Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 03:34   #1

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Registering a yacht in Australia

One of these days I have to register at least one yacht in Australia. I plan to travel a bit further than the coastline. The trouble with this is you need a full history and the buildre's name, and AMSA want to do everything by snail mail.

Has anyone been through this procedure, and how painful is it?

After all, for NZ$950 I can get onto the New Zealand registry for 5 years with nothing more than filling in a form.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

You can register in your state, or claim you live in NT and do not need to register at all. Even in your state you will need all the same info.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:26   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
One of these days I have to register at least one yacht in Australia. I plan to travel a bit further than the coastline. The trouble with this is you need a full history and the buildre's name, and AMSA want to do everything by snail mail.

After all, for NZ$950 I can get onto the New Zealand registry for 5 years with nothing more than filling in a form.
Are you talking about listing a yacht on the shipping list?

Why do you want to do this? Where are you planning on going?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I presume you have state registration? And are enquiring about federal registration, i.e. shipping register?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Australia had 3 types of boat registration, each with a number:

1. HIN (Hull Identification Number), mandatory, an once-only application and affiction of a small number (plate), all new boats come with one. Older boats can be given a HIN by qualified ‘measurers’, approx cost $90 to $200.

2. A state registration, mandatory, to be renewed yearly, don’t know in other states, but in WA it is $469 per year for a 10 to 20 metre boat. Generally the numbers need to be displayed on either side of the hull, or on the stern (different states have different rules).

3. The Australian shipping register is also open to recreational vessels. Application cost is as complex as most government departments are. The once-only cost is $1554 for a newly registered boat, or $444 for a transfer fee for a boat that is already on the register
a. This is a voluntary registration for vessels staying in local waters
b. This registration is mandatory if the vessel is taken to another country
Numbers are put on/engraved/routed/welded on a non-removable item inside the boat.

I believe the OP is referring to enter his boat on the Australian register. List of fees can be found here:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...stration-fees/

Indeed many forms need to be filled out, and if some information is missing as it often is the case of older boats never been on the register, a statuary declaration may suffice, BUT ONLY…… if one covers all angles and can ‘prove’ one attempted every reasonable effort to get all the information.

If the boat is smaller than 12 metre, it can be entered on the register even if the owner has another nationality, but needs to be an Australian resident.
For a boat larger than that, the owner or the person who owns more than 50% need to have Australian nationality.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50   #6

Boat: CT34

Below is hank on the water and is best answer but needs a bit more info.

My addition
Australian registration is mandatory if an australian boat is exiting australia.

CAnnot have both STATE and AUST reg
Exception is NT> No vessel registration needed

AUST registration trumps state registration BUT

I know for a fact that VIC, NSW and QLD laws state that the vessel must have state registration unless the vessel is intended to depart australia in the reasonably near future in which case must have AUST reg. cannot have an unregistered vessel. Courts have upheld this over and over. This info is a few years old but a mate of mine was head of the water police. He cautioned me that I need QLD reg not AUST reg and explained the realities.

I have put Aust reg on 2 vessels that have had minimal (like zero) docs.
AMSA accepted a stat dec to cover the docs but I still needed to do the measuring. They will accept the owners measurements if the owner can satisfy them as to experience and ability. (I did my own on NOVA KERRIA)

The above info is 6-8 years old and correct at the time.

below is from hank on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post

1. HIN (Hull Identification Number), mandatory, an once-only application and affiction of a small number (plate), all new boats come with one. Older boats can be given a HIN by qualified ‘measurers’, approx cost $90 to $200.

2. A state registration, mandatory, to be renewed yearly, don’t know in other states, but in WA it is $469 per year for a 10 to 20 metre boat. Generally the numbers need to be displayed on either side of the hull, or on the stern (different states have different rules).

3. The Australian shipping register is also open to recreational vessels. Application cost is as complex as most government departments are. The once-only cost is $1554 for a newly registered boat, or $444 for a transfer fee for a boat that is already on the register
Numbers are put on/engraved/routed/welded on a non-removable item inside the boat.

I believe the OP is referring to enter his boat on the Australian register. List of fees can be found here:

Indeed many forms need to be filled out, and if some information is missing as it often is the case of older boats never been on the register, a statuary declaration may suffice, BUT ONLY…… if one covers all angles and can ‘prove’ one attempted every reasonable effort to get all the information.

If the boat is smaller than 12 metre, it can be entered on the register even if the owner has another nationality, but needs to be an Australian resident.
For a boat larger than that, the owner or the person who owns more than 50% need to have Australian nationality.
julius222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 13:45   #7

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I am going thru the process at the moment, seems to be proceeding ok, the Marking note is a bit extreme having to have the lettering 100mm high ending up with a plaque about 450mm long that has to be attached in view of the main bulkhead. I only had a bill of sale signed by the husband of the past owners but since the previous Canadian registration had his partners name on it, I am in the process of having to get a new bill of sale sent to Canada and signed by both of them and then sent back to me. I hope that this is able to be done. I am not planning to go overseas for a couple of years, but I like the idea of a one of rego fee then no more. I checked with the local waterways officer and he said it was right that I didn't need state rego if I had Australian Rego, and he is the bloke that does the righting out of fines so his word is good for me.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:19   #8

Quote:

very good summary. Very informative.

Tas rego is only about $79
Old 06-10-2015, 14:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius222 View Post
Below is hank on the water and is best answer but needs a bit more info.

My addition
Australian registration is mandatory if an australian boat is exiting australia.

CAnnot have both STATE and AUST reg
Exception is NT> No vessel registration needed

AUST registration trumps state registration BUT

I know for a fact that VIC, NSW and QLD laws state that the vessel must have state registration unless the vessel is intended to depart australia in the reasonably near future in which case must have AUST reg. cannot have an unregistered vessel. Courts have upheld this over and over. This info is a few years old but a mate of mine was head of the water police. He cautioned me that I need QLD reg not AUST reg and explained the realities.

I have put Aust reg on 2 vessels that have had minimal (like zero) docs.
AMSA accepted a stat dec to cover the docs but I still needed to do the measuring. They will accept the owners measurements if the owner can satisfy them as to experience and ability. (I did my own on NOVA KERRIA)

The above info is 6-8 years old and correct at the time.

below is from hank on the water

I'm sorry, but when I see information like this, it has to be corrected.

Of course you can have both State and Federal registration. They are two different things. All vessels over a certain size motor MUST have state registration. Recreationsal vessels don't have to have 'Federal listing'.

Federal 'registration' does not 'trump' state registration. They are two different things. Entirely.

And yes, when in Queensland and all other states, you must have your vessel registered regardless of whether it's listed as a ship or not.
Old 06-10-2015, 14:29   #10

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I am going thru the process at the moment, seems to be proceeding ok, the Marking note is a bit extreme having to have the lettering 100mm high ending up with a plaque about 450mm long that has to be attached in view of the main bulkhead.
Thanks for the info, Akapeterc. I'm in the same boat, so to speak, to get national registration in order to sail abroad. Didn't know about the marking of 100mm but now that you mention it, I've seen boats with large plaques when I was boat hunting. Those plaques seemed a bit out of place indeed.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Thanks for the info, Akapeterc. I'm in the same boat, so to speak, to get national registration in order to sail abroad. Didn't know about the marking of 100mm but now that you mention it, I've seen boats with large plaques when I was boat hunting. Those plaques seemed a bit out of place indeed.
A warning with what I'm about to say, because I've not been overseas, but my boat had. Mine is listed and the 'plaque' is inside and carved in wood as part of a wall. Looks rather traditional.

As for the name on the outside, the name was just on the bow on each side and that's all I'm intending on putting back on when I paint it in a few weeks with the home port on the Stern. But, with recreational boats I've been told it's not that bigger a deal and authorities don't push it as long as the information is there. So you can make the name look quite nice. 100mm is not too big on most vessels listed.

But like I say, I've not tested this by having left and come back in.
Old 06-10-2015, 15:01   #12

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post

It took us 10 months to finalize the process of registering our Liberty 458 on the Aussie ships register. We purchased in the US in 2013 and liveaboard in San Francisco.

