Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 03:49   #61
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
A hard earned thirst, needs a good cold beer and the best cold beer is Vic, Victoria Bitter! (Great ad )
Yes it was a good add. But our beer is made from 100% pure Tasmanian water. It makes things better. All things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	110741  
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 13:46   #62
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes it was a good add. But our beer is made from 100% pure Tasmanian water. It makes things better. All things.
No doubt my rellies down in Nubeena would agree with you there.
__________________

__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 21:45   #63
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
...and when within the State to which the home port belongs for less than 3 months...a foreign vessel? Seems odd.
This covers the case of the AMSA registered cruising yacht in transit through its home state with expired state registration - say, after circumnavigating or travelling abroad - and also avoids the silliness in NSW where, currently, no Australia registered yacht can enter state waters without also having state registration, even if based in the NT.

Marine Rescue Sydney always get totally flustered when a reporting yacht doesn't have a local registration number and quotes their Australian registration.

Quote:
...and for those (perhaps majority of?) vessels who never leave their home State? Presumably still just State registration for them?
Exactly.

Quote:
Fair enuf in NZ, but in OZ with all the States' registration systems, the whole name protection thing disappears as its currently administered. Only the Aust Register of Ships seems to be concerned with name protection...at least as we understand the system!
Yeah, it doesn't work here. Then again a yacht registered in any other country could also have the same name.

Quote:
Call us emotional perhaps, but we kinda like the Aus flag proudly flying on CatNirvana's stern...and that (along with making our small contributions to maritime administration in our beautiful waters) is enough incentive for us!
Fair enough.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 21:55   #64
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sometimes I am so sadly misinformed I could cry. It turns out my rego is a bit under $400 and I could register the tender for less than $20. I don't know how I got it in my head that the tender would be a couple of hundred but I am now kicking myself for not registering it straight away. I suspect the initial rego cost is the hard part as I will need a HIN number and having that fitted to the tender will cost more than the dear old thing is actually worth. Still, the main thing here is to correct my misinformation before someone believes me.
From my reading of the SA Transport site a rowboat isn't required to be registered at all. Generally tenders are exempt in most states too, in some cases even if they have a small engine attached.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...ng-a-motorboat

Another example of the wide variety of rules and regulations which were only considered in the context of local boat users when they were enacted.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 22:20   #65
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
For what it's worth, I was quite happy to leave NZ with its very restrictive cat 1 requirements for any NZ registered boats going overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Academic but I would choose Aust flag before NZ flag simply because of the Cat 1 business.
I agree that's pretty strict, but the NZ government has a lot of territory to cover with very limited resources. But when you look at the list of requirements some of them are clearly stupid.

Examples:

Three fire extinguishers, radar reflector, three GPSes, certified life raft. They clearly need to distinguish between the requirements of cruising yachts and racing yachts.

I'm sure it will change in time.

As stated earlier though it would be a reasonable flag if you were not intending to visit NZ, or if you were intending to take a yacht to NZ permanently. Certainly a lot easier than getting on the Australian General Register, which some here claim can take up to a year.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:23   #66
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
From my reading of the SA Transport site a rowboat isn't required to be registered at all. Generally tenders are exempt in most states too, in some cases even if they have a small engine attached.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...ng-a-motorboat

Another example of the wide variety of rules and regulations which were only considered in the context of local boat users when they were enacted.
Thanks for the link Haiqu. I've read and re-read that page, and as far as I can tell, as soon as I put the 3.5hp outboard on the back of the tender, I need to register it. So, in preparation I brought the tender home on Sunday and it is now sitting on the trailer waiting for me to make a couple of phone calls today to organise a HIN number so that I can register it. Seems crazy, and like you say, so variable between states.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 16:02   #67
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thanks for the link Haiqu. I've read and re-read that page, and as far as I can tell, as soon as I put the 3.5hp outboard on the back of the tender, I need to register it. So, in preparation I brought the tender home on Sunday and it is now sitting on the trailer waiting for me to make a couple of phone calls today to organise a HIN number so that I can register it. Seems crazy, and like you say, so variable between states.

Matt
That sucks.. reading through all that crap it looks like SA treats boats almost as strict as cars.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 17:34   #68
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
That sucks.. reading through all that crap it looks like SA treats boats almost as strict as cars.
But unlike cars you don't get much for your money. At least in Tassie your car rego gives you basic medical, death and injury liability insurance.

This cuts you car insurance costs considerably.



Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 17:41   #69
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
But unlike cars you don't get much for your money. At least in Tassie your car rego gives you basic medical, death and injury liability insurance.

This cuts you car insurance costs considerably.



Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I thought MAIB insurance was compulsary all over Australia?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 18:58   #70
Registered User
 
Capt Rottnest's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: FN QLD
Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Posts: 209
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

About state rego trumps ASMA rego thing. True in all states except Victoria apparently. Friend of mine built his 34' boat and registered with Aus shipping, it sits in Victorian waters and Victorian registration is not needed. Lucky bloke..

We have Aus shipping registration because we do plan to head OS, we've cruised through 4 states, now we've stopped in NSW for over 3 months, Maritime guys put the word on us, now we're NSW registered too
__________________
Cruising a junk blog
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 19:50   #71
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
About state rego trumps ASMA rego thing. True in all states except Victoria apparently. Friend of mine built his 34' boat and registered with Aus shipping, it sits in Victorian waters and Victorian registration is not needed. Lucky bloke..

We have Aus shipping registration because we do plan to head OS, we've cruised through 4 states, now we've stopped in NSW for over 3 months, Maritime guys put the word on us, now we're NSW registered too

State registration doesn't 'trump AMSA rego thing'.. They are two entirely different things.

If there is an exemption in Victoria for AMSA registered recreational vessels then that exemption has been made by the Safety Director under the states Marine Safety Act. Which there could be, but I'd have my doubts.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 20:17   #72
Registered User
 
Capt Rottnest's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: FN QLD
Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Posts: 209
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
State registration doesn't 'trump AMSA rego thing'.. They are two entirely different things.
..and yet AMSA is acceptable in lieu of state rego in all states for first 3 months...

Quote:
If there is an exemption in Victoria for AMSA registered recreational vessels then that exemption has been made by the Safety Director under the states Marine Safety Act. Which there could be, but I'd have my doubts.
From the transportsafety.vic.gov.au

"Operators of vessels that are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) under the Shipping Registration Act 1981 should contact Transport Safety Victoria to see if they qualify for an exemption from State registration. "

Must be how my friend does it..
__________________
Cruising a junk blog
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 20:25   #73
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
..and yet AMSA is acceptable in lieu of state rego in all states for first 3 months...

From the transportsafety.vic.gov.au

"Operators of vessels that are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) under the Shipping Registration Act 1981 should contact Transport Safety Victoria to see if they qualify for an exemption from State registration. "

Must be how my friend does it..

It's not that AMSA registration is acceptable in lieu of state rego in the states. It's actually about giving 'visitors' from over seas a grace time in which to visit, or live in that state. Most visiting boats don't have AMSA registration, they are boats visiting from interstate, and therefore the states give those people a grace time of around 3 months to visit or to move permamently. If it's an Australian recreational vessel, whether you have AMSA registration is irrelevant. You need 'state' registration from the day you enter into the states waters. (with the exception of NT because they don't have registration).
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 20:33   #74
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If there is an exemption in Victoria for AMSA registered recreational vessels then that exemption has been made by the Safety Director under the states Marine Safety Act. Which there could be, but I'd have my doubts.

It seems crazy, but it is true. When we bought our boat in Victoria I got all the paperwork including a copy of the letters to and from VicRoads and saw the stated exemption. So the previous owner had the boat and the tender covered under AMSA-only registration for ten years. The lucky buggers!

Meanwhile I have been going through the process of registering the tender. So far I am up to AU$130 worth of paperwork. That's actually at lot more than the tender is worth. But it will be nice to be able to use the old 3.5 HP outboard again.



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 20:42   #75
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It seems crazy, but it is true. When we bought our boat in Victoria I got all the paperwork including a copy of the letters to and from VicRoads and saw the stated exemption. So the previous owner had the boat and the tender covered under AMSA-only registration for ten years. The lucky buggers!

Meanwhile I have been going through the process of registering the tender. So far I am up to AU$130 worth of paperwork. That's actually at lot more than the tender is worth. But it will be nice to be able to use the old 3.5 HP outboard again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Down this way, your Tender is covered by the Yacht's registration, as long as it's not used too far from the main boat. Not sure off the cuff how far that is.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Boat in Maryland, Registering in Australia - Seeking Immediate Cruising Permit ianlgv Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 19 25-11-2014 16:34
For Sale: Yacht Gear & Sails - Yacht sold recently. Australia / Sydney or Snowy Area ribbony Classifieds Archive 2 26-04-2014 19:56
For Sale: Yacht Gear Surplus - Yacht sold recently. Sydney / Australia ribbony Classifieds Archive 3 17-04-2014 03:31
registering exUS yacht to avoid Cat1 gull Monohull Sailboats 23 09-02-2013 21:52
Registering, and Re-Registering, in a Way to Avoid Sales Tax UWOA Dollars & Cents 5 18-06-2010 10:58



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.