Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 10:03   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Researching a Sailing Vacation

TUI Travel, owners of the Moorings, Sunsail and Footloose is a very large sailing vacation company, offering crewed options in most if not all their locations around the world. Visit the Moorings or Sunsail website for locations, costs, etc. Their Americas base in the British Virgin Islands isn't a bad place to start.

There are certainly many other companies offering great sailing vacations, but that's not a bad place to start your search.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
I did indeed do a simple Google search which returned about 224,000 results from nearly every corner of the Earth.

I am merely looking for a good starting point and perhaps some first-hand experience, which is better than catchy sales slogans.
I appreciate your frustration in that approach, but, but, but...

The reason I said what I did is that in your posts, other than telling us where you're starting from (and only telling us after you were asked), WE have NO idea what YOU like.

If you want challenging and gorgeous scenery, the San Juans would be great. The sailing itself is NOT so great because you have to motor a lot and winds are fickle.

If want WANT to SAIL, the BVIs are by far the best for first timers.

You could sail the Great Lakes. The North Channel is gorgeous. I know there are charters there, don't know about crewed, but that's where Google would serve you well.

I hope that your answer was not one of those "You didn't like the reply" 'cuz this answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
May I suggest you be more specific in your question, if you want some real suggestions? There is nothing in your post or profile to indicate your location, desires, and abilities. Your post is something like, "I'd like to go on vacation somewhere; what places are nice?" Some basic questions include: Location are you starting from; Resources (budget, sailing ability); Previous experiences that you liked (sailing, swimming, historical trips, etc.).
nailed it. It's like asking your mother which girl to marry before you've had a first date.

We simply don't know and are trying to help you.

In 1986, we'd owned our 22 foot sailboat for 3 years. I'd been sailing as a kid. I love the water and all watersports. I filled out a resume and we did a bareboat charter out of St. Thomas, spent most of the time the BVIs. I love it where it's warm. You can see where I live in my signature. There: I've told you more about my interests than you have of yours.

Please, help us to help you by being more specific.

In any event, good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

And have a great time!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:27   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go to Tonga. I like French Polynesia too.

Then maybe West Indies and the Med only if nothing else was possible.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:39   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go to Tonga. I like French Polynesia too.

Then maybe West Indies and the Med only if nothing else was possible.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:52   #20

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
WE have NO idea what YOU like.
Tough to nail down which of these idealistic images in my head to go with. The coast of France, Italy or Spain. Now I've heard a lot about BVI (which I had to Google to know it was British Virgin Islands).

It's like asking a guy what kind of girl he likes, when he's never met a girl.

Thanks for the info.

m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:04   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

m2244,
While I'm pretty much in line with Stu Jackson, if I read a bit between the lines of what you're writing I can try to guess what interests you...
Quote:
Tough to nail down which of these idealistic images in my head to go with. The coast of France, Italy or Spain. Now I've heard a lot about BVI (which I had to Google to know it was British Virgin Islands).
But, since I haven't the time for guessing games, here's some straight scoop!

If you want crowds, the BVI has lots....and many drunken Americans, embarrassing themselves!

There are also crowds in the Med (Mediterranean), south of
France....and Costa del Sol, Spain....there you find a more upscale crowd, but some just call 'em "euro trash"...

(don't know much about chartering in Italy....try Google

Turkey is less crowded, and a bit less spoiled....but thesedays I'm not sure I'd opt for Turkey...

The southeastern Caribbean is less crowded, with nice winds...and less night life than in the BVI or the Med...
Same for some places in the SW Caribbean, and S. Pacific....

BUT...

But, with a budget of $5000, all-in???
Boat, captain, food/provisions, etc., and airfare???
Your choices are limited somewhat...

Strongly think you should consider OFF-SEASON chartering....meaning you get a lower price for the boat (and maybe a bit lower for a captain), but food is the same....and airfare?? (well airfares change all the time, so no precise advice there!...sorry!

