Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26   #241
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
It might be helpful if we all asked questions first, allowed the OP to answer then in a separate thread perform our analysis.

Just saying.
You could have done that at anytime........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28   #242

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

A translation of the article:

Run aground sailboat 'Serenity'; new ecocide in Banco Chinchorro

A sailboat with American flag ran aground overnight yesterday at the atoll reef Banco Chinchorro, damaging at least 10 colonies of coral in the area.

The boat is located one kilometer from where the 'Ayla' ran aground.

The Director of the reserve of the biosphere of Banco Chinchorro, María de el Carmen García Rivas, said that in the coming days they made the study of the area to accurately determine the affected area, as well as actions to be carried out to prevent further damage.

For the second time in the year so far, a sailboat ran aground on the shores of the reefs of Xcalak National Park. The first was the Argentine-born 'Ayla' sailboat, which was stranded on 23 March, the second is the 'Serenity' ship, which was found on 30 July.

As part of the journey undertaken by the authorities of the authorities of the National Commission of natural protected Areas (Conanp) on the shores of the reserve, as part of the measures of protection and shelter in the area, mainly to avoid illegal fishing of marine species in veda, the location of this boat was possible.

According to the preliminary report, the ship Serenity is of American origin, and it was abandoned by its crew members, since at the time that the staff that carries out the routes in the area fell to inspect found his or her possible pilots.
And that is disappointing news, thanks for posting.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39   #243
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Minaret-
OK, condensation just happens. But that's not going to produce cup after cup after cup of water, unless someone has been ignoring it for a long time. (Maybe the folks who invented self-defrosting freezers need to get working on somethign similar to dry out diesel fuel tanks? :-)

As for sail repair tape, I've always found that even the best of it, applied to freshly and thoroughly washed and dried sails, seems to hold up about as well as wet tissue paper. OK, maybe that's a good thing since the loft can peel it back to make a better repair...but a layer of urethane glue ("Goop") will bond a repair strip down solidly, even though that may need to set up overnight.

I guess the owner is going to get a bill for "ten coral reefs" in the mail, huh?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:52   #244

Sorry to hear you lost your boat.Not that it has any relevance I sailed to your country(USA) about a decade ago and was warmly welcomed,kind regards, colin P.S.first post and forgot to say hello to everyone.
colin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You could have done that at anytime........
A mere suggestion. And no, I could not have done 'it' at any time. By the time I came upon this thread it was filled with critical comments that eventually caused the 'OP' to bail. How many posters asked him for information? What was your primary motivation for leaving the boat would have been a good start? Without his answer everything else that follows is pretty speculative.

While I agree with many of the assumptions and conclusions in this thread, giving the man an opportunity to speak until everyone is satisfied all pertinent answers have been supplied is fair. No more, no less.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59   #246

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As for sail repair tape, I've always found that even the best of it, applied to freshly and thoroughly washed and dried sails, seems to hold up about as well as wet tissue paper. OK, maybe that's a good thing since the loft can peel it back to make a better repair...but a layer of urethane glue ("Goop") will bond a repair strip down solidly, even though that may need to set up overnight.

I guess the owner is going to get a bill for "ten coral reefs" in the mail, huh?
I've only used sail tape on some big old 1 oz (less?) nylon drifter. Keeps you sailing though. What happens at the loft with the goop repair? Pull out a panel? Maybe irrelevant, but if it costs more in the end and there are other options....Is this the preferred adhesive if you have the choice, urethane?

It is clear that going places with sails requires:

1) some basic sail repair skills.
2) lots of sail options
3) flexibility in landfall when you can't point as high, or the seaway is less pleasant on intended course, or etc

4)and last but not least - goop.

And here comes a storm.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:05   #247

Quote:
Minaret-
OK, condensation just happens. But that's not going to produce cup after cup after cup of water, unless someone has been ignoring it for a long time. (Maybe the folks who invented self-defrosting freezers need to get working on somethign similar to dry out diesel fuel tanks? :-)

I suggest you give Gorilla tape a try. It can be sewed while holding the halves of a tear together, is resistant to ultra violet radiation, moisture and wind. Less expensive than chandlery type rig wrap and sticky back sail repair material. Sold in white and black.

Contact cement and sail material kept for repair purposes is another favorite of mine.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:13   #248

5200 will repair a sail as well, better than I had thought. You have to wait for the curing time however. If you some spare material you can literally just 5200 a piece of dacron or canvas right on top like a bandaid. There are some tutorials and write ups floating around out there. Might not work well if you have a furler.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:22   #249
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
A few pages back I was going to start nudging the thread towards the current situation of the boat.....but I decided not to on the basis that anything helpful is regarded as criticism .

Admittedly I had only a picture of the boat (lying broadside on a reef) to go on and no FACTS!, but sometimes IME 2+2 does equal 4, and even if not then (IMO) reasonable to plan for that possibility. Obviously that a YMMV kinda thing .

Still, if OP does go to Mexico and finds his kaput boat has run up a large (environmental) bill and he does not have the cash to hand - he may well end up living somewhere receiving plenty of hugs , and possibly a bit more luvvin' . Still, at least many folks here will be happy that he gets to learn for self .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:31   #250

Quote:
A few pages back I was going to start nudging the thread towards the current situation of the boat.....but I decided not to on the basis that anything helpful is regarded as criticism .

Admittedly I had only a picture of the boat (lying broadside on a reef) to go on and no FACTS!, but sometimes IME 2+2 does equal 4, and even if not then (IMO) reasonable to plan for that possibility. Obviously that a YMMV kinda thing .

Still, if OP does go to Mexico and finds his kaput boat has run up a large (environmental) bill and he does not have the cash to hand - he may well end up living somewhere receiving plenty of hugs , and possibly a bit more luvvin' . Still, at least many folks here will be happy that he gets to learn for self .
This guy, his boat, and his decisions are a total mess. The only good that will come out of this is hopefully future mariners will realize that yes, it really does help to take this stuff seriously.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:33   #251

Quote:
I'm guessing most of the people here know the difference between constructive criticism and zingers. There are examples of both in this thread.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:36   #252

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

And he was happy his boat had been found!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he's not on his way down there to claim his prize.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:41   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
And he was happy his boat had been found!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he's not on his way down there to claim his prize.

Let's play a new game.

Constructive criticism, or zinger?

You make the call.
Old 01-08-2013, 13:42   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
This guy, his boat, and his decisions are a total mess.

Constructive criticism, or zinger?
Old 01-08-2013, 13:45   #255

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Constructive criticism, both counts.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, lost, paracelle