Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 16:16   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Returning sailor

G'Day Tech,

Our situation is only partly analogous to yours, for we've been cruising outside the states for thirty years now, moving about rather than settling and working in one country as you have done. But none the less, we've not been a part of mainstream American society for a long while. We've had a few visits "home" during that time, three of them for several months duration and involving medical issues.

And we've experienced much the same as Dave (Maxing out) describes: we do not share many ideas and practices with folks back there, and do not particularly enjoy our time "in country". It is great for us to see and spend time with our children and grandchildren, but we have so little in common with them that meaningful communications are difficult... no matter how much we love them. And even life-long friends find us hard to understand and relate to, a loss that is a sad and unexpected one for us... a sad but real price we've paid for our cruising life style, and one not often discussed in the glossy sailing mags!

I think that your approach to repatriation is sound, for it will give you the flexibility to back off when culture shock gets to be a problem for you (and I suspect it will, at times). And immersing yourself in the cruising community will give you contacts with other folks who are not bona fide members of the mainstream and I think this will be a help to you.

My guess is that the nuts and bolts of repatriation will be a PITA, but one that will respond to some diligent effort on your part. Finding a niche where you can be yourself and still fit into the flow of life stateside... that will be the hard task.

I wish you well, and hope that you will post about how it goes for you when you do return... we may well have to do so in the future.

Jim
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15   #17

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Hi Jim,
Thank you for the good feedback in your post. FYI, I've spent over half of my life outside of the US sailing to points all around the world. However, that was with the US Navy for 20-years and I was always surrounded by everything American while traveling onboard Naval Ships (shipmates, food, movies, military lifestyle, etc.). Although no real comparison to the type of cruising that you and others do, it did ingrain in me quite a bit about living in confined quarters, being minimalist, and interacting with people who don't, or can't relate to someone (visiting foreign countries, living abroad while assigned somewhere as examples), among other things.

My few good friends back there are all men that I served in the Navy with years and years ago and we are in touch on Facebook and e-mails. But you and Dave have both stated, there won't be much in common after all these years and the differences in lifestyles, and I have also experienced this during my past "forays" back to the States.

An you are absolutely correct in that going live aboard will give me the flexibility that I know I will need in order escape when I need a break and also to figure out where to go from "here" once I repatriate. A friend's experience in repatriating really brought this home to me first-hand recently (Lived here in Egypt for 9 years and returned to England, breakdown after 2 months, therapy for another 2, and then came back to Egypt and is now my roommate.....still a bit fragile at the moment and swears never to return to Engand. Sad, really).

And yes, you are also spot on when you say that the nuts and bolts of repatriation will be a PITA. There is no doubt of that. My way of addressing most of those nuts and bolts will be to remember that although I may want a car and driver's license, for example, do I have to have it today? Prioritizing what is necessary and what is not is key IMHO.

Won't be repatriating to the States for a few months or maybe not until next spring as I don't think I would enjoy moving aboard a pocket cruiser in the middle of winter which isn't outfitted properly for my needs. Especially after living through Egyptian winters all these years (we do have winters here....occasionally one doesn't need sunblock! ).

Again, thanks for the good feedback and good luck to you as well Sir!
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I was away from sail boats for 40 years (job on top of a mountain). I was amazed at the changes- roller reefing, self-tailing winches, no light houses, 40 foot boats equipped to be single-handed, vastly more interior space, and far, far more electronics. You're buying an older boat, which will soften the blow. My biggest questions for you are whether that alcohol stove might be replaced - they have a very bad reputation, and whether a fixed mount mapping GPS might be on your list. VHF radios now can transmit MMSI information, and if you are planning to be out after dark in the southern Chesapeake, radar and/or AIS are worthy of consideration. What sort of motor assist will you have?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:02   #19

tkeithlu,
Yes, am seriously considering replacing the alcohol stove, however, not immediately. I have used alcohol stoves in my desert forays here in Egypt and prefer not to use them when good firewood or "Buta-gas" (our version of propane) is available. Still awaiting the survey results before over-prioritizing what needs to be done without actually having been on the boat. It will most likely be replaced with a propane stove at some point and later incorporated into a heating system of some sort....but all of that is armchair planning (and some dreaming) at this point.

