larger motors.
I don't know about the small ones, but the new Hi HP Etec's we installed on new boats 7+ years ago experienced a 20% powerhead failure. It got so bad we stopped selling them to our customers and went to Suzukis. Complete piston meltdowns on the Etecs. You just cant sell a customer a brand new boat and the first or second time he uses it... it leaves him on the water somewhere. One customer with twin 250HP ones had them both fail on the same trip!

I think Sierra makes a small-ish spin on fuel filter with a see thru bottom piece quite reasonable. I had one of those in my RIB. It was a bit oversized for 15hp but reasonably priced... and had lots of capacity that way. I think I changed it once in 3 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:36   #75

Re: RIB and Outboard Advice

Another FWIW...

I've been getting ready to launch our dinghy for the season, with the new Suzuki DF15A EFI outboard... which I've not yet even attempted to start... so I've been paying attention to adding oil, etc. During the course of all that, I'm surprised to notice how large the onboard "low pressure fuel filter" is... and slightly even more surprised to discover the motor was shipped with that filter approx. 2/3rd full of gas.

Given my experience with E10 gas, I'm wondering how quickly remaining gas in this onboard filter will (phase) separate... presumably no slower than gas in an external tank... and I've been having to recycle that after about 3 weeks if I don't use it by then, even with a stabilizer added.

-Chris

Tags
outboard, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: