Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 03:15   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: RIB and outboard advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
As I stated, hp used to be measured differently than it is now (direct off the crankshaft, or something like that). However, under each measurement system, all engines were treated identically. If one were to buy an 8hp 2-stroke and an 8hp 4-stroke today (and even back then), the horsepower of each are identical. The torque may be different, but that is usually compensated for with gearing, rpm and prop choice.

Yes, if one was to compare a 1969 6hp 2-stroke with a 2014 6hp 4-stroke, then they may not be comparable - which way they would differ, I don't know.

But horses have always been horses between contemporaries.

Mark
As you stated? That's what I stated. Anyway, it wasn't changed until the '80's. Now they don't even sell 2 strokes new anymore here.

Whatever, the point is it's been my experience that the new 4 strokes are much more efficient, stronger, and 10X cleaner running than a comparable 2 stroke. I have had zero problems with the 10% fuel, and my 5hp four stroke is pushing quite a load with the Bristol 27 Sailboat it's mounted on.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 03:19   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Chosen View Post
We need to replace our RIB and are in Puerto Rico en route to Grenada. Am currently looking at a Caribe LHT and a Nissan 18 two stroke, but we have been offered a Walker Bay which is less cash. Weight and cost are an issue but we don't know the WB product and have some reservations about the 2 vs 4 stroke. My preferred engine is the Yamaha but availability is an issue. We are planning on buying the package in St Thomas but would appreciate any advice from someone who has done this recently.

Thanks

We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310 FTD, hypalon version, and we like it. The internal "floor" helps, storage is useful, and we even added a second seat for more storage. Have only had it for about 3 years now, so can't yet say how it'll hold up in the long run.

This is NOT the hard dink WB makes; can't comment on that one.

Lots of factoids on the WB website.

-Chris
Old 15-05-2014, 04:12   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As you stated? That's what I stated. Anyway, it wasn't changed until the '80's. Now they don't even sell 2 strokes new anymore here.

Whatever, the point is it's been my experience that the new 4 strokes are much more efficient, stronger, and 10X cleaner running than a comparable 2 stroke. I have had zero problems with the 10% fuel, and my 5hp four stroke is pushing quite a load with the Bristol 27 Sailboat it's mounted on.
What!. No Evinrude's available in your area?
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 04:51   #34

If you're sailing in the Med/Mexico/Caribbean then buy any engine including 4strokes but if your a voyager and visit areas off the beaten path then get a Yammi 2stroke.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 05:10   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I may have read it and considered it of no importance.

4-strokes are heavier than 2-strokes.
Strange reasoning. Yes, I posted they were heavier - an 8lb difference between a 15hp 2-stroke and a 20hp 4-stroke, and a 4lb difference between a 18hp 2-stroke and a 20hp 4-stroke (but notice in both cases the heavier one has more power).

So between 4-8lbs difference. Whether that is a "noticeable amount" on a 90lb outboard is relative.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 06:37   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess I got ignored,
but per HP, the four stroke Suzuki is lighter than the 15 HP Yamaha Enduro. Realize we are comparing a 20 hp to 15 hp here. The Suzuki is a more powerful engine.

Jim has a valid point about reliability, and back in the 70's when electronics were making their introduction in cars I bought into it's the end of the backyard mechanic scenario, but you know what, just the opposite happened. Automobiles have never been more powerful, more efficient and more reliable or more maintainable than they are now, and electronics has a lot to do with that, although I will add efficient design and manufacturing also has a lot to do with it.

My current dirt bike is a 2008 Husqvarna TE-450. It's a four stroke, fuel injected. It's far more powerful and much better mannered than an older two stroke, and you know what? It has the original spark plug in it. This is a high strung, race bike. I've sucked mud through the engine and ended up having to dis-assemble it to free up the compression ring that was stuck, but no damage was done to the engine or the electronics. I've done similar to older two strokes in the days gone past. Difference is, I rode the Husky to work this morning.

Like it or not, but it's the 21st century now, and electronics are here to stay, and are pretty reliable. Most of us rely on our radios, chart plotters, depth finders etc.
But your right, without a track record anything new is suspect, unproven.
Used to have a saying in the Military. "never fly the A model of anything"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 07:06   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
What!. No Evinrude's available in your area?
I had several Evinrude 2 strokes. They are pretty good if you change out or clean the fouled spare plugs often like any 2 stroke..............

But my first 4 stroke was much better and over 2X more fuel efficient. That motor was a 1960's version homeline 55hp 4 stroke.

Big Daddy Scott Stewart
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But your right, without a track record anything new is suspect, unproven.
Used to have a saying in the Military. "never fly the A model of anything"
Fuel injection on outboards is not new - been doing it for decades now.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-05-2014, 10:20   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Fuel injection on outboards is not new - been doing it for decades now.

Mark
Yes, but
This one is a little different. It has no battery. I found it sort of fascinating that no electrical current exists until you pull the starter cord, once pulled electricity is generated, the fuel injection computer boots up and injection occurs, all in a split second, rarely do I have to pull twice.
I assume the injection pump is mechanical? pretty slick trick to build fuel pressure, boot the computer and fire the injector all in like one revolution of the crankshaft. Plus this thing tracks oil change intervals and will display fault codes via the LED etc. Pretty sophisticated for a little outboard, but this is the 21st century, this thing isn't 1950's technology
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 11:00   #40

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
If you have the non-Enduro Y15, then you have one of the best small outboards ever made. Yes, it is much lighter than the Enduro versions (but I think it is 76lbs ), and uses different parts in many places - they are not the same engine.

Unfortunately, you need to go to Australia or the Asian regions to get one. Even in the Caribe, Central and South America, it is all Enduro.

Mark
Non Enduro 15 hp Yamaha 2 strokes readily available in the Bahamas. Smart newbies from the US and Canada buy a small outboard at home as a stop gap and get a good 15 hp Yamaha when they get to the Bahamas.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:37   #41

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
BTW, I'm convinced that water in fuel is the biggest problem with all engines. Even when you think it is ethanol-related. Since installing a small fuel filter/water separator on ours, we have experienced zero fuel issues, and I have had to empty water out of the separator many, many times.

Of course, we are not getting our fuel from corner gas stations out here, but I still think a lot of water finds its way into good fuel also.

Mark
A "small" fuel/water seperator is what I have been looking for. The spare space on the transom of my dink is not what I would describe as a lot. So how small is small? I have seen replacement filters that look like the might go in a unit perhaps 3 inches high and 1.5 inches in diameter, but I can't find the unit or a brand. If you have one of these small units as opposed to one about 4 inches in diameter and about five or six inches tall could enlighten me on the brand and where you obtained it?

Thanks

Bill
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 11:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Non Enduro 15 hp Yamaha 2 strokes readily available in the Bahamas. Smart newbies from the US and Canada buy a small outboard at home as a stop gap and get a good 15 hp Yamaha when they get to the Bahamas.
Is that right? My friends who have bought there have all gotten Enduros. If the non-Enduro version is available, that is a very sweet motor and the lightest in its class.

Mark

Old 15-05-2014, 12:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A "small" fuel/water seperator is what I have been looking for. The spare space on the transom of my dink is not what I would describe as a lot. So how small is small? I have seen replacement filters that look like the might go in a unit perhaps 3 inches high and 1.5 inches in diameter, but I can't find the unit or a brand. If you have one of these small units as opposed to one about 4 inches in diameter and about five or six inches tall could enlighten me on the brand and where you obtained it?

Thanks

Bill
Racor makes a very small one. It is also sold by Honda and Yamaha (and probably many others) under their own names. I don't know the model number, but here is a picture I found on google.

I remember that the prices for these vary from ridiculous to just expensive depending who you bought it from. Google around starting at Defender to get the model #.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelfilter.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	81326  

Old 15-05-2014, 13:42   #44

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Is that right? My friends who have bought there have all gotten Enduros. If the non-Enduro version is available, that is a very sweet motor and the lightest in its class.

Mark
Yes I bought my third one there two years ago and a buddy just got one a few months ago. $2150 to $2300. In GT they're $2300 but you get good service, your old one taken off and the new one installed and after ten hours a change of the bottom lube and everything checked over. In Nassau for $2150 and it comes in a box. You have to lug it to your boat.
Old 15-05-2014, 14:38   #45

Earlier, price was brought up. That Bahamas Yamaha 15hp price is the same as in the US for the Suzuki 15hp 4-stroke.

Mark

Tags
outboard, rib