{BTW, "off-season" varies....the winter is "off-season" in the Med, versus summer being "off-season" in the Caribbean..}

~~~

Now, if you don't mind....here is something that might make you realize that we are really trying to help 'ya....just that we don't know what you like nor what you want...

Personally, I grew up sailing/cruising/voyaging starting as a kid in the mid 1960's....from a homebase in S. Florida, in the 60's thru the 80's, I sailed many offshore passages to/from the US and Caribbean....spent many a weeks just lying around, island-hoping thru the Bahamas....lots of SCUBA diving and snorkeling....(I LOVE the warm water!!)....a couple crossings of the Atlantic....a few seasons sailing the Mediterranean (I LOVED Spain! as well as Portugal....Greece was nice back then, and Turkey was a dream, so exotic!!!).....trained as a navigator and offshore sailor....amateur meteorologist....private pilot....majored in Physics, but started my own electronics/communications firm in the early 80's (and sailed less for a while, as I didn't have a boat for a while)....sailed and cruised with brother and others for a while....and also worked on some boats....then after a while bought a boat again....sailed a LOT more....a couple more crossings of the Atlantic....spent > a decade now caring for elderly parents, but still manage to sail offshore / explore, etc....
I prefer far-flung / off-the-beaten-path places, and you couldn't pay me to sail in the BVI!!!!

{BTW, in the late 60's and early 70's, we would push the bow to the beach, and tie off to some palm trees, right in the middle of the main harbor of Peter Island, BVI (uninhabited back then)....and we'd never see another human for a week (until we'd head to Road Town for fresh produce/bread/etc.)....we'd listen to the BBC and/or some clear-channel AM stations (at night) just to know the rest of the world was still there...
But, those days have long-since passed!!
You cannot find a clean empty spot of beach, nor a quite place to anchor/moor, nor even get away from civilization at all, in the BVI now!!}

My experiences and desires are vastly different than many others here....and as such, my advice can be hued in ways that might not come thru in the words on the screen...
So, I think you see why asking "where to go", WITHOUT actually describing what you want, is such a vague question, that you will not get much in the way of effective advice until you disclose something....
But, at least I tried!

fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:34   #22

Get in touch with Ed Hamilton Yacht Charter Brokers. They can help match you up with privately owned crewed yacht charters and give you the pros and cons of each yacht, crew and sailing area. I have used them many times and have always been satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:38   #23

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
m2244,
since I haven't the time for guessing games,
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but maybe I should have asked it this way:

"What is your opinion on chartering a crewed sailboat as a vacation? If you have an opinion you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it as I have very, very little sailing experience. Where have you been and what have you liked?"

I have an engineering background. Very detailed thinking. But my life has taken a turn and now I simply want to experience more of it. When it comes to sailing, I am open to suggestions. Some posters here have given me their opinions based on their personal experiences. That is all I'm asking.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I know what you mean about things in our lives changing. It can be hard to watch.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:39   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

If you're looking for blue water and white beaches, the BVI is so hard to beat. Easy to get to. Easy destinations. It's probably hooked more people on the cruising lifestyle than just about any other destination (or at least in that part of the world). I think up your budget just a bit. Unless you were not including air fare etc. Also the other Capts offer of a crewed Capt charter is a good way to go if you don't have a lot of experience. He sounds like he has a nice operation.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:50   #25

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Hello,

I have a quick question. I'm not sure we will do this any time soon, simply looking into it at this point.

I would like (I think) to take my wife on a sailing vacation charter. What are some of the best places to do this? I've seen things around Spain, France, Greece, The Caribbean, etc.

I would like to be able to bumble around as opposed to a planned "tour". One day maybe stay in a certain area that we like, or just lounge around.

Any suggestions?
I' ve seen lots of reccomendations for the Med or Caribbean but no one has suggested Thailand, my cruising area.
Warm water, exotic food and culture, hundreds of islands to explore with an extensive tourism industry or blessed isolation. High quality yacht charter industry catering for all levels of skill.

Phukhet has something for every taste.

Getting there may be longer and more expensive but once there your costs are much less.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:06   #26

"What is your opinion on chartering a crewed sailboat as a vacation?"

Get the right crew, usually a captain and a great cook, and it will be one of your best vacations ever. Do some research ahead of time and find a crew that is experienced in what you want to do. Scuba? Hiking? Fishing? Teaching? Partying? Nudity?

Whatever you are into find a like minded crew and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:07   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

m2244,
I never thought you were trying to be a jerk!
I'm all smiles here!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja
m2244,
since I haven't the time for guessing games,
I'm not trying to be a jerk here
...but maybe I should have asked it this way:
But, you snipped out the rest of my words, and especially the "smiley face", all of which indicate that I never thought you were a jerk, and that I was trying to help....
Here is what I wrote:
Quote:
m2244,
While I'm pretty much in line with Stu Jackson, if I read a bit between the lines of what you're writing I can try to guess what interests you...
Quote:
m2244,

If you want crowds, the BVI has lots....and many drunken Americans, embarrassing themselves!

There are also crowds in the Med (Mediterranean), south of
France....and Costa del Sol, Spain....there you find a more upscale crowd, but some just call 'em "euro trash"...

(don't know much about chartering in Italy....try Google

Turkey is less crowded, and a bit less spoiled....but thesedays I'm not sure I'd opt for Turkey...

The southeastern Caribbean is less crowded, with nice winds...and less night life than in the BVI or the Med...
Same for some places in the SW Caribbean, and S. Pacific....

BUT...

But, with a budget of $5000, all-in???
Boat, captain, food/provisions, etc., and airfare???
Your choices are limited somewhat...

Strongly think you should consider OFF-SEASON chartering....meaning you get a lower price for the boat (and maybe a bit lower for a captain), but food is the same....and airfare?? (well airfares change all the time, so no precise advice there!...sorry!

{BTW, "off-season" varies....the winter is "off-season" in the Med, versus summer being "off-season" in the Caribbean..}

~~~

Now, if you don't mind....here is something that might make you realize that we are really trying to help 'ya....just that we don't know what you like nor what you want...

Personally, I grew up sailing/cruising/voyaging starting as a kid in the mid 1960's....from a homebase in S. Florida, in the 60's thru the 80's, I sailed many offshore passages to/from the US and Caribbean....spent many a weeks just lying around, island-hoping thru the Bahamas....lots of SCUBA diving and snorkeling....(I LOVE the warm water!!)....a couple crossings of the Atlantic....a few seasons sailing the Mediterranean (I LOVED Spain! as well as Portugal....Greece was nice back then, and Turkey was a dream, so exotic!!!).....trained as a navigator and offshore sailor....amateur meteorologist....private pilot....majored in Physics, but started my own electronics/communications firm in the early 80's (and sailed less for a while, as I didn't have a boat for a while)....sailed and cruised with brother and others for a while....and also worked on some boats....then after a while bought a boat again....sailed a LOT more....a couple more crossings of the Atlantic....spent > a decade now caring for elderly parents, but still manage to sail offshore / explore, etc....
I prefer far-flung / off-the-beaten-path places, and you couldn't pay me to sail in the BVI!!!!

{BTW, in the late 60's and early 70's, we would push the bow to the beach, and tie off to some palm trees, right in the middle of the main harbor of Peter Island, BVI (uninhabited back then)....and we'd never see another human for a week (until we'd head to Road Town for fresh produce/bread/etc.)....we'd listen to the BBC and/or some clear-channel AM stations (at night) just to know the rest of the world was still there...
But, those days have long-since passed!!
You cannot find a clean empty spot of beach, nor a quite place to anchor/moor, nor even get away from civilization at all, in the BVI now!!}

My experiences and desires are vastly different than many others here....and as such, my advice can be hued in ways that might not come thru in the words on the screen...
So, I think you see why asking "where to go", WITHOUT actually describing what you want, is such a vague question, that you will not get much in the way of effective advice until you disclose something....
But, at least I tried!

fair winds...

John

fair winds and good luck

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:46   #28

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Grenadines is the place to be with a Catamaran charter. Grenada as a base. We just booked with Horizon for a week in May. Tobago Cays Baby!
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:11   #29

Boat: 36' Cape Dory

I would encourage you to check these guys out:

Sailing Holidays, boat and yacht charters all over the world.

Their service is FREE to users. They work worldwide through brokers. It's also low price guaranteed. Saves a lot of time.

Regarding the crew, I would ask the brokers once you decide on a location / boat. They probably know so locals who would be available.
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:15   #30

Boat: Bayfield 40

BVI...BVI..BVI
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, research, sail, sailing, vacation