Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 20:13   #1

Relocating a boat

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a boat from the west coast to the east coast (yes, I mean the US). The only problem is: I'm not there and I don't nuttin' about relocating a large sailboat.

Has anyone ever hired a broker to make all arrangements? I'm talking about everything from plucking it out of the Pacific to splashing it in the Atlantic.

Thanks,
minitee
Minitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 20:50   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The Locations, Size and condition of the boat would help us to advise you.

A lot would depend on my confidence with the Broker before I gave him that kind of authority
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 21:46   #3

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Having just gone through our first experience with moving a boat (Hawaii to Seattle, ship to San Diego then truck to Anacortes) I would highly recommend that you be there to make sure everything is packed, padded, wrapped, taped, labeled, and secured properly. You might be able to find someone that would charge you a lot of money to do it, but you could still end up with a lot of damage. They would have to have a long list of great references before I would even think about it. There are a bunch of details that only you will think of that could cause a lot of trouble, and you might not discover them until it's time to put it all back together. If money is no object I am sure you can find someone, but it is an amazingly time consuming job to get the boat and rigging ready for a long road trip. We (2 people) spent 5 long days preparing our 40' mono and could have spent one more day on it easily.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 22:14   #4

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Shipping Broker or Yacht Broker

Are you talking about a shipping broker or a yacht broker. A yacht broker might oversee the derigg and packing for transport as part of the sales process, does depend on the yacht. A shipping broker mostly will arrange the actual shipping of the vessel either by land or sea. If you already own the boat you would probably be better of with one of the yacht commissioning companies. As Pelagic says more info is needed and as John says it will cost. I do know of people in San Diego who do excellent work.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 23:42   #5

Oops! The boat is a 42 ft sloop, 13 ft beam, 8 ft keel. 20 years old, excellent condition. Locations are San Diego to the Chesapeake Bay.

As for the type of broker, I guess that's my question: is there someone who will do both -- derigg/pack it and arrange the actual shipping?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
It is going to be a matter of initially costing your various options with shipping brokers for commercial shipping as well as Yacht Transport Companies.

I recommend that you initially Google “Yacht Transport” and you will find a plethora of companies who ship yachts by:
1. Road
2. Rail
3. Deck Cargo on Container ships
4. Specialized yacht transport ships like “Dockwise” who do scheduled runs every year.

The advantage of 3 and 4 is that the rig stays intact and all that is needed is that the deck gear and sails are stripped and locked inside.

I would Cost 3 and 4 from San Diego to Miami and more northern east coast Ports and then look at the logistics and cost of a delivery on her own bottom to Chesapeake.

My last thought; if she is in good condition, why not also cost and consider bringing her around on her own bottom? If you can put your own representative onboard the delivery crew, this could actually be a fun adventure that you could join in stages.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:11   #7

How to

Shipping by Sea will cost 25K or more from Ensenada to Port Everglades then add your cost to go north. If your boats value will justify I agree with Pelagic by sea.

I have overseen 4 deriggs and pack for shipping this past year 2 to Pac Nor West 1 to Florida the other from Michigan to Oregon. Cost guesstimate to go by truck would be derigg 2500-3000 trucking 12000-15000 rerigg 2500-3000 so say 17000-20000. Never done by rail not sure if the cost to loading from boat yard to truck to rail 2 times would be cost effective. Be very careful on the INTERNET with trucking companies if they ask for money up front run away from them. What is traditional is for the trucker to get a bank check on the drop of the boat. The best rate is to find a trucking co that ships boats only and work into a back load schedule, you can save 50% on the rate. As a previous poster mentioned packing the boat needs to be overseen as well as coordinating the boat yard lift of the mast, packing the boat and loading the boat onto the truck, as you can see you will have to work with at least 2 separate entities or more. You need to have a person who you trust and knows what they are doing.

I think a commissioning person is the way to go as they are used to project management. Still comes down to someone you trust.

By sea if you are going to hire a reputable captain with a crew of 2 plus pay all costs plus return air fares you could spend 20K.

Jack
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00   #8

Thanks Pelagic and Stevens47 - this is exactly the kind of info I need and all the more reason why I'm looking to hire someone to handle all these details that I would never think of.

I did google "yacht transport" and sent e-mails. But I either got no reply or "we don't service your ports" (I guess some of these companies only service intl mega yachts).

So it seems to come down to finding someone local who will literally arrange everything from bow to stern. You mentioned using a commissioning person - great idea - where/how do I find one?

minitee
Old 11-03-2008, 12:37   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would get in touch with the boatyard you last used there. Feel them out, and get some information. It has to go in a yard no matter what, so why not start there? I would try to avoid another hand, the broker, out for payment.

A year ago I talked to a company delivering a boat in St. Augustine while the cat was on the hard. I asked about shipping my 30ftr. from S.F. Ca. to Florida.....$6,000.00, and that was before fuel doubled.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 15:20   #10

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Minitee-call Load a Boat in San Diego and ask for Larry. He coordinated our move and he might oversee it for you or he may know someone there. He helped us wrap our mast in Honolulu and gave us a lot of advice that we would never have thought of. He had his own 40' sailboat shipped over from Honolulu so he has been on our side of the fence. Sorry, don't have a number for you. Their truck driver was also very helpful, our move couldn't have gone smoother.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:52   #11

Thanks guys! This has been a good start. I'll contact San Diego and keep Cruiser's Forum up to date on my progress. Maybe I' can write a short "what I learned about moving (vice sailing) a boat" when it's all said and done.

minitee
Old 12-03-2008, 06:02   #12
Eternal Member

Minitee,

I am sure this will be an adventure in it's self. My fingers are crossed for you that it turns out to be an easy one. Best wishes in your new location with the boat, and I am also sure your information will become valuable for someone else.
Old 13-03-2008, 20:10   #13

Try these guys

Minitee

Try these guys they do good work in San Diego Rigworks.com Services
Old 14-03-2008, 00:43   #14

Thanks Stevens47... I went to Rigworks website... clear pros.

Got a good laugh: I got back a quote for over $75,000, not including derigging, cradle, etc.
Old 14-03-2008, 07:03   #15
Eternal Member

Possibly that was one zero too many?