Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 14:42   #16

Re: Registration Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov93 View Post
Yeah I don't want to get her valued as I don't want to get slugged for the true value or there perceived value! I want to go low but not too low that they say ok we want it valued mister!!! Fine line!!!
as the previous owner had it imported stating a low price in NZ I am still wondering if I should go for gold and claim a similar price in Australia with the old kiwi documentation as a kind of backup!

Saying that again im afraid the Oz customs wont buy it and along comes there valuer at my expense! a similar thing happened to a mate of mine he did not have NZ import documentation though but he stated a price they declined it bought in a valuer at his cost and he quoted extremely high! probably as punishment for trying it !!,Any thoughts???

Now thanks to the previous posts I think I have got a grasp of what needs to be done for entering! Bummed that they will surely class me as a permanent resident even though I am a kiwi and it says in black and white on there web page permanant residents will be charged tax and duty and not get the year cruising visa! I can't see a way around this ???

And as previous posts have mentioned there know fools they deal with this everyday! Hah they probably read threads like this to if there sailers themselves as some of them know doubt would be! It just seem like a **** load money! Hard earned money but hey that's capitalism and OZ ain't the only country extorting! There all at it! Bless them

Cheers once more
Oh I re read your post ! You want me to junk her! This is true genius on paying low tax and duty! Finally a practical loophole
Kristov93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:51   #17

Oh and a bit of thread I have a flare gun on board! I like it! Will they take it!
Old 04-12-2013, 14:52   #18

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
You hire the valuer, not Customs.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:03   #19

Re: Registration Help pleeeeasssse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
The more I read about that police state the less i wish to visit....
Whenever regulations come up, someone likens somewhere to a police state. What do you think a police state is? Clue - it's not a country with a lot of regulations. It's one where the police are used to further the political ends of a particular ruler.

Examples would be Nazi Germany, South Africa under apartheid, the Soviet Union, and China.

Police state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...en_and_red.png
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Police State, Only if you ride a motor bike in Queensland, Your automatically a criminal,

Stay out of Queensland, Hahahahaha
That's stretching it too Mr B but yeah I don't agree with that law and one would think the courts won't eventually! If they do now that's food for thought!

Give the police to much power and they will abuse it!! Quick to swap sides too! Bless

Any loophole yet people ,there are none are there ! Damn the system
Old 04-12-2013, 16:31   #21

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov93 View Post
Oh and a bit of thread I have a flare gun on board! I like it! Will they take it!
Yes. Customs will take your Flare gun off you and give it back to you 3 days later,

But it is classified as a fire arm in OZ,

And the Police will confiscate it off you if you dont have the appropriate gun licence for it,

I took mine down to the local Police station and handed mine in,
After phoning them and telling them I was bringing a Flare Gun in, In a box, Hahahaha,

I did ring the Water Police and asked them about it first, They checked it out and said it was Illegal to carry them here, And to hand it in to the Local Police station,

Flare Guns do carry huge fines for an unregistered hand gun with no licence for it,

Mine came with my Boat,
Excellent bit of kit, Flare Guns, Very easy and simple to use,

It can Even be tied to your clothing in the water and it will still work, Wet,
Which is what it is supposed to do,

Try bobbing around in the Ocean and trying to get one of those Stick Flares happening, Hahahahaha,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Yes. Customs will take your Flare gun off you and give it back to you 3 days later,

But it is classified as a fire arm in OZ,

And the Police will confiscate it off you if you dont have the appropriate gun licence for it,

I took mine down to the local Police station and handed mine in,
After phoning them and telling them I was bringing a Flare Gun in, In a box, Hahahaha,

I did ring the Water Police and asked them about it first, They checked it out and said it was Illegal to carry them here, And to hand it in to the Local Police station,

Flare Guns do carry huge fines for an unregistered hand gun with no licence for it,

Mine came with my Boat,
Excellent bit of kit, Flare Guns, Very easy and simple to use,

It can Even be tied to your clothing in the water and it will still work, Wet,
Which is what it is supposed to do,

Try bobbing around in the Ocean and trying to get one of those Stick Flares happening, Hahahahaha,
Damn there gonna take my flare gun too! Will sell it in new cal to a yachtie! Prob get busted for arms dealing!! I guess there is no point concealing it on board and pleading ignorance if they discover it! My flaregun I was so happy when I found that on board! That hurts
Old 05-12-2013, 03:01   #23

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

How long can an OZ registered boat purchased O/S by an Australian cruise in OZ before Duties / Taxes are demanded?
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:38   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
How long can an OZ registered boat purchased O/S by an Australian cruise in OZ before Duties / Taxes are demanded?
A boat owned by an Australian incurs the tax liability immediately on arrival.

However if you buy a boat that has previously had the taxes paid, and remained an Autralian registered boat, I don't think you need to pay the taxes again. If that is what you mean I suggest checking further to be sure.

As for those scared of valuations, I would not be too concerned. There are valuers you can engage that know how to justify a low value. When I was planning to buy overseas I spoke to one who said his values are about what you would expect to net out of a sale if the boat went to auction, or lower.

Sorry I don't have any names to recommend as I changed my plans.

Of course, if a boat is purchased in the last 12 months, customs will usually accept the overseas purchase price plus cost of getting it here as the value.

There is another long thread on this subject with lots of information.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alia-3346.html
Old 05-12-2013, 04:00   #25

Boat: Tayana 52
The free trade agreement with US for US manufactured boats only started in 2000 or something like that. Our boat was 1991 and we were told we had to pay. You don't have to import to sell as others advise as you can get a 12 month permit but if you want to import ( and ours was Australian registered) AQIS had to clear the boat first which took us 3 months before Customs had to be paid.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:00   #26

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Our boat was 1991 and we were told we had to pay.
Good to know. I need to be ready to pay 15% of the valuation.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:21   #27

We sold the boat as soon as we could and fortunately signed up with an agent prior to submitting the boat value to Customs. As it turned out, the agent was also a licenced valuer for Customs so he gave us his value, we paid the appropriate duty then we sold the boat for more.
Old 06-12-2013, 00:20   #28

Another issue not mentioned here and may not apply to you is that AQIS wanted to know if the boat had been slipped in the last 12 months for a bottom job, what paint was used and did you have the receipts. In part I think this was because you could still buy tin based paint in the Caribbean. ( you can still buy a tin based 'booster').
If they didn't like the paint that was on the boat they could demand the paint be stripped in an approved manner and then replaced with right stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Another issue not mentioned here and may not apply to you is that AQIS wanted to know if the boat had been slipped in the last 12 months for a bottom job, what paint was used and did you have the receipts. In part I think this was because you could still buy tin based paint in the Caribbean. ( you can still buy a tin based 'booster').
If they didn't like the paint that was on the boat they could demand the paint be stripped in an approved manner and then replaced with right stuff.
Thanks, never knew that. I'd be buying some "AQIS happy"antifoul just to get the receipts.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39   #30

Or do what others were doing and buy approved anti foul on one receipt and tin booster on another.

Tags
registration