The process is straightforward. Our delays were caused by gaining the final sales paperwork.

We escrowed half the purchase price as there was a void lien with a bank acquired by a bank acquired by another bank that hadnt sorted their records out 13 years earlier.

Our marine documentation service in san diego found this during the closing activity.

The remaining delays were caused by AMSA only having one person who went on holidays, training and who knows what.

They kept asking for silly information not on their formal forms. Theoretical boat speed they asked for 6 times. Eventually they read our 6 emails and woke up.

They specify the marking and name location. We marked the stern and aft quarters, not the bow as demanded by them. We also added a plaque with both US and new Australian markings.

They never even asked for a photo. I could have been registering a sock for all they knew. How they manage search and rescue requests for information is a concern. That's what we pay our money for.

They only provide 32? Hailing port options but Hansard records this as not the case. You can request anywhere just like the US. The federal parliament even discussed whether Australia should have a ships register at all. Apparently there were only 60 commercial vessels at the time Australia moved from the British register. Not surprising there is only one bloke processing requests.

Its expensive, $1300, but at least it is for life.

I'm still trying to update MMSIs to the Aussie register.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 15:09   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What is the $950 NZ registery? Last I checked it was several thousand and good for life, but transfers are nearly as much. I owned a NZ registered yacht for some time in Picton, but did not transfer thru Wellington as it was something like $1500 just to transfer.

Now I've sold her the current owner is trying to figure out where to come up with the money to register. We're talking a 10K home built boat here. He'll probably never get to Cat 1 anyway so won't matter.
Old 06-10-2015, 17:30   #14

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm sorry, but when I see information like this, it has to be corrected.

Of course you can have both State and Federal registration. They are two different things. All vessels over a certain size motor MUST have state registration. Recreationsal vessels don't have to have 'Federal listing'.

Federal 'registration' does not 'trump' state registration. They are two different things. Entirely. .
I agree with the above comments of RusticCharm.

The following applies to recreational vessels in West Australia, it may or may not apply to other states:

a. When one has a state registered boat and that leaves the (navigable waters of that) state ie going overseas or interstate (or just on the hard for a few years), one can drop the state registration, ie by just not renewing the yearly fee, and when returning apply for a new state registration at a fee/fine of $26.50 and, of course, the yearly fee applicable to that kind of boat.

b. If a foreign vessel (OZ, other than WA, or international) enters WA and stays in this state, generally one does not need a WA state registration for 3 months. Although I have seen vessels, that have been here for years, and never had a WA registration. However those who stay in the same area do get caught eventually. A fine can be dished out (asked me how I know), and a WA registration and payment demanded.

c. There is an official requirement for those visiting/traveling vessels to 'register' in WA at a cost of $9.50, valid for 3 months. Again, I have seen very little use of this requirement.

d. I could give information on what boats should have a WA registration and what kind of boats are exempted, but that would be outside the scope of this thread.

Here is a link to the WA fees structure (page 1)
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...ete201516b.pdf
Old 06-10-2015, 17:43   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I agree with the above comments of RusticCharm.

The following applies to recreational vessels in West Australia, it may or may not apply to other states:

b. If a foreign vessel (OZ, other than WA, or international) enters WA and stays in this state, generally one does not need a WA state registration for 3 months.

For Queensland there is no timed exemption for vessels from other states, just the requirement that the vessel be on an "interstate voyage":

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boa...tml#interstate

"Recreational boats with valid interstate or overseas registration can operate in Queensland:
  • for up to 1 year if the boat has current registration from a foreign country
  • while on interstate voyages if the boat has current registration from another state or territory.
If you move to Queensland from another state or territory, or your interstate or foreign registration expires, you must get Queensland registration."

Note the "current registration from another state of territory" - so if it's an unregistered NT vessel, they don't even get that exemption and must register as soon as they reach Qld waters.

(So legally, every Darwin based boat that sails to TI, Cairns or beyond before striking off into the Coral Sea or South Pacific needs to get a Qld registration)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht