Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 19:16   #1

Boat: TBD
Renting Sailboats

Hello,

My wife and I (I've noticed quite a few posts here that start out this way) are thinking about the possibility of renting a sailboat for a couple of weeks a year somewhere like the BVI or similar location. At one point I knew a gentleman who did this but I had the chance to talk to him much about it.

Right now I'm just working on taking some basic sailing lessons and working toward a license, and doing the sailboat rental in a couple of years if it all works out.

Has anyone here done this sort of thing? I'm wondering what some of the associated costs and requirements are for this sort of thing. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

If you decide to post a reply, I ask that you try to keep it pleasant.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:18   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Renting Sailboats

People do this all the time. It's called "chartering", and the BVI is THE premier destination for newbie charterers (and experienced charterers, too).

All you need to do is convince the charter company you're a competent skipper and have a credit card in your wallet. If you don't feel quite confident enough on your own, the charter company will put a skipper on board for a day or two to get you up to speed (for a price, of course). Or, consider finding another couple who has some sailing experience to come along to share the expenses. The charter boats are set up for two or more couples.

I'd suggest using the Google search feature in the "Search" pull-down menu up top on the page to find threads in the CF archives about chartering in the BVI to get a feel for what's involved. Then look at websites of the charter companies in the BVI for costs, etc. If you're located anywhere near Annapolis, Maryland, go to the Boat Show in October and talk with the charter company reps there.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:33   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

The one problem I have with charter boats is that they don't charter anything like the sort of boat I ended up buying. So if I had been in the market for something under 10 years old I would have found chartering a great way to try-before-you-buy, but when you know you are going to end up buying something more like 40 years old, the charter boats don't seem all that informative. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed sailing a Bavaria 42 around the Whitsundays in Australia, but in terms of a sailing experience that would have absolutely no relevance to sailing our 40 year old Swanson 42 around Adelaide.

Food for thought.

Matt
Old 13-07-2016, 09:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Chartering is a great way to sail all of the seas of the world, not just the BVI. Do that in year one. In year 2 go to the Med. In year 3 try Vancouver Island. There are so many many beautiful places to sail in the world and they all have great chartering opportunities. So why would you stick with one place. Prices are lower in the off seasons, just when there will be a lot fewer boats in the anchoring bays and there tends to be more wind to boot.

Once you've taken a basic course and have a valid credit card, the chartering companies don't ask for much more. Make sure to buy the extra boat insurance, just for your own piece of mind.

Tags
renting, sail, sailboat