Your point about GPS, VHF, Radar, and AIS are well taken. I have sailed the lower Ches years ago and can see the need for everything you have mentioned in your post. FYI, in case you haven't read my earlier posts, I work in the yacht building/repair industry here in Egypt. I am currently finalizing the installation of a complete Raymarine Nav Suite on a German built antique yacht. Means I get to actually play with the toys and decide what I would like for my own (and get paid for it too! ).

The laptop that I'm typing this from also serves as a chartplotter with DGPS interface and is capable of MARPA as well. The software is transferable between laptops should this one die. Charts are a bit outdated (2010), but should suffice for the time being, so I am halfway there on the items which you have mentioned. Radar would be a great thing and may come later. I plan to start with an autopilot system first (wheel pilot). VHF that transmits MMSI? It is my understanding that one doesn't acquire an MMSI number unless one has an IMO number (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, and I may very well be). And AIS? A future possibility as well but is something that I would consider a want more than a need at this point.

Thanks for the input! Properly stowed away for future reference.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47   #20

tkeithlu,
Forgot to address your question about motor assist. The vessel has a 1GM Yanmar with 600 hours on it which has been well maintianed (I have the maintenance receipts from the owner and have contacted the maintenance company and verified that indeed, said maintenance was done.

Just saw your post on another thread about laptops serving as chartplotters vs. dedicated marine systems. I agree with you that in an open cockpit a laptop wouldn't survive very long. Kept below, out of harm's way, a laptop will get the job done. No real need for a chartplotter in an open cockpit anyway unless one must look at it every minute or so to confirm that they are anally following a straight line on the plotter unless they are in tight quarters, that's a different situation altogether.

I think that it more has to do with what one can afford. If it works for someone sailing on a calm lake somewhere, it works for them. If it works for someone sailing in a storm, then it works for them.
Old 07-06-2016, 15:06   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A modern VHF that will transmit MMSI to the Coast guard is $99. The number is free, BoatUS does it if you are staying in the US. I've forgotten the international source, which is what I have, but it's still free. An autopilot is the best anti-exhaustion over night haul investment we have ever made. If you are around shipping, AIS is $400, and you'd be amazed how many ships there are out there looking for a chance to nail you. Radar? Expensive, but the Furuno 1715 does the job and is available as a free-standing unit. I would not leave home without it.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:21   #22

Update (and I know it's been a while and I shoud prolly let the thread die). Survey results came out "Good" on the 1981 Hunter 27 in all categories with the exception of the 12-VDC electrical system, which is full functional, but the wiring is not up to par. Rudder has some "possible" delamination on the port side (surface cracking but nothing structural). So I purchased the boat in the middle of last month. Title and Bill of Sale has been received by an old Navy Buddy in Vah Beach. I think he was more excited than I was as he went out a purchased a Rocna anchor with 6-foot of chain and 150-foot of rode (well, I did save his life once in a previous life..but who's counting...he saved mine too).

My current employer, the German owner of the boat I am currently working on (on-and-off for the past 4-years), in lieu of my normal 6-month bonus (I received half of it anyway...in US$ no less!) Has "gifted" me a Raymarine eS78 wireless radar system with MFD, a Raymarine SPX-5 Wheel Tiller AP and a Standard Horizon 2200 Matrix VHF Radio with AIS and GPS to replace the old 9-channel VHF on the boat! They were ordered a week ago. Repatriating to the States in April 2017 now (ticket purchased). If it weren't for winter in the States coming up, I'd be outta here next week! (Blood's to thin after living in Egypt for 19 years).
Old 07-08-2016, 11:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the update, and a here's a slightly premature welcome home! Sounds like you're going to have the best equipped 27 on the water. If you install a propane stove, note that there are also some really neat propane heaters on the market that draw air in one concentric pipe and discharge exhaust out the other - as a result, they draw no air from the cabin and are sealed from it. No problem with ventilation or CO in the cabin. We love ours on a frosty morning.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:20   #24

Hey tkeithlu, what model do you have? Gives me a starting point for research. But it sound like just what I need for winter 2017.
Old 07-08-2016, 15:02   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Congrats, Teknishn,

Definite progress there, and good on your employer! neat gift.

You may find that you will want a heater in the US in April, installed by the time you get there, or get an electric one, while you're in the marina.

Ann
Old 07-08-2016, 16:00   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have the Dickinson Newport P9000, the smaller of the two Dickinson makes, the other being the 12000. It takes up very little space in the main salon, has a window to the flame, and the concentric hoses are flexible, so mounting it was easy. The cap on the boat deck above is a mushroom about six inches across, with air in the lower level and exhaust out the top. We have a separate propane tank for it on the boat deck, rather than trying to link it back to the cooking stove propane supply. It has its own solenoid gas cut-off switch per ABYC. It's rather pretty, actually. Go2Marine has them for under 800 USD.
Old 03-02-2017, 00:13   #27

Hello All!
Been a while since I've posted on this thread but I did promise to provide updates from time-to-time. Still here in Egypt with 68-days and a wake up before boarding the plane back to the States to get to my boat.

In the meantime, over the past few months I have, through an old Navy buddy, been ordering items online for the the outfitting of the boat as a liveaboard. Made the final order of items last night. These are items that I KNOW are needed without having set foot onboard based on the PO's input, photos, videos, and survey results.

Some examples are:

-Set of storm sails (Rolly Tasker)
-Handheld submersible VHF with GPS and personal locator.
-Auto/Manual inflatable sailing lifejacket
-Additional storm anchor, rode, and attaching hardware (Now have 3 anchors with rodes)
-Heavier cleats for beefing up the anchoring systems (have to do backing plates once onboard)
-Toerail cleats (boat has no amidship cleats)
-Cheap propane stove (to be replaced later once galley counter dimensions are known)
-Hoses and fittings for the above
-Propane and Smoke detector alarm units
-Switch panels, battery switches, bilge pumps, float switches, power meters, etc. for overhaul of the boat's DC systems.
-Solar panel and PWM controller
-2500W Inverter
-A couple of solar power lanterns (for illuminating the cockpit at night while at anchorages)
-Paper charts for the Chesapeake Bay (8 of them)
-GPS USB puck antenna for my laptop chartplotter
-Weems and Plath Nav Tool kit (my current 30-year old set is p retty worn out..slopply parallel rulers, dividers not tighten up so good any more)
- Weems and Plath mini oil lamps (2)....(okay, not a real need, more of a want cuz they just look so sexy! )

To date, for those that are considering doing something akin to what I am (i.e. buying an older boat online and outfitting it as a liveaboard from afar) my total outfitting costs for the above to date, plus a few other items not listed above, total costs to date has been $2250. Once I arrive at the boat I have budgeted another $5000 to finish outfitting (all work accomplished by myself): Bottom painting, tool/galley/bedding purchases, clothing, foulies, wetsuit and dive kit, overboard discharge fitting and valve replacements (all), epoxies, paints, paint supplies, mount for the radar scanner, insurance, tax/title/registration/VHF license, yard fees, first month's food, hotels/B&B's, and transportation.

I know that my little 81 Hunter 27 ain't much of a boat....but the old gal is all mine and I'm looking forward to the adventure!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:31   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Techo, the anticipation that you feel is showing ever more in your posts! In your place, I reckon I'd never sleep... just ants about thinking of all the fun ahead. Hang in there, better times coming...

Jim
Old 18-04-2017, 05:06   #29

Hello All,
Finally arrived Stateside last week in preparation for outfitting and moving aboard my little pocket cruiser.

Has been a busy week here. Re-united with my daughter whom I had not seen 29-years, meeting a grandson I didn't know I had, taking care of banking issues, clothes shopping (REAL Levi's and shirts where both sleeves are actually the same length!), boat titling/registration and shopping for the last bits, pieces, and parts for outfitting the boat....and the restaurants (I'm gonna put on sooo much weight! LOL).

Thought I would feel a bit like a fish out of water here in the States after being gone for so long, and maybe did the first time I was told to swipe my debit card at Home Depot for tool purchases (I've never "swiped" anything except maybe a couple of beers from my Dad when I was a teenager ), but other than that, being here feels almost "normal"!

In the meantime, heading to the boat tomorrow morning (located about 100-miles north of here) to onload all the kit, do the bottom, and get the boat in the water...hopefully on Friday next (weather isn't looking so good though).

For anyone who has been following this thread that is considering doing what I am doing, and I'm no expert here...just sharing my adventure, concerning outfitting of the boat I'm coming in about $150 over budget for outfitting costs (read my previous posts for my budget for outfitting). Still have a cushion set aside for additional costs once on the boat....just in case

Best to all!
Old 18-04-2017, 07:42   #30

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Welcome home. I can only imagine your excitement at re acclimating to life in the US. A daughter and a grandson, that is something to come home to.

Keep us informed as you move into and personalize the boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail