Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2008, 08:00   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Wow

75K that is incredible. Glad you are laughing. Try this guy he has done a couple rig surveys and packed a boat to Florida. Works on his own and has no shop, name is Rocco Lombardi AKA Rocco the rigger ph is 619 997-7837. Good luck.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 01:27   #17

Thanks for the rigging contacts. I'm still working on the "over land" options, but meanwhile, I'm also costing out the "by sea" options.
Option "sea #1" is to have it sailed the entire way (Calif to mid Atlantic). Any one have a ballpark figure?
Option "sea #2" is to use a boat transport. Dockwise will run around $23 grand, but there's the additional cost of a delivery capn to take her down to Ensenada and up from Port Everglades. Anyone game to see the canal?

I'll compare these routes to the over land ones. Of course, as the wise old salts have already pointed out on this thread, it isn't just about cost. But by the time I get done, I'll be able to help anyone move anything!
minitee
Minitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 03:11   #18

With the way fuel has doubled in the last year. I'd strongly look at delivering her on her bottom.
From CA to VA. I'd guess 10K minimum for the truck alone. Rail would be out due to the 13' beam.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:16   #19

Buying & Selling

Minitee,

What is your boat? Does it have a special value to you beyond the type of boat or is it a design or build unusual. If not you may find that you can do better to sell it on the west coast then buy another on the east coast. As a general rule boat on the west sell for about 10% more than the east. That could allow you to have a broker sell it for you then get the same on the east. Seems like this could be the most cost effective way. If the boat has a value to you beyond its replacement value I understand. Just a thought.

Jack
Old 18-03-2008, 08:30   #20

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
double check your shipping options as to what trailer they have available after you get the quote. our last experience , a nov. 07 shipment from CT to Cleveland was not pleasant. after taking off work and driving 9 hrs to the new boat to get her loaded by LoadABoat and on a trailer, the trailer the shipper sent was not a 'lowbelly' and the boat wouldn't fit ---so no -go that week end. . the next weekend i had a different shipper but i could not take off work, so the yard did final preparation for the loading onto the trailer. the boat arrived with one port having been left open for a week, water in the bilge and all the batteries dead from lights and refrigerator being left on for a week....(note that when i left the boat , port was shut, batteries working and all loads OFF...) the yard's bill for stepping the mast, preparing the boat and leaving the port open so the bilge could fill with rain was $2800....
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:48   #21

I shipped my 46 foot catamaran from the east coast to the west coast last year. Yacht Path did a good job. I flew to Port Everglades and piloted the boat to the ship, stood by during the loading, and the 13 days later she arrived in west coast of Mexico Cost was around $32K The rigging stayed in place, just removed sails and canvas. Secured geared due to 15 degree roll on the transport ship. Denise and Colleen are the owners out of Florida and are nice people. There is allot of documentation involved and you need a separate insurance policy "Cargo Policy" Ensenada is their loading point on the west coast. Let me know if you need more info.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 09:04   #22

Additional thought

Don't forget to factor the wear and tear into you estimate on bringing her over on her own bottom. 20K for crew............? and the unknown on repairs and replacements for the things that will happen. And believe me it will happen.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 12:42   #23

Jack,

It's not so much that the boat is special... is that someone else is willing to pay for the majority of the move. But I have thought about leaving the boat on the west coast (you can see there are several options which is why I'm sooooo glad you guys are here!).

No one has mentioned bridge height yet for the road option. Should I be concerned about this? The keel is 8 ft... when you add on the above water height, hmmm... Won't it cost more if the transport has to "go around" the overpasses?
Old 18-03-2008, 19:38   #24

Boat Height

Yes the overall height will be a issue. Not all the states have the same bridge clearances. So the trucker will ask you the beam, weight and the height. You will need to measure the overall to the nearest non removable item or part (part of the derigg) of the boat. The low boy truck beds differ some allow for the keel to sit down low. between 4-6 inches off the road surface. The trucker can raise and lower the trailer to suit the conditions. I have seen trucks pulling into the boat yard that have hit overpasses, not pretty. Most of the guys worth there salt will know what route will work. But you will need to get the height of the boat to a workable dimension probably around 14 feet will be max height give or take a couple of inch's. If you measure your height from the waterline then add the draft and it is over 15 feet it is going to be hard to go by land, with out major alterations to the boat. You will need to talk to the trucker about anything over 14 1/2 feet.

Jack
Old 19-03-2008, 15:04   #25

Thanks Jack.

I gave your comments to San Diego Boat Movers and they are working up a quote for me. It looks like it will be over the 14 ft mark when you add the trailer.
The dockwise option is looking like it may be the only option... aside from leaving it in SoCal.
Old 27-08-2020, 11:05   #26

Re: Relocating a boat

Are you sure you want a boat with 8ft draft on the chesapeake? The bay tends to be shallow and that draft will be very limiting.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 11:13   #27

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Z View Post
Izobatta Maritime Yacht Transport has the schedule published in its website (izobatta.com).
For shipping boats/yachts inquiries - please visit the site - all information is there.
Maybe check the references, Google says no such firm, nor does the url work. Maybe just not accessible from some countries; I'm in New Zealand.
Old 27-08-2020, 11:17   #28

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Since height is an issue, I would suggest looking into trucking to the Texas Gulf coast, sail it from there. Staying low in Texas the bridge clearance is usually much greater and most haulers will know a good route.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 11:33   #29

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here's an interesting article by James Baldwin (Atom Voyages) about trailering a boat from Georgia to California. I think James has done a number of these delivery trips. Perhaps worth calling him direct. Even if hr could PM for you, he has a reputation to uphold.

In respect to the 8ft keel then get out a spanner.
Old 27-08-2020, 11:40   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minitee View Post
Thanks for the rigging contacts. I'm still working on the "over land" options, but meanwhile, I'm also costing out the "by sea" options.
Option "sea #1" is to have it sailed the entire way (Calif to mid Atlantic). Any one have a ballpark figure?
Option "sea #2" is to use a boat transport. Dockwise will run around $23 grand, but there's the additional cost of a delivery capn to take her down to Ensenada and up from Port Everglades. Anyone game to see the canal?

I'll compare these routes to the over land ones. Of course, as the wise old salts have already pointed out on this thread, it isn't just about cost. But by the time I get done, I'll be able to help anyone move anything!
minitee
With an 8' draft by the time you add the height to the top of the cabin and a foot or so for the trailer I'm 99% certain you will be too tall to fit under the bridges for road transport.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote