Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 00:30   #16

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Re: rental kayaks and paddleboards...the new pests?

Running a kayaker down wont be a great feeling. Kinda like running somebody down on the road, that too isnt a great feeling. Kayakers are people out on the water doing it too. They are all needing to be seen just like us sailors needing to be seen from something bigger like a container ship... thats right a ship. Now how would you like a ship's horn telling you to get out of the way.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 01:10   #17

Surfing bow waves in a kayak is fun ! In Hong Kong I used to rent a kayak and surf the container ships for miles down the channel, then catch another back.

I would not recommend it for beginners or people who want to die of old age. Chinese captains didn't mind, but the foreign captains tended to discourage it with a few good blasts on the air horn.

Personally I don't think I would bother surfing the wake of a Hunter 31, but I guess beginners need to start small.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 03:54   #18

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Running a kayaker down wont be a great feeling. Kinda like running somebody down on the road, that too isnt a great feeling. Kayakers are people out on the water doing it too. They are all needing to be seen just like us sailors needing to be seen from something bigger like a container ship... thats right a ship. Now how would you like a ship's horn telling you to get out of the way.
Of I was stupid enough to bring my boat up on a collision course with a container ship in a channel, I would be grateful for the reminder of my own stupidity.

Yes kayakers are enjoying the water but they need to realize that A: channels are for big boats, not for hanging out on a kayak chatting with friends. ESPECIALLY channels into marinas (where we seem to get a lot of kayakers and they love to sit in the center of the channel). B: Boats do not come with brakes.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 05:33   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
All kidding aside, we have found that a nice long blast of an air horn gets their attention and works quite well. It also has the added benefit of getting their heart rate up to help them paddle just a wee bit quicker!
combined with a waive of acknowledgement to them seems to work well enough (reassures them that they have been seen so less likely to do something stupid at the last minute).

If it is a school taking lessons in a working fairway probably worth getting in touch with the school ashore (they might not actually know! or be aware that not wise)......if that don't work then maybe one for the harbourmaster to deal with ashore?

Personally I like the live and let live approach - even when that means I slow down or make a slight detour behind folks.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 09:23   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
I agree with you in open water, but backing out of a tight marina slip, not so much.

( Grabbing unsecured wifi in Desolation Sound )

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote