Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 19:14   #1

Boat: Simpson 12
Resale value of newish vs oldish boats?

Hi, I have posted a few times on this forum about how to go about sailing around the world with zero experience. Anyway, we have made the decision to buy a small-ish coastal cruiser now to use for a year or so before buying the ultimate boat.

What boat would you buy knowing you were going to sell it in a year or 2? An 8-10yr old or 20-30yr old, or older boat?

Some examples:

10 yr old, 25 yr old, Older, Another

Thank you!
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:41   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Resale value of newish vs oldish boats?

Depreciation curves would seem to steepen as you get newer. An old boat won't cost so much, and won't lose much value as it gets older. A new boat will cost a lot and will lose a good bit of its value as it gets older. Some boats hold their value better than others because of their build quality or because they sail well and are popular. What works for you depends upon your budget.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:43   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmm... in Australia, not so sure, but around these parts, southern Cal, the Catalina 27 would be my first choice FOR WHAT you are saying. They are very common, easy to sail, sail well, relatively roomy and inexpensive to own. They are probably 25 to 30 or ... gulp... 40 years old? (am I that old?) guess so... so oldish I'd say... in good condition.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 20:54   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I think most buyers, either of boats or other capital intensive items, struggle with the same problem: Buy new, near new, older or old?
The examples you listed vary from $155k to $25k. Obviously you can easily lose $25k on the first boat, plus the first boat will cost more to store, haulout etc, but likely cheaper in maintenance/upgrade. It would be near impossible to lose $25k on the last boat, unless you sink it, uninsured. The resale value will be similar in 2 year's time. The cost to you will be in upgrade/repairs.

The last example (Nicholson 32) is also mentioned in another current thread you might to look at here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-179678.html

I am sure you realise that owning a boat is not a numbers or dollars game, and if it was, not many, if any people would own one.
Old 06-02-2017, 20:57   #5

What about maintenance? Would a newer boat cost me less in maintenance over the 1-2 yrs?
Old 06-02-2017, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
The examples you listed vary from $155k to $25k. Obviously you can easily lose $25k on the first boat, plus the first boat will cost more to store, haulout etc, but likely cheaper in maintenance/upgrade.
Why would I easily lose $25k on the $155k boat? And why will it cost more to store, haulout, etc?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 21:08   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

As Don said above, a popular boat in your area. I would say in the US market a Catalina 30 class of boat. Something that is easy to price because there are many sales on the market. This would preclude a newer boat, as there aren't many around. So anything in the 20 to 5 year old range would be easy to price, both on your purchase and your latter sale.
Old 06-02-2017, 21:19   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There's another thread on this very issue. The first two suggestions were a Top Hat, and a Swanson 28. One Top Hat is known to have circumnavigated; another went Newcastle to Canada via Hawaii, then down through Mexico and returned along the milk run. Two adults and a toddler aboard. The Swanson 28 has a large interior for a vessel its size, I am told.

Ann

Ann
Old 06-02-2017, 22:37   #9

Resale value of newish vs oldish boats?

Thanks Ann but I'm not really after advice on which model to buy.

Say you had $150k, and you needed a boat for 2 years for coastal cruising, after which time you will sell it and buy your ultimate boat.

Would you buy a 10, 20 or 30+ yr old boat?

I should also say that I want to get my family used to boating/cruising in this boat, so comfort comes into the equation.
Old 06-02-2017, 22:57   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

From the group you posted I would go for either the Bene or the Nic... but they are chalk/cheese. What sort of boat do *you* want?

The Bene would probably be easier to sell.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:16   #11

Boat: no boat any more

"... buying the ultimate boat...."
just for the record: there is no, repeat NO ultimate boat, none, zero, zilch! no matter how much experience you have (let alone 1 year of coastal cruising...!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:48   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Agreed, like vehicles, different boats for different purposes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Why would I easily lose $25k on the $155k boat? And why will it cost more to store, haulout, etc?

Thanks.
Because of boat depreciation, bigger number more loss.
You also state you are new to boats plus family (kids?).
My vote would be older cheaper boat.
A docking mistake won't affect value of a old boat much if t all. It sure will on a shiny newer boat.
Kids will drop winch handles etc again won't matter as much. Get the first boat then get as many rides from dock mates to narrow your wants/ likes for the next boat.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:20   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If I were going to buy a boat and keep it for a year I'd plan on doing zero maintenance. And I wouldn't be so picky about problems. That opens a lot of doors.

An inexpensive older boat that has non-deadly issues (ex. C27 with wet decks) won't lose much value over a year time, and it won't cost much to maintain if you don't fix anything.

My maintenance (and upgrade) costs annually are about equal to my dockage and storage, and three times depreciation. YMMV. If I knew I was only going to keep the boat one more year I could eliminate all of the upgrade costs and most of the maintenance. Heck, I wouldn't bother to treat the teak, saving me days of work!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39   #15

Boat: no boat any more

"...if you don't fix anything..."
on the other hand: the "fixing" would be the perfect preparation for the rtw....(cause your 1st is going to be "sailing from port to port to make repairs"!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sale