Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 08:57   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Replacement Hand Held VHF Radio

The BaoFeng UV5R and similar are called "CCR's" by hams. Meaning, Cheap Chinese Radios. They are cheap because they are mainly software defined radios, emulating hardware that does a better job of suppressing interference, etc. They are not "certified" or "type accepted" by the FCC for any use, so they are illegal for ANY service in the US, except for ham radio. Hams are allowed to use anything--but they are also personally responsible for seeing that their equipment is in compliance with all regulations, and the CCRs have been found to go well out of compliance after a few short years.
Even when they are new, objective tests show them to be inferior performers.

Hams DO give them credit for providing a cheap entry level radio, a cheap backup radio, a cheap "at risk" or disposable radio. (Notice that "C" word keeps coming up?) But using them in violation of FCC regulations, in the US, could result in a fine of $10,000 per radio or per use. The fines are rare but FCC enforcement actions take place every day. On a ship on the high seas...there's about zero risk. In a US port? Not so good, all someone has to do is make a phone call to start enforcement actions.

If any of the CCR makers ever really polished up their work and submitted it for legal approval in the US, they'd probably still make a killing--but their price would no doubt double.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
I had to replace my old handheld VHF recently in the UK and I bought a Cobra HH350. I like the ergonomics. And the price was sub $100.
I don't know the HH350, but I had an HH325 some years ago and it was a great radio.

I've had various Icoms and Standard Horizons. The SH 851 I had was quite poor in various respects. I replaced with an SH870 which is totally different animal, very satisfactory in every way. I recommend it.

But if my one experience with Cobra is any indication, this is also a very good choice, outstanding radio for the money.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56   #18

The SH 870 is a great unit. Probably the best under $200 handheld out there.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 16:41   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
The SH 870 is a great unit. Probably the best under $200 handheld out there.
I'd say by far the best. Uniden used to have a decent GPS/VHF handheld for ~$120 but it's discontinued.

VHF only, you can get Cobras and Unidens for under $100 easy. But once you get close to $200 the obvious choice is the SH 870.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 19:19   #20

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26

Hi,
I have not received it yet, but I ordered the Standard Horizon HX 870. I liked that it has the emergency calling with GPS location. I also liked that there is a $40 rebate from the manufacturer.

I looked at reviews for quite a few hand helds. Problems included no replacement batteries available when the ones that came with it die (pretty bad to sell something like that!), and battery covers that broke first or second time they were opened. He 870 had consistently good reviews. $200 minus a rebate of $40 currently.
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 19:28   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The BaoFeng UV5R and similar are called "CCR's" by hams. Meaning, Cheap Chinese Radios. They are cheap because they are mainly software defined radios, emulating hardware that does a better job of suppressing interference, etc. They are not "certified" or "type accepted" by the FCC for any use, so they are illegal for ANY service in the US, except for ham radio. Hams are allowed to use anything--but they are also personally responsible for seeing that their equipment is in compliance with all regulations, and the CCRs have been found to go well out of compliance after a few short years.
Even when they are new, objective tests show them to be inferior performers.

Hams DO give them credit for providing a cheap entry level radio, a cheap backup radio, a cheap "at risk" or disposable radio. (Notice that "C" word keeps coming up?) But using them in violation of FCC regulations, in the US, could result in a fine of $10,000 per radio or per use. The fines are rare but FCC enforcement actions take place every day. On a ship on the high seas...there's about zero risk. In a US port? Not so good, all someone has to do is make a phone call to start enforcement actions.

If any of the CCR makers ever really polished up their work and submitted it for legal approval in the US, they'd probably still make a killing--but their price would no doubt double.

Absolutely agree but around here they have a more generic name: CCC - Cheap Chinese Crap.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hf radio, men, radio, vhf