Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2011, 15:50   #1

Retirement: First Decision

I am contemplating my retirement, and life changing move to the boat I am purchasing. The location for this move is yet to be determined. any recommendations, for friendly marinas, that wecome liveaboards. either coast is doable, for the right situation. Thanyou this is a great forum.
WDSTRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 16:23   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: First decision.

Welcome, WD... Look for a marina with well maintained vessels, good security, friendly management staff and reasonable rates for water, power and any other charges. Be prepared to pay a little extra for the priviege of living aboard. Before settling on a marina, spend some time walking the docks and talking to folks, preferably liveaboards in the marina you are interested in.
Many of the west coast marinas now have liveaboard slips available due to the economy going in the tank. But be prepared to pay an extra tax levied by CA Countys' on your personal property, ie., your boat. Good Luck with your search... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 16:40   #3

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Most Washington state saltwater marinas welcome liveaboards. The bureau of land management seems to limit to 10% of capacity. Premium for doing so range from $15-$100 dollars per month. Automobile parking not included. Where I'm moored, it's $15/ month plus $285/month moorage for a 49' boat, but then it's 12 miles to town, and no security, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Other marinas range to 10$/ft or so. Oregon seems to be comparable.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 16:59   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard. Went through this process about 5 years ago. Still only live aboard here 6 months a year.
Old 28-06-2011, 00:50   #5

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
Re: Retirement: First Decision

Look for potted plants by the dock steps, it's a sure sign of liveaboards. I'm in Marina del Rey in L.A. and there are liveabords everywhere. The additional fee is generally 50% of the slip rate.
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 00:58   #6

Boat: 85' Shrimper

I bought a house on a Bayou in Louisiana...125' of Bayou. Neighbors are Shrimp fishermen, I drive up to the boat, important because I'm re-building and there is no property tax. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 01:14   #7

Boat: Privilege 37

Does it really matter / the whole point about a boat isthat when you are tired with the view or fed up with the neighbour, you move. Probably better to choose one that is easy to get to toinitially, and then cruise up and down a bit where you think you might be interested and see how they compare.
Old 28-06-2011, 02:40   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Where are you now and what type and size boat?

Are you looking for pleasant weather year-round? Rural or metro area? What kind of cruising do you plan to do? What kind of amenities do you want or need? Lots of variables to consider.

We like our marina, but there aren't a lot of liveaboards so you may not like that. Also it's rural and cold in the winter, a couple other things you may not be looking for. Price is very good and the sailing is great, people super, good protection from bad weather, and not far from lots of culture in Washington, DC, plus lots of marine services in Annapolis.

Tags
retirement