Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2013, 13:02   #391

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

Probably even more true when sailing downwind as it seemed the OP was doing.

Old 02-08-2013, 13:13   #392
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Boatman! ...it's not easy being a dick...

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
It is a hard life... and all that Yuengling that Andrew B sent has got me flopping all over the place...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:46   #393

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It is a hard life... and all that Yuengling that Andrew B sent has got me flopping all over the place...
Must be ....

because I'm having a really hard time believing you haven't suggested that he could have doused the main and made landfall under freeboard alone.....just in case he didn't expect the rigging to provide enough power....
Old 02-08-2013, 13:48   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Must be ....

because I'm having a really hard time believing you haven't suggested that he could have doused the main and made landfall under freeboard alone.....just in case he didn't expect the rigging to provide enough power....
Old 02-08-2013, 14:13   #395
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Must be ....

I challenge you to dock your boat one day using the freeboard to steer your boat. I can be done.

Not power -- steer. I had power. I didn't have steering.
Old 02-08-2013, 14:37   #396

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Oh - interesting report...

Spotty translation:

A new 10-meter sailing boat with American flag, named Serenity, ran aground off the coast of Xcalak, damaging more than 35 square meters of reef, including brain coral colonies and fire, reported, Maria del Carmen Garcia Rivas , Director of the Biosphere Reserve Banco Chinchorro.

The official in charge of this protected area, warned that this boat has endangered the acroporas or elkhorn species protection, which is stipulated in the Mexican Official Standard 059 environmental law.

He noted that already has filed the appropriate report to the PGR and Profepa so that investigations carried out and to identify and punish the owner and responsible for the damage to the marine ecosystem.
"On July 30 in the early morning a sailboat ran aground named Serenity, to us they told us at 8:30, went to the area about 3 kilómtros about where our station, and we review, is stuck a yacht of 10 meters length gringa flag and name Serenity, and no person on board, damaged about 35 square meters of reef, affecting species such as brain coral, fire coral and are at risk some acroporas palmatas or elkhorn, so and proceeded to make a report to the Attorney General's Office and the Federal Environmental Protection ".
The Serenity is the seventh boat that has run aground in the last four years in this area of ​​reef, which caused severe damage to these organisms that grow only 2 centimeters per year.

The interviewee said that the lack of signage in the area has been the main cause of several sailboats aground in this protected natural area.
"There is no signage, in fact I have a meeting with the SCT, but we have had two attempts to signal the area, but there are specifications Boating Law and we as Conanp not reach them, because they are very expensive buoys, but we can get buoys as we put on the reef to snorkel, but we would be in conversation with the SCT to tell and prevent further damage. "

He explained that when the grounding reaching the place, there were people on the boat, so it has already begun the search for those responsible, in addition to already working with the Secretary of the Navy, the PGR, Conanp and other authorities, for removal of the vessel as soon as possible, in order to prevent further impairment of the coral reef.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:39   #397
Armchair Bucketeer

The boat was abandoned twice (by a different Skipper) within a few days?!

The word "punish" does not forbode well for OP turning up........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:40   #398

"He explained that when the grounding reaching the place, there were people on the boat, so it has already begun the search for those responsible, in addition to already working with the Secretary of the Navy, the PGR, Conanp and other authorities, for removal of the vessel as soon as possible, in order to prevent further impairment of the coral reef."

OK....soooooo?????????????????????? all these posts and somebody back when was worried about what were facts or not????

Then again...are these facts?????
Old 02-08-2013, 14:43   #399

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parito View Post
Some people suggested sailing back under mainsail only.

I don't know about other boats, but my boat even with a _new_ mainsail barely crawls (if any) without a headsail up. Headsail is for driving and mainsail for balance..
Any boat should move with just the mainsail. You won't win any races, and probably won't be able to sail to windward very well, but you should be able to move.

One time I recovered a boat that had been grounded. There was no engine and no sails were on board. I found a small blue tarp and hoisted that up as a jib. It got us to a marina and safety -- slowly, but we made it. Fortunately it was a beam-reach or downwind, which may have not been the case in the OP's situation.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:44   #400

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

That is why, this skipper should never ever set foot in Mexico! They will want nothing less than his skin!

Mauritz
Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Pregnancy Certificate...Only a Dullah
Old 02-08-2013, 14:49   #401

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
"He explained that when the grounding reaching the place, there were people on the boat, so it has already begun the search for those responsible,
Wonder if someone boarded the adrift boat and was going to sail it to a port and claim salvage rights?
Old 02-08-2013, 14:52   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Wonder if someone boarded the adrift boat and was going to sail it to a port and claim salvage rights?
If I was the original owner that would be my defense.... I was headed back to the Caymans and the boat was trimmed for that...the other guys hit the reef!
Old 02-08-2013, 14:55   #403

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Boatman 61 wrote,
" fear can be debilitating to many !" Absolutely so. And people differ in styles of handling fear. My style is to own up to the fear to myself, and then try to manage the situation. But that style is only one of many, including the throwing up the hands and screaming for help one. I have no real data to back this up, but I do think that the subtle training people get to let other people make decisions for them, and not take personal responsibility for outcomes is a pervasive and deleterious part of our society. ...and it ill fits its members to cross oceans, because they make terrible assumptions, like driving a boat is no different from driving a car, and the GPS'll tell me how to get there; or how about the "they'll rescue me" assumption...

How unreal can you get? They'll rescue you if you can ask, if the rescue guys are there, if there's fuel for their boat and if it's in good nick, if they don't kill you in the process, or your boat crush you, if they could find you in time--I'm sure you can think of more ifs. Too many possible failure modes. So today's new cruisers have unrealistic expectations. And taking a few lessons just doesn't teach them what a sailing apprenticeship would have. Which is why the advice to work your way up in boat size is around. Smaller boats teach you faster.

It is actually more unsafe for cruisers starting out today than for us who started before SatNav, because they trust electronics and underrate the effects of chance events, because they have too many dollars, and not even rudimentary mechanical ability accompanied by little desire to learn, and big egos, little experience. Someone can be quite competent, own his or her own business, manage employess, make profits, and still be ill equipped to skipper his/her own vessel. Different skill sets are required.

It is not from a desire to condemn Mr. Serenity that I write all this, but because it's such a waste, was all preventable, and is ever more common. What a shame!

Ann

PS, in re-reading this, I did not mean that real rescues can not happen. I think a number of SAR outfits do amazing and wonderful rescues. It is just that rescue really isn't as cut and dried as some people seem to believe, especially when there is a violent sea state.
You you really hit the nail on the head with that post. Exactly what I have been trying to say.

It is also becoming very apparent which forum members are true and competent sailors (responsible adults) and which are not.
Old 02-08-2013, 14:56   #404
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Oh - interesting report...

Spotty translation:

... "

He explained that when the grounding reaching the place, there were people on the boat, so it has already begun the search for those responsible, in addition to already working with the Secretary of the Navy, the PGR, Conanp and other authorities, for removal of the vessel as soon as possible, in order to prevent further impairment of the coral reef.

Would have been cheaper and better all around to have helped the fellow out when he asked for it.
Old 02-08-2013, 14:59   #405

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Boatman! ...it's not easy being a dick...

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Sure it is. I can do it without even trying...just ask anyone I work with...or my kids...or my wife....

I think I'll go and stick my head in a bucket for a while!

Tags
Honduras, lost